Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend has a wonderful Chi named Cocoa...but Cocoa has a problem. He eats diapers :pukeright: It's so gross. She's tried to break him, showing him what he did, putting him in his kennel and telling him bad boy, things like that. Just all she can think of. But he keeps doing it. I don't know why :dontknow: ??

What can she do to break him?
Why does he do this?
Is this normal?

I mean, i know dogs eat poo....we don't like it, but we know it. But people poo??? That's just wrong in so many ways :confused3:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
why doesn't she gets the diapers out of the dog's reach ?? i think that will be easier than learning him it's a big no no ........ :wink: :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Ditto what those two said. LOL

If you think about what babies are eating, it makes perfect sense as to why a dog would want the diapers. They're high in protein, with the added bonus of dairy, etc. It is gross but what goes in, comes out and dogs just love it. :pottytrain4:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess that makes sense, as gross as it seems huh :roll: . The diaper container she has now has a swinging lid on the top....i'll suggest to her to get one that latches closed. She had a diaper genie but it broke. Thanks Ladies :wink:

·
Registered
151 Posts
*Tanya* said:
My best friend has a wonderful Chi named Cocoa...but Cocoa has a problem. He eats diapers :pukeright: It's so gross. She's tried to break him, showing him what he did, putting him in his kennel and telling him bad boy, things like that. Just all she can think of. But he keeps doing it. I don't know why :dontknow: ??

What can she do to break him?
Why does he do this?
Is this normal?

I mean, i know dogs eat poo....we don't like it, but we know it. But people poo??? That's just wrong in so many ways :confused3:
I guess they never thought to use a trash can or a diaper pail?

If the dog can't get to them he can't eat them.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yeah, it always amazes me that some people will try to train a dog not to do something that comes so naturally when the best solution (and the EASIEST) is just to take the problem out of the picture. In this case, make the diapers unavailable.

I have actually heard of dogs dying from ingesting diapers.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bijou said:
Yeah, it always amazes me that some people will try to train a dog not to do something that comes so naturally when the best solution (and the EASIEST) is just to take the problem out of the picture. In this case, make the diapers unavailable.

I have actually heard of dogs dying from ingesting diapers.
that gel stuff on the inside of the diaper is meant to expand when liquid hits it..guess what it does in the belly of a Chi? Yup..expands and can cause all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG :shock: . I never thought of that. That makes total sense. Luckily i talked to her last night and she got a pail that the lid latches closed. She had gotten the other trash can before she got Cocoa. She just thought she could teach him not to go into the trash can. Like if he got into the toilet paper in the bathroom, she'd teach him no no. Lillie gets ahold of my bras somehow...i put them in the hamper (tall hamper) and the little turd gets ahold of one somehow, i try to teach her no, i guess she just thought the same about the diapers. Doesn't mean she's incompetent, just never owned a chi or any small dog for that matter, before. :wink:

·
Registered
640 Posts
*Tanya* said:
Doesn't mean she's incompetent, just never owned a chi or any small dog for that matter, before. :wink:
You're right! Hope I didn't sound harsh. It's very hard to teach a dog not to do something that is so self-rewarding. If it gets an instant reward, for example getting into food is instantly rewarding and ALWAYS rewarding, then it is very difficult to teach out of them.

Now with the bra thing, I wonder if you could put something like Bitter Apple spray on them when you put them in the hamper? They would then taste bad and maybe just break the habit? Of course it's easier to just keep them out of reach but sometimes it's not possible to keep things out of reach all the time. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, i'm gonna have to look into that bra suggestion :lol: . She's gettin ahold of my undies too and i didn't buy crotchless, but slowly, that's what i'm gettin :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
A friend of mine has a lab and when he was about 3 months old they went out for a couple hours and came home and the dog had ate a brand new diaper out of one of those hanging diaper holders.. that dog pooped diaper for days... The vet said he was very lucky that it didn't kill him... come to find out the dog actually at about 5 diapers... my friends just didn't think about the pup getting into something that was hanging on the back of a door...

I laughed so hard when they were telling us the story because it did sound funny.... but the fact that the dog could have been killed by it wasn't funny... I am so glad they can laugh about it.. but now the diapers are kept in a closed closet....

I hope your friend can keep the diapers away from the dog.. for the dogs own health...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts