Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing? I took my Sonny to the Super Pet Expo yesterday with BG. It was his first large pet event and he is 7 months old. We met my friend and their breeder there and he has not seen Sonny since he was 2 ½ months old. Well BG went in like normal very hesitant and jumped in my bag to carry her. She got brave over time and was out walking around. Sonny on the other hand went in with his I’m here attitude come play with me.
We first stopped at the indoor dog play area for small dogs. BG was still nervous so she stayed with me and Sonny didn’t know what to do as there was not any Basset Hounds so he would jump on me then go to the humans to pet him and even jumped in one little girl’s lap. LOL. Note to self: I need to get them around more small dogs and find a small dog play park.

So my friend arrived and then we started walking through all the vendors. Well my friend brought his two chis and the four got a long great but they were raised together as pups. BG finally got brave and was walking. Sonny would walk then come jump on my leg every 5 minutes and if I bent down he was in my lap and also non-stop kept looking at me.

After 2 hours we went back to the dog play area. BG walked around but would not interact with the others. Sonny on the other hand was exhausted and started growling when a dog came near him (near just him or near me and him which he did not do the first time so I assume he was exhausted). I corrected him and took them home. They were asleep before we got out of the parking lot LOL. Well my friend made the comment he has never seen a chi so attached to him mom. I started thinking and Sonny does the exact same thing at home. He will even push BG out of the way to get to me which of course I tell him no and pick up the princess.

I only have one major momma’s boy in my house and that is my cat Huly but I bottle fed him and Huly has always been a sickly thing so him and I are very bonded but Huly is also independent and can do anything without me too. I have always raised my dogs to be independent and to be able to handle any and all situations. So now I am asking myself is he too much of a mommy’s boy? Is he not confident? He has always been a major snuggle bug but am I coddling him too much? :confused:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I don't think he's being a mama's boy. Was this the pet show at Arlington in IL? If it was, that place is PACKED!!! Just think of the legs that poor little dog had to have seen! Just continue to take him to events. Sue

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it was in Dulles VA but he is always like that even at home. He is my fearless chi as BG is more reserved but he is always looking for me to say its ok too and by my side even at our house.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm not sure, because Bandit is the same way, except he will not go to other humans if I am in the room. I have been going to puppy classes, and we were trying to get Bandit to go to the instructor when it was just the 3 of us there. The only way that worked was for me to go out of the room and make sure he couldn't see me.

At home, I have 3 cats and he is starting to go off exploring on his own. But the second one of the cats tries for my attention he is up trying to get the cat to go away, or to at least get attention himself.

Bandit is my first puppy as an adult and I am hoping that if I continue taking him places he will get over this as he gets older. He is not yet 7 months.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Clingyness is a Chi trait so I don't think you can avoid having a momma's boy.

It sounds like a big scary event so im not surprised that he was seeking comfort from you.

It's so funny that you said he pushes your other dog out of the way to get closer to you - Axle will sit right on top of Chloe if she is on my knee, I also tell him off and cuddle my princess coz I feel bad that he is so mean to her.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah BG is a daddy's girl and will chase Sonny away to be with her daddy and so forth. It is fun watching them but I just want to make sure I raise a pup that can be independent and strong too. It is really easy to spoil him rotten as he is too darn cute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts