Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found out that it is the tick nmeds in the frontline that he is alergic to... They said alot of small dogs can't handle it... SO I got advantage for him... The problem he is having every morning the side of his neck is swollen and he can hardly move his neck... the doc said it was because he lays on that side and during the night the frontline that is still in his system is pooling in his oil glands. and that is why he is having problems. SO I have to get him baby asprin and give him a 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for a week... they are hoping between the benedryl and the baby asprin he will get it out of his system and of course more time.. I also have to give him another bath this weekend with the dawn.... that will pull more of it out of the glands.

poor lil fella... I hate that he is dealing with this again... at least we have found out what the problem is and it will never happen again...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Wow! That Frontline must be some powerful stuff. :shock: We used it on our Labrador, Molly, when she was about 5 months old. It caused a large sore on her back that had to be drained and then treated for a while with some antibiotic/cortisone spray. After that, we switched to Advantage for Molly and that is what we use on Tucker, also. I'm sorry you and Gadget are having to go through this, but as you said, it won't happen again!!!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both...

I am so glad I finally found out what it was...

They did recommend him getting a lime shot so that if he was ever to get a tick he would be protected... I am thinkning very strongly but I want to research it and make sure he won't have a reactioon to it first...

I'm sorry that Molly had that happen that had to be awful....

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
At least you guys know what it is now, that has to be relieving. I hope he gets rid of that crap out of his system soon! :evil:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Poor Gadget. I'm so glad they discovered what it was, and now the Frontline can get out of his system and he'll feel better again. That is scary. :shock:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Poor Gadget! I hope he gets feeling better soon.

I feel like a bad mom because I've never put any of the flea stuff on Cooper. I saw an article about the meds and allergic reactions and don't want to risk it, although since he's outdoors a lot, he should be on something. Maybe I could put one of those no-pest strips around his neck. :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
poor little guy,
but at least now you know whats wrong and it won't happen anymore. I didn't know dogs could be allergic to that, i better watch out!!!
i hope gadget is feeling better,
Roie

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everybody..

We got him baby asprin and I gave him a dose about noon time and after just a few minutes the swelling was way done and he was bouncing off the walls again...

I will be giving him the baby asprin @ noon and midnight and the benedryl @ 8am and 8 pm.. Did want to give them togher at the same time.. Don't want any more problems...

We was really grumpy last night and we had to give him a time out.. man that really sucked because it was his first ever time out... but he got happier and then I gave him his meds and he got sleepy so he slept for awhile...

infact he slept all night until 8:30 this morning... he has never done that before...

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i think out of every hundred dogs at the animal hospital maybe 2 of them had some type of reaction to the frontline. i myself like revolution better cause of the heartworm protection and other intestinal parasite protection it offers. i never seen any reactions to revolution, advantage or the heartworm pills, not saying that a reaction can't happen though.....

i hope gadget gets to feeling better real real soon...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks MAndi,

I have interceptor for the heartworm.. That is working great for him so I don't want to change that... I have got to get this flea stuff all straightened out.. it is driving me nuts...

but at least I know we are on the right track....

the other thing they said at the vets the other day is to put it lower down the back so that it isn't close tot he same spot on the neck... it will help make sure that we are not dounbling it up if incase it takes longer for his system to get ridd of it....

man I can't type worth beens today...

hehehehehe

oh well, it is sunday... Think I will get up and start vcleaning...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts