Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 week old Chihuahua male. I brought him home 2 weeks ago and put him in a small area I made out of baby gates. He is doing well with potty training, but still has accidents. Would a crate work better than my baby gate method? If so, is it too late now that I have had him for 2 weeks? He is a very mellow guy. I was also thinking the crate would be a "safe place" away from my kids. When should I expect him to be 100% potty trained? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I agree, I don't think it's ever too late to do much of any training. Lilo was never made to sleep in a crate at my aunts house, but she got one for her to stop her from pottying in the house at night and she has don't beautifully with it :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I agree with everyone else ... but don't put him in there for too long without access to potty pads or outdoors during the day. He can only hold his bladder for about 3 hours max at his age.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
it's not to late to crate train at all!! Just make sure you get the right size crate, if you get one to big they might have accidents in one corner, sleep in another, and become a problem. For my black lab jamie, knowing he would get bigger we got him a large breed crate, since we didnt want him having accidents, we put a pillow on the back half, so he did not have access to that half. the pillow also doubled as a bed for him and it worked out great! for scoot We got this "puppy" crate from petsmart that is the perfect for him, we put his little bed and some toys in there and he is fine, sometimes if we will only be gone a short while we put some food in there too. As far as house breaking, it varies, here is something we learned in Puppy Kindergarten: just take him outside frequently and pick a word such as "do your buisness" and when he gets in the position to go give him a treat, he might get up and walk around without going but keep giving treats when he squats, and eventually he will go. Don't give him treats when you come inside be cause 1. you are rewarding them for coming inside not going to t he bathroom, 2. they only have a 3 second memmory.

hope i helped you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help. I am proud to say that Bailey had an "Accident Free" night last night. I am sooooo proud of him. He is doing great. I cant wait until he is completly potty trained so he can start sleeping with us in the bed. Thanks again. I really appreciate you taking the time to help us.
Rachel

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Congratulations Bailey! :D

Just to echo everyone else ... it is not too late to crate train, however he seems to be doing really good just baby-gated. I say if you just gave him more time in his current set-up, you'll be surprised how well he does!

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts