Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a dog is neutered I thought they actually took away the dogs err!! Balls..

However today I distinctively saw what looked like Jakes balls though they were not out but if he'd got excited they would have been. His sacks have gone so I was surprised to see these.

Help...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
When a dog is neutered I thought they actually took away the dogs err!! Balls..
yeah thats what i thought too!
well from what i can tell thats how it is on jet, he has nothing there, its just flat

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm !! His sacks have gone so it is all flat there but I definately saw and felt what seemed like testicles, he is back at the vets on Wednesday for a check up so I'll mention it to them.

Worried now that his operation didn't go as planned.. oh err!!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What you probably saw were the glans on the penis. Is it a bit further up than the testicles were? More at the base of the penis rather than hanging like the testicles? They get engorged when the dog is excited and such, normally they are easy to see then.

I think there was a post like this on this forum (may have been another) recently where someone took their dog to the vet for this. If he has no sack he has no testes - don't worry.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Phew thanks for that, there was me thinking I had a rig... I'd hate for him to have had to have another General and be operated on again, it was bad enough leaving him the first time...

Deme x

·
Registered
362 Posts
Don't feel silly! I had a coworker who had her great dane neutered (we all know that on a big dog, certain parts are a little more obvious than on a little one ;) ) but couldn't believe it when she picked him up and he looked mostly intact still. Ollie was similar. I think it takes some time for the swelling in the area to go down, and also for whatever stuff is left to kind of... shrivel.. lol. Also, the glands will still be there like Quinn said.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
yes, everyone is right. That are glands that swell up at the base of the penis on either side. They DO look like balls, don't they?! They are the organs that actually cause the "tie" when dogs are mated. They swell up and lock them together. They remain after neutering. They only take out the testicles and some swelling is normal afterward. Be assured, Jake was properly neutered and everything is normal. :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
What you probably saw were the glans on the penis. Is it a bit further up than the testicles were? More at the base of the penis rather than hanging like the testicles? They get engorged when the dog is excited and such, normally they are easy to see then.
I'm glad I've read this because I thought Charlie had 2 extra balls lol:noops:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Prior to being neutered when Jake got excited with Teddy I thought when Jakes Willy popped out fully that these two round things were his testicles. As he got excited they'd travel down until they popped out.

Am I wrong.

Today I saw the same shape develop under the skin as though they were gonna finally pop out like before.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Prior to being neutered when Jake got excited with Teddy I thought when Jakes Willy popped out fully that these two round things were his testicles. As he got excited they'd travel down until they popped out.

Am I wrong.

Today I saw the same shape develop under the skin as though they were gonna finally pop out like before.
Wow, so Jake's penis was entirely exposed, along with the two glands on either side? Yes, those were the glands. The testicles (if you would have had a close look -ha) were still behind in the scrotum.

As his hormones decrease now that his testicles are gone, you shouldn't be seeing him completely out and exposed like that. Or if so, only rarely. Brody has never done that before. If you do see it happen, make sure he gets himself all put back together or he could have problems with the penis drying out, etc. Usually not a problem, but sometimes a hair can get wrapped around it and it won't retract. that's more of a problem with long hairs. So just keep an eye on him if it happens. Although, I think those days are mostly over now. :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Before his op and if Teddy was out he'd happily fully expose himself at every opportunity.. Just one fo the reasons I wanted him neutered.

Ahh!! So those are the glands, doh,, but hey thats why I love this forum, I learn something new all the time

I also bought some chicken today from Tesco's and though it has skin on (which I'll take off) I don't know if there are any bones in it. Guess I'll find out when I defrost it.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Before his op and if Teddy was out he'd happily fully expose himself at every opportunity.. Just one fo the reasons I wanted him neutered.

Ahh!! So those are the glands, doh,, but hey thats why I love this forum, I learn something new all the time

I also bought some chicken today from Tesco's and though it has skin on (which I'll take off) I don't know if there are any bones in it. Guess I'll find out when I defrost it.
Yup Rocky was the same before neutering, the full penis and bally bit at the base used to come right out when he was having 'special' time with his monkey! Ewwwww, not anymore thank goodness.

Although I do notice that when Rocky wakens up from sleeping his penis and bit at the base is hard but not exposed, anyone noticed this before???

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Although I do notice that when Rocky wakens up from sleeping his penis and bit at the base is hard but not exposed, anyone noticed this before???
Yep normal! This is common with many male dogs. I liken it to male people ya know haha

And dogs who are neutered can still - come out - so to speak. Both Schroeder and my moms male chi do. Not all the way, glands out and everything, but a little.

And as Tracy said if your dog does fully come out monitor to make sure it goes back in, you may have to help, because they can get stuck and this can lead to problems. Or they can get stuff on them when out which is also not good.

I used to do doggy daycare and we had an 8 month old unneutered Viszla, one day he got over excited about his pittie girl friend and ended up fully out, and umm... spreading his love all over a bench :eek: . We had to pour water on him to get it back in. Wasn't fun, and was really uncomfortable for him he couldn't really walk until it started going back.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yep normal! This is common with many male dogs. I liken it to male people ya know haha

I used to do doggy daycare and we had an 8 month old unneutered Viszla, one day he got over excited about his pittie girl friend and ended up fully out, and umm... spreading his love all over a bench :eek: . We had to pour water on him to get it back in. Wasn't fun, and was really uncomfortable for him he couldn't really walk until it started going back.
OMG! BOYS!!! ha ha. Gotta love 'em.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts