Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend Emily and her sister Tess came over a couple of days ago. When Tess first saw Tilly she remarked that she had a HUGE head. I've never really thought of it before...I knew it was apple-y...but huge?

Then I started to look at her. She does have a humongous noggin. My Gosh! Please tell me that she'll grow into it. And if she does...when will it start? She's going to be six months old in a couple of weeks. Will she start filling out more then? Maybe it's not that her head is big but that her body is so skinny. I supplement her dry diet with wet food, but she burns it off so quickly. Her little spine juts out so prominently, but since feeding her a bit "extra," at least I can no longer feel see her ribs. Any tips on packing on the pounds? I seem to do it with little to no effort, but I can't seem to get my dog too. :)

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
She looks fine to me. My old Chi Benny used to have a big head, HUGE ears and a skinny neck but he grew into it and was very handsome.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Aw, she's so cute!! You seem concerned because her ribs were showing and her spine does, too. Perhaps you should look into Nupro, I've been reading on here about it though I haven't had a chance to try it on Dani. Since she is a growing puppy, are you sure she's getting enough to eat? Dani (5 months) gets canned in the morning and then kibble is left down all day and she continually nibbles.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Aww...she is a cutie. I think she will grow into it. Lily was the opposite. Tiny head and big body. She evened out though.Lol.

If she's under weight I would add some nutri-cal for puppies to her food. :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Careful Dexter.......bobble heads......really!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since she is a growing puppy, are you sure she's getting enough to eat? Dani (5 months) gets canned in the morning and then kibble is left down all day and she continually nibbles.
That's pretty much what she gets as well, except I add another canned bit in the evening for both weight gain, a good night's sleep, and to promote a bowel movement before going to bed. Dried kibble is always left out and she nibbles on it througout the day. She just loses weight so easily. If I skip a canned meal, you can literally see it on her the next day (or maybe it's just my nervousness).

I'll look into the Nupro. I knew some of the chi members were using it for healthy coats, but I didn't know it was a caloric additive as well.

·
Registered
700 Posts
chicco had a big head when we brought him home, he is 6 months and is now mostly grown into it, its cute either way though.

i didnt think Nupro was a caloric additive either, maybe she is thinking of nutro? i think thats the high calorie supplement that is talked about on her.
i give carrera and chicco nupro for their skin and coat, they have it regularly and havnt gained weight from that.
for weight gain we let chicco eat as much as he wanted, he was too skinny when we brought him home, now that he has gained wait we are adjusting his diet accordingly. they get cheese,boiled eggs, boiled chicken, yogurt and bananas very often, this has helped with his weight as well. once youve reached a good weight then adjust. the eggs would probably be a good starter 3-4 times a week. then go down to 2-3, right now mine are at about 2 a week, they also get wet food every other day.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
She doesn't look like she's got a bigger head than any other chi at that age. I wouldn't worry about that. But I think it's a good idea to look for ways to keep weight on her. I am assuming that you've had your vet check for puppy worms or other things that may make her loose weight that easily. Nutracal is a good product for adding in extra calories and it helps balance their sugar levels. I don't know if you have or plan to have her spayed, but that will put weight on her. Of course, you'll have to plan ahead and fatten her up before having her spayed, since they tend to loose their appetite for a few days. That could be tough on her.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am assuming that you've had your vet check for puppy worms or other things that may make her loose weight that easily. Nutracal is a good product for adding in extra calories and it helps balance their sugar levels. I don't know if you have or plan to have her spayed, but that will put weight on her. Of course, you'll have to plan ahead and fatten her up before having her spayed, since they tend to loose their appetite for a few days. That could be tough on her.
Not yet. Our appointment is tomorrow actually. It will be the first time she's been to the vet since her initial exam right after her eyes opened. The breeder's been giving them vaccinations up until now. The appointment is for the routine fecal exam, last set of boosters, and rabies shot.

I do plan on having her spayed, but I probably will hold off until she's a bit larger. I'll ask the vet his opinon on that. I absolutely adore my vet here. Boo and Poppet loved him as well. At least one good thing came about from my lay-off and move back home.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts