Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Niko to the vet a couple days ago and it turns out he does have cherry eye, but the procedure is very simple. They gave me some eye drops to put in his eye twice a day until surgery to help calm the redness and swelling. My vet said I can have Niko neutered on the same day I do his eye surgery. Has anybody else had their babies neutered at 4 1/2 months..almost 5?? People seem to have mixed opinions about early neutering..just wanted to hear your thoughts!! Thanks!!
OH! I am going to post pics of Niko on the picture forum..he has gotten sooooo big!!! :happy7:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
first off i just wanna say.... can't wait to see pics! and second, we have nuetered dogs that young in our hospital. it always amazes me how different vet's and vet hospitals have the same types of problems they deal with yet they all treat them differently. one says wait til they are at least 5 1/2-6 months and another says it can be done at 4-5 months as long as both testicles dropped (then if one is still up they like to wait a little longer in case it does come down on it's own...) so if your vet feels comfortable doing it then go for it. save your baby the trouble of having to have another operations a few motnhs from now. that's my opinion.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I am so glad the cheery eye will betaken care of and its not that big of a concern....I think 4.5 - 5 mos is early but just like puppet said it depends....I personally would like to see them at 6-7 mos for development purposes....

Best of luck :wave:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am no expert, but I think the biggest risk in any surgery is the anesthesia. With that in mind I would go ahead and do both at the same time to save him from another round of anesthesia.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is exactly what I was thinking...save him the trauma of two surgeries. I still feel awful, I am sure having surgery to the eye, no matter how minor, will not feel that great. Also, I was talking to a girl at work and she said that chihuahuas in particular gain weight after being fixed, has anybody else noticed this problem?? Oh, and she also mentinoed that right after they come home, that her puppies were snippy with her almost like they were mad at her...I hope that doesn't happen!!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
being nuetered or spayed doesn't cause the weight gain. we tell all the owners this, sometimes with owners you see they feel guilty about "getting them fixed" so they give extra treats, then the novelty of having a new dog wears off and the dog gets less and less excersise. i'm not saying that is all the cases that is jsut what we see a lot of.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's exactly what I did when my Chi needed chrry and eye repair and spaying. Niko is going to be feeling kinda raunchy that evening, but they bounce back quickly. The main thing is to try to keep your puppy from bouncing around too much too soon! But just be sure to keep the drops on the cherry eye to keep it moist and keep it from getting inflamed. Your puppy is going to be fine!

steph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts