Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who are familiar with my dogs know I fight a continuing battle to deal with Tango's dental issues. No matter what I do, he continues to build up plaque and tartar on his teeth at an alarming rate, resulting in yearly dentals. I would SO much prefer he not have to be subjected to anesthesia so frequently, especially as the older he gets the more risk is involved.

Anyway, I am always on the lookout for products that will help me in my quest to take care of his teeth. I wanted to share with you my latest find.....and yeah, knowing the way these things go, you've all already discovered this. ;) But just in case, figured I'd make a mention of it anyway. I already use the tiniest human toothbrush I can find for the dogs, but in the last couple weeks I found something even better! A battery operated toothbrush, for a child, with a circular, TINY head on it! I am stoked!!! It's smaller than the small toothbrush I've been using, which means it can fit more places, but it also cleans so much better and more efficiently because of the vibration of the head! I dip the brush in Petzlife gel and attack my dogs' teeth with it just like I've been doing with the other brush, but this is so much easier! And because it is I'm brushing longer too, and my dogs don't seem to mind the noise at all!

It looks ridiculous :D It looks just like a giant orange Crayola crayon lol! But between it, and the water additive, and smearing the Petzlife gel over the dogs' teeth daily, and giving them greenies, I'm hopeful that I might be able to extend the time between Tango's dentals to at least every other year!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I do think that brushing with the electic tooth brush ..and the petzlife, or similar will help. Rico uses the Oral-B with the tiny head....he is not fond of it...but not his choice....:D...

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I had no idea and I am looking for ways to clean Lulu's teeth especially now that she is on only canned food. I do understand though that kibble doesn't necessarily clean their teeth like I always thought. I was told though that since she is now on only canned food she needed something to chew on to keep her teeth strong, gums healthy, bloodflow coming to her teeth and gums, bones strong so that her teeth wouldn't fall out, and something to keep tartar off her teeth. She doesn't like bully sticks :( so I bought Merrick pig and beef ears and something called Texas taffy that looks like the lung of something, but she chewed pieces off of that so fast it scared me and I took it away. I didn't know about the Petzlife gel, but I read one of your previous threads and I bought the stuff you put in her water and the foam you spray on her teeth.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool Ronni! Would love to see a pic of the toothbrush if you can...I just looked at one made by crayola at the grocery today
:)
Sure, here you go!

Front:

Side:

Back: I took it out of the little suction holder it comes with.

It's a ridiculous looking thing lol! But the head is smaller than the toothbrush I'd been using before, and the fact that the handle is so fat makes it much easier to manipulate around the dogs' mouths.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awesome!! I have a thomas the tank engine one for Brody. ha ha. I also use the oral B ultrasonic on him as well. I do think it helps. Good luck, I hope this is the key to keeping Tango's teeth clean and out of the dental surgery! :)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You and me both, Tracy! I hate the idea that as he ages and it becomes more and more problematic, he's going to continue to have to be put under anesthesia :( I love that my Vet is soooo careful with him, entubates him just to be safe in case they need to do emergency treatment on him, does the anesthesia and the teeth cleaning herself instead of having a tech do it, plus one of the techs, Becky, has 6 chihuahuas, a couple as small as Tango and Jazz, and so she knows the risks on a personal level. It all helps, and I'm grateful, but still, I'd much rather not have to subject him to any of that.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You are so lucky to have such a good and caring vet!! What a blessing!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Thanks for the pics Ronni! That was the one I looked at yesterday at the grocery-- lol.
I put it back thinking "aw, they are just getting used to the plain one, why rock the boat"...
Next grocery trip I " will be rocking the boat"! Thanks for the recommendation :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts