·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone
I've been asking for some dog food suggestions and
really appreciate the needed help I have gotten from
so many of you. ~*~*THANK YOU~*~*

I'm seriously thinking about going with Tast of The Wild...
but I'm Not sure if,,,
** is Ethoxyquin Free
**Pretty popular dog food, so easy to purchase about
anywhere, TSC stores/etc.. Pet stores...
I believe its from the makers of Blue Buffalo isn't it?
Anyone have any Faith in them?????????:confused:
Would anyone know till I can do my own further updated research
on it??? :confused::confused::confused: Thanks.....
Blessings.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
There have been many questions about whether or not TOTW is ethoxyquin free.

It is made/manufactured by the Diamond Corporation, which I don't trust at all as they have had many recalls.

That said, many people feed the food and find it great quality. I just personally only food foods from privately owned, privately manufactured, smaller companies. Why? Because they care more.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
but I'm Not sure if,,,
** is Ethoxyquin Free
On dog food analysis, it's mentioned that it is not ethoxyquin free. I personally wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is made/manufactured by the Diamond Corporation, which I don't trust at all as they have had many recalls.

That said, many people feed the food and find it great quality. I just personally only food foods from privately owned, privately manufactured, smaller companies. Why? Because they care more.[/QUOTE

OKAY,,, Thanks. I Don't trust Diamond either because of there
many recalls. I also, would rather use a private owned/smaller
company. I'm with ya on that... ((wink...))
I prob. will not fool with looking into it then, just skip it and
onto the next one.

~*~*~*THANKS~*~*~ ~*~*~HUGS~*~*~

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I have decided to try it with Leila, from orijen puppy. Reason being I think it looks like a good food and I can get it easier. Here is what i found on dogfoodadviser :
Regarding ethoxyquin, here’s a copy of a letter I received from Dr. Janet Rettenmaier (one of the staff veterinarians at Diamond) on July 17, 2010:

We are now using naturally preserved fish meal in all of our products. Even prior to the transition to natural mixed tocopherols (vitamin E), there were absolutely no health risks involved with feeding any of these foods. The switch to mixed tocopherols to preserve our fish meal was a response to customer demand. Fortunately, we were able to secure a supply of naturally preserved fish meal and shelf life studies have proven that we are able to maintain the product’s freshness throughout the shelf life of the product.

Homeland security does outline preservation using ethoxyquin, however alternative methods of preservation are available by special request. Our supplier has obtained all the required permits in order to use the natural preservative instead of ethoxyquin.

Janet L. Rettenmaier, DVM, MS
Director of Veterinary Services
Diamond Pet Foods

I am watching leila closely for any changes in her. So far I've seen none. She likes it, and her stools look fine so far.
But will be watching for any changes in her.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think TOTW is a good quality dog food exept that I don't trust most of these dogfood companies. TOTW had a recall on their dogfood a while back just like many others have had recalls. One recall on a dogfood kind of makes me shy away from that company, but that's just me. I now feed THK & Acana. I have to be really careful with my chi because she suffers from severe food & environment allergies. It's a must to read labels & not trust whats on the front of the package. Go with your instincts; they're usually right.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I know that their fish formula is now ethoxyquin free so that should not be a concern. Made by Diamond who does have a history of recalls, not a manufacturer that I trust. Considering ingredients alone, TOTW is a pretty good food that a lot of people use and love. Overall, it's a decent food for those on a budget but if you have the money to spare there are much better options for about the same price or slightly more.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
It's because that review is from 2007. The change was made in 2010.
Ah ok, I see. I still don't trust Diamond in general though. Glad they at least stopped using ethoxyquin.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Old El Paso taco seasoning uses ethoxyquin and I know tons of PEOPLE that eat that. I was shocked to find it in human food...anyway, random fact.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
WoW!!! ALOT of good info. here from you guys. Awesome!!! Thanks!!!
I welcome feedback weather post./or neg. thats how we learn. :)

After two days at this... I think I've decided at this point to go
with WELLNESS.
Which Wellness product I'm Not sure as of yet. Kinda leaning
toward WELLNESS CORE...

So,,,,,, with that being said,,,,, OKAY,, sorry, I have to ask. LOL...

*ANYONE USEING WELLNESS/OR THE WELLNESS CORE WITH THERE
CHI'S. ??? ARE THEY DOING DECENT ON IT????Thanks guys, you are a Bunch of LifeSavors... From the heart. :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Not sure if you know this or not but recently Wellness switched manufacturers and now the Wellness kibble lines are made by Diamond, ANI, and Menu Foods...all companies with very bad track records. I contacted the company about the manufacturer switch and they confirmed it.

I used to feed Wellness Core since it was the ONE kibble that my most sensitive chi did well on. Shortly after they switched manufacturers I bought a new bag of Core and it was totally different. The ingredients list was the same but the smell, texture, and consistency were very different. Not only that but some pieces of kibble had freaky looking things sticking out of them. I picked out the freaky pieces and fed the new food to my chi, against my better judgment, and sure enough she got diarrhea. This was after she'd been on Core for close to a year and had always done well on it. I returned the new bag of Wellness and decided never to use it again.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well for PETESAKES ALIVE!!!!!
Nope,, didn't know that either...
I just found out about the Innova getting changed yesterday
and now today Wellness.
Good Grief...:foxes15: :nmad2:

I found out that Wellness produced food in the same place that
Diamond produces there foods, and that Wellness was made in
like six diff. factories across the u.s
I DIDN'T like any of that info. but was going to try and go
with it. Forget that now!! Agree,,, Menu foods track record is crap...

Okay back to the drawing board again...
I'll get done with this eventually... :confused:I Guess... LOL...

On my List of 5* dog food perference I have left are the following,,,
*ACANA GRASSLANDS
*NATURE'S VARIETY

Anybody want to tell me what you feed your Chi.
and maybe I'll go with that... I've been at this two days now
and starting to get dispared...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P.S
Huskeyluv...
THANKS for the heads up... Appreciate it Alot!!! :)
and Thank you all.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Champion Pet Foods (Acana, Orijen) and Fromm Family Four Star Nutritionals, I believe, are the ONLY 2 privately owned/manufactured "kibbled" foods left out there.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Lol, you really are striking out with these kibbles!
Acana/ Orijen still get my vote. Love that they are a small company using regional ingredients. THEY are actually in control of the food they are producing, a huge, huge plus.
Something like Ziwipeak and/or THK are still good options too.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
You seriously can drive yourself stark raving crazy if you think TOO much about it. I agree and want to get a good food for my chi, but it comes to a point at least for me, where you gotta just pick something and tune out everything or you'll go nuts. I swear I've worried more about what she eats then what the rest of us including myself eats. lol
I liked orijen but wanted to lower her protein just to be safe. But anything else is either petsmart food or Totw. She has been eating totw for almost a week now and doing fine.
I absolutely refuse though to pay $15.00 for dogfood to be shipped!! And where i get the orijen is not close and I dont' want to keep going there, especially over the winter and bad roads.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
cherper...
I HEAR YA!!! I HEAR YA!!! We are NOt as well off finacially as we use to be, if we
were I'd still prob. be doing my own home diet.
And now with the economy the way it is and the way things are
going I feel I am on a time line, thats why I've got to stick with it
and try to find something soon. I'm about at my point, just pick
something good, go with it. LOL... Ohhh,,, I've been here before,
hate it... LOL...
TOTW is very easy/convient for me to get as well at present but
I just can't get over feeding my fur kid something from the Diamonds
Co; unless I have too. I hope your lil' one does WELL on it. :)

I've heard the honest kitchen is good, but wayy outt'a my price
range. I may just go with Acana. Hope its not over pricey.

I even have another dilema if you'ins can believe it,,,
I'm a MESS at present!!!! LOL... heeeee...
I've got a pretty good stock pile of Innova dog food saved up.
I purchased alot of it after June of this year, so I'm sure P&G
have done had there beaks in it....
I have NO reciepts to take it back to the store, so prob. stuck
with it. I guess I'll just mix a tiny in with good food I get and
slowly be gone with it. Ohhhhhhhhh Gracious.....

Okay,,, signing off. Will be back on later/tomorrow, let you'ins
know what I (RE) Picked. LOL...
Another night of reading dog food Labels/Ingredients in
my sleeeeeep. :foxes251: :apple:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You should still be able to return the food even without a receipt. You would just have to settle for store credit instead of a refund though. They have to take the food back since it is guaranteed.

If you're on a bit of a budget I would consider Acana or Fromm Four Star. Both are great foods that won't break the bank and aren't manufactured by less than desirable companies.

FWIW, I've used Nature's Variety Instinct grain free kibble with my dogs. They did pretty well on NV, I fed the Instinct turkey/duck formula and the Instinct rabbit formula. NV did have a recall on their raw medallions (not kibble) a few months ago so I don't know if that will affect your decision. I am pretty happy with NV, especially the turkey/duck formula. I wouldn't hesitate to feed it again in the future. My only complaint with NV kibble is that because it is spray coated with a (freeze dried? I can't remember) raw coating it does tend to start smelling awful if you don't go through the bag quickly enough. By the time I got about halfway through a bag of NV Instinct I started dreading having to open the bag due to the smell...and I kept it sealed in it's original bag AND the original bag inside an air tight dog food container so the smell wasn't because it was exposed.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
The Keen formula of the Honest Kitchen isn't bad as far as price goes. One 10lb box lasts my six Chi's about 3 weeks. I've never fed Keen but I know it costs about $51. While I don't feed grains (Keen only has organic oats as the single grain in this formula) I would personally feed this food before doing any grain free kibble. The processing is SO minimal & eons less processed than the best kibble out there. If you were to feed one Chi...based on my calculations it would only cost $51 every few months which is the same or cheaper than some of the better kibbles.

Honest Kitchen is the most expensive of this type of dehydrated raw food. There is also Addiction which is similar but less expensive. I really don't know a lot about this particular brand but I do know of some people who have fed this after feeding the Honest Kitchen & like it just as much (actually they like it better!). So you may also want to consider looking into this food as well....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts