Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well the other night we came homw to a message from the police department of a black bear roaming the area. bears are not common in this area of new jersey so everyone is all freaked out. not me i'd like to see it in person 9i'm like freakin steve irwin over here!) well sadly my daughter overheard and is frightened! i tried to reassure her and tell her that there is nothing to be afraid of it hasn't posed a threat ect but she insists that we are all in danger. i told her that i'm not worried about it and the park rangers and the animal control officers are going to capture it and take it back to it's home soon but she's so scared. she works herself into such a frenzy her heart starts beating real hard and fast (she has anxiety attacks, i know for a 5 year old it's sad.)

i was just wondering if anyone ahs any advice on what i could do to help ease this fear for her?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
How about taking her too a zoo to show her the bears and that they arent bothered with us and theres nothing too be scared of (although I would be lol :lol: )

·
Registered
936 Posts
Ozzy&Lilys'sMom said:
How about taking her too a zoo to show her the bears and that they arent bothered with us and theres nothing too be scared of (although I would be lol :lol: )

That's a really good idea. I would also just keep reassuring her and explain to her in detail that the rangers and so forth are trained for these incidents, and will do everything in their power to protect the community and your daughter. Also maybe if you told her Chiwi could hear an animal from far away, that it would give you plenty of time to make sure all the doors and stuff were locked. Basically just let her know that a bear can't get you guys... :wink: .

I remember when the Malibu fires were going on I was terrified. I heard it was on Pacific Coast Highway, little did I know at the time that PCH was so long. So I thought it was just down the street from me. I couldnt go to bed that night. Then the next night my stepdad at the time noticed that we could see the fires from our balcony. Then i realized it wasn't as close as I thought...LOL. Reassurance at the time would have helped.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she's been to the zoo, and we frequently go to popcorn park zoo (run by the humane society they have animals that were kept as pets that shouldn't have been such as lions, tigers, bears.. oh my lol, i swear i wasn't going there with that last sentence hehehe) and we sponsor a bunch of them including the bear that is there so she even has pictures of him. she loves watching nature shows and has never ever seen a bear kill anything except whenthey showed one going fishing but she thought that was cool. she seemed ok this morning, hopefully the more i talk to her the more it will calm her. i let her initiate the conversation though, i won't mention it unless she does. out of sight out of mind kinda.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts