Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We now have a plump 22oz cornish hen tucked into our freezer. Gonna leave it out tomorrow morning to thaw a bit; then once I'm back from work around noonish Robbie's gonna hack away at it with some shears and divvy up Kahlua's meals for the next week.

I'm nervous, and excited; I kinda have a feeling she's gonna do her 'Mom.. wtf..' look when I hand her a piece but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Few quick questions; when cutting up the hen into the little 1oz pieces; assuming it's not difficult is it okay to actually cut through the bone to divide it up? Or are you only supposed to break it apart at the joints? I didn't think it'd make a difference since either way it's still gonna be chewed but figured I'd ask.

And also, since I plan on starting it tomorrow around lunch; should I NOT give her breakfast (Evo)? I've read about some people recommending a fast first.

Lastly, because she had hypoglycemia issues as a REALLY young pup; I've always made a point to feed her 4 meals a day. Now that I'm going raw and she's just going to get a oz piece, twice daily; is that going to cause any issues?? It'll be the first time in her life she's only eaten two meals a day. Would it be overkill if I gave her a few kicks of Nutrical in between meals just for my own comfort or is that not necessary? I know from the 'whats on your menu' thread that 2 meals a day seems pretty normal, but I'm just paranoid lol.

Edit to add:
Not trying to be nasty, but we visited Valley Produce today (which has a primarily imported/ethnic market, but it's a huuuuge store, i LOVE it) which has tons of.. shall we say.. interesting meat available.
So uhh.. chicken feet. Is that considered bone...? Or what..? They're ridiculously inexpensive and I just kinda wondered if that would be treat only or how that could be incorporated in eventually lol.
Can an eyeball be fed...? I think beef was what they had. Not that I'm sure I could stomach feeding it, but I thought I'd ask anyway, LOL.
And not that it's exotic, but is a chicken neck considered primarily bone I'm guessing?? They're also VERY inexpensive there.
And my boss called and I don't have to work tomorrow, sooo that mean Kahlua begins with breakfast tomorrow.. yay!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, sorry I am no help but I have searched and searched what is the benefit of going raw. Are they saying raw is better than Nutro . I feed my chi Nutro puppy.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raw is definitely better than ANY kibble... that is, when it's done properly!! I won't go into too much detail since I'm clearly still a newbie on the matter; but if you read some of the other threads in this Raw Foods catagory you'll see why a lot of people choose it.

Raw is basically the way nature intended for a dog to eat!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yay!! How exciting! I hope things go well & Kahlua takes to her new food ok. I would think there wouldn't be much of a risk of hypoglycemia since she's an older pup & much bigger than when she suffered as a wee pup. If you wanted to give her a shot of nutrical in between meals for a bit I don't suppose it would do any harm but I am sure she would be ok w/o.

When sectioning off the hen I'd try to keep sectioning off at the joints if possible. Its hard when giving such small pieces though so if you had to cut I wouldnt worry. I always cut our backs & have never had an issue due to cutting the bone. Some may dissagree but its hard feeding our little guys w/o cutting because of their small intake.

As for the ethnic supermarket--score!! Wish I could find some place like that locally! Chicken feet I'd probably give as an occassional treat. They contain glucosamine which does wonderful things for their joints. I really don't know about the eyeballs...I may skip those myself. LOL As for the chicken necks...I personally love them! They are bone heavy (can be anywhere from 30%-50% bone depending) but they are great for the occassional small meal...just be sure to feed a meaty meal on the second meal that day and/or when you add in some organ. We fed soley necks for the first two weeks my pups did raw & they had ZERO GI upset which amazed me!

Anyway, the benefits of raw include but are not limited to the following:

Dental benefits: chewing, knawing, pulling meat off the bone naturally cleans & flosses the teeth. Dental disease is the biggest culprit of many doggy illnesses including heart troubles. A dog with clean teeth free from tartar build up is a dog free from dental disease and any illness associated with it.

Natural: simply put you know what is going into your dogs mouth. It isn't filled with fillers, byproducts or any other potentially harmful chemicals found in many kibbles. It is what nature intended canines to eat. Dogs are classified carnivores...check out those teeth! Raw is what they were designed to eat.

No doggy smell: foul dog odor is commonly caused by the chemicals & unnecessary ingredients found in many kibbles. Raw fed dogs do not have that unpleasant odor. And because of the dental benefits do not have that signature fishy breath of a dog with access tartar build up.

Minimum shedding & great skin & coat condition: I've witnessed my own pups go from constant shedding machines to absolutely no shedding after being on raw. They still do a seasonal shed but even my SC's who shed all year round became more seasonal. My pups skin has never been healthier. No dander...even Marley who was nutorious for having dry skin even though he was fed EVO which is one of the "best" kibbles out there.

Easy to process: going back to the natural thing. Kibble is quite difficult for dogs to process. Once the kibble enters the dogs system it needs time to sit, absort moisture in order to break down properly. A dogs digestive system wasn't made to let food sit like ours. Its system is very short & meant to move food on at a quick rate. Raw food digests in approx 4 hours. Kibble takes closer to 8-12hrs.

Keeping them mentally & physically content: there is nothing like a dog who has worked hard on cleaning off a big bone. It takes thinking & skill to get all the meat off. It keeps their brain working. It also gives the stomach time to get the digestive juices flowing before its filled with food. The raw food then digest at a better rate as I mentioned above.

That is all I can think of at the moment. Hopefully I didn't forget anything obvious! Other than most pups LOVE raw meat. Hehe ;)

I can say all this & I read many things before I started feeding raw but I think until you actually experience the benefits for youself its hard to fully understand. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts