Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the right section but I wasnt sure If i had enough posts to put it in breeding.

Ok,

Fiddle just passed the 5 month mark. Now, this means that if I am going to spay her, I need to do it soon.

But, I have been thinking quite alot about breeding (and yes, I have read alot of the threads in the breeding section). I wouldn't want to do it now, maybe when she is 1.5 or even 2. This gives me alot of time too look through her blood line and gives her time to grow a bit bigger.

I generally know what happens with male dogs, but not girls.

I want to know what will happen/change/be different if I do choose to not get her spayed?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
With an unspayed dog, you basically get to deal with heat cycles and bleeding. Also definitely increases her chances of mammory tumors as well as an array of other issues involving the reproductive tract.

I think the first thing I'd consider is regarding her bloodline; IMO if she's going to be bred she should be a pointed champion in which case showing her would be where you'd start. Make sure she's up to the correct standard before bringing any more pups into the world... it's a lot more than just the pedigree, even some amazing champion pedigree dogs have pups that don't meet the standard- that's why it's so important that she HERSELF be shown to make sure she has what it takes to truly IMPROVE the breed. Also, with proper breeding a lot of money goes into health testing as well so make sure that you're financially prepared for the commitment.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
When she comes into heat/season her vulva/nipples will swell, she will start to bleed and will bleed for 3 weeks during this time you will have to watch her like a hawk to make sure no males get to her, I've seen dogs get bred through crates/fences you name it they'll find a way. If and when you do breed her Chihuahuas are one of the most common breeds to have complications such as needing a C-Section (here it costs $1000.00) Zoeys breeder lost the entire litter before Zoey was born due to problems, and actually lost one of her other moms during a c-section so had to hand raise the pups (getting up all through the night every 2 hours for weeks). So do consider those possibilities if you chose to breed....that being said, I have whelped & raised 10 litters of puppies (5 westies & 5 standard poodles) and it is VERY rewarding, had 3 c-sections on my girls, and I was able to be there through the entire process, out of those litters we lost 3 puppies, and each one broke my heart and tore it in two (the average loss is about 30% of all puppies born do not make it to 8 weeks). The standard poodles the oldest litter (Monet if you've followed that one) will be 11 years old in december, my youngest Westies are 6 years old now and I keep in contact with most of the puppy owners, even groom several of them regularly. I also went through a cancer scare with one of the standard poodles, Billy with the owner. It is A TON of work raising puppies and making sure they are healthy, socialized and cared for.

Another thing you should consider is if you breed her you will want to find a male who compliments her, that means his strengths are his weaknesses, my female westie had a longer back and a softer coat, my male was very short backed and had the 'perfect' westie coat so that balanced their puppies out quite well.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With an unspayed dog, you basically get to deal with heat cycles and bleeding. Also definitely increases her chances of mammory tumors as well as an array of other issues involving the reproductive tract.

I think the first thing I'd consider is regarding her bloodline; IMO if she's going to be bred she should be a pointed champion in which case showing her would be where you'd start. Make sure she's up to the correct standard before bringing any more pups into the world... it's a lot more than just the pedigree, even some amazing champion pedigree dogs have pups that don't meet the standard- that's why it's so important that she HERSELF be shown to make sure she has what it takes to truly IMPROVE the breed. Also, with proper breeding a lot of money goes into health testing as well so make sure that you're financially prepared for the commitment.
Thanks for your imput.

Fiddle is actually not registered as only her mother had pedigree papers. However I did inspect both parents and both met the standard in my opinion.

So, I am unable to show her. Are there ways to get her assed outside of a show? (Im in Australia btw so im not sure if you could help?)

Thank you

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When she comes into heat/season her vulva/nipples will swell, she will start to bleed and will bleed for 3 weeks during this time you will have to watch her like a hawk to make sure no males get to her, I've seen dogs get bred through crates/fences you name it they'll find a way. If and when you do breed her Chihuahuas are one of the most common breeds to have complications such as needing a C-Section (here it costs $1000.00) Zoeys breeder lost the entire litter before Zoey was born due to problems, and actually lost one of her other moms during a c-section so had to hand raise the pups (getting up all through the night every 2 hours for weeks). So do consider those possibilities if you chose to breed....that being said, I have whelped & raised 10 litters of puppies (5 westies & 5 standard poodles) and it is VERY rewarding, had 3 c-sections on my girls, and I was able to be there through the entire process, out of those litters we lost 3 puppies, and each one broke my heart and tore it in two (the average loss is about 30% of all puppies born do not make it to 8 weeks). The standard poodles the oldest litter (Monet if you've followed that one) will be 11 years old in december, my youngest Westies are 6 years old now and I keep in contact with most of the puppy owners, even groom several of them regularly. I also went through a cancer scare with one of the standard poodles, Billy with the owner. It is A TON of work raising puppies and making sure they are healthy, socialized and cared for.

Another thing you should consider is if you breed her you will want to find a male who compliments her, that means his strengths are his weaknesses, my female westie had a longer back and a softer coat, my male was very short backed and had the 'perfect' westie coat so that balanced their puppies out quite well.
Thanks for the info and insight on your experiences.

Through fences! MY GOD!

Fiddle Is pretty much in my sights at all times, ther only male dogs she see's occasionally are desexed luckily.

Do dogs get sort of tempremental when they're in heat?

and is it alot of bleeding?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Thanks for the info and insight on your experiences.

Through fences! MY GOD!

Fiddle Is pretty much in my sights at all times, ther only male dogs she see's occasionally are desexed luckily.

Do dogs get sort of tempremental when they're in heat?

and is it alot of bleeding?

Thanks
Yes they can get very temperamental during their heat cycles. As well as letting them go through heat cycles increases their chances of getting Breast Cancer later on in life (something my female Cassie when through) and it ultimately led to her death as it had metastisized (spread) to other parts of her body. So looking back unless I have a stellar, outstanding female, I'm not so sure I want to take the risk of breeding. Yes it can be quite a lot of bleeding, my golden went through 1 heat cycle to try to correct an inverted vulva, and she soaked the pads in her diaper pretty quickly. It was NASTY! I had to cut her tail hair as it got so yucky.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If she isn't fully registered, you probably shouldn't breed her. Unfortunately there are a lot of dogs in shelters that came from breedings of dogs that "looked purebred" only for the owners to later be shocked how the puppy turns up. Even if both parents "look" like chihuahuas, you have no idea what's in the lines. You have to carefully compare both sides to ensure there are complimentary characteristics...this is a lot of research even when you HAVE a pedigree :) I strongly recommend getting your little one spayed. If you want to breed, buy an appropriate dog for show/breeding and go from there :) Its a process not an overnight thing.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If she isn't fully registered, you probably shouldn't breed her. Unfortunately there are a lot of dogs in shelters that came from breedings of dogs that "looked purebred" only for the owners to later be shocked how the puppy turns up. Even if both parents "look" like chihuahuas, you have no idea what's in the lines. You have to carefully compare both sides to ensure there are complimentary characteristics...this is a lot of research even when you HAVE a pedigree :) I strongly recommend getting your little one spayed. If you want to breed, buy an appropriate dog for show/breeding and go from there :) Its a process not an overnight thing.
Thanks for your imput. Its been a hot topic between my partner and I and I will certianly let him know al the information here.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Wholeheartedly agreed. Plus it's an excuse for you to get another dog, c'mon who doesn't want that!! =D

I guess its just that evaluating isn't as easy as looking at them, from what I understand judges spend a lot of time researching standards (not to mention see a LOT of dogs) to have an accurate opinion of what meets standards and what doesn't. It's a lot more than just a dog who 'looks purebred.'

Take Kahlua for instant; she's frickin gorgeous (I could be bias); I love every contour, especially the shape of her face which IMO makes her look just like a puppy even though she's over a year. I find every detail of her perfect. BUT... is she to the standard??? Not at all! Do I care? Nope.. I wouldn't have her any other way lol.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I agree with flippedstars

The other thing is you aren't aware of her lines whether health testing was done if there are any lp in them, is it a free whelping line etc it's a lot to take on and think about. If she isn't registered there's no way of knowing that she is 100% chihuahua

If you want to breed you could get another girl who is registered from a reputable breeder who shows their own dogs! Ideally people want the dogs to be shown but not all dogs personalities are suitable for the ring! So I personally don't think showing is a huge deal if your dog can be assessed by a chi judge who could tell you whether they are good breeding stock.. But it's hard to get a bitch who is breed worthy as normally breeders will keep the birches to further their lines. The ultimate goal of breeding is o better the breed.

Either way it's your choice whatever you decide I'm sure you will be fully researched

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wholeheartedly agreed. Plus it's an excuse for you to get another dog, c'mon who doesn't want that!! =D

I guess its just that evaluating isn't as easy as looking at them, from what I understand judges spend a lot of time researching standards (not to mention see a LOT of dogs) to have an accurate opinion of what meets standards and what doesn't. It's a lot more than just a dog who 'looks purebred.'

Take Kahlua for instant; she's frickin gorgeous (I could be bias); I love every contour, especially the shape of her face which IMO makes her look just like a puppy even though she's over a year. I find every detail of her perfect. BUT... is she to the standard??? Not at all! Do I care? Nope.. I wouldn't have her any other way lol.
I agree with flippedstars

The other thing is you aren't aware of her lines whether health testing was done if there are any lp in them, is it a free whelping line etc it's a lot to take on and think about. If she isn't registered there's no way of knowing that she is 100% chihuahua

If you want to breed you could get another girl who is registered from a reputable breeder who shows their own dogs! Ideally people want the dogs to be shown but not all dogs personalities are suitable for the ring! So I personally don't think showing is a huge deal if your dog can be assessed by a chi judge who could tell you whether they are good breeding stock.. But it's hard to get a bitch who is breed worthy as normally breeders will keep the birches to further their lines. The ultimate goal of breeding is o better the breed.

Either way it's your choice whatever you decide I'm sure you will be fully researched
Thanks Guy for all your opinions. At this stage Im thinking it will be very difficult to find a stud smaller then Fiddle so I should probly get her spayed.

Breeding is definately something I am interested in, but for now, probly not with Fiddle

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hey like I said, why not use it as an excuse to get another chihuahua. ;)

If we weren't renting now (used to own my home and could do whatever I wanted =P) I'd probably have a nice beautiful AKC show girl chi.

But then, since I'd want to make sure I truly knew the stud, I'd prolly have to go out and get myself a nice AKC male too, and show him...

But THEN, I'd prolly get too attached to all the puppies and not give them away... and well....

It's prolly a good idea the landlord just allows 3 chi's. =D

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
If you really want to breed research and then come back and 'we' can help you find a suitable bitch it will be a long hard search tho!! It is hard finding a good bitch with no restrictions on her pedigree

1 - 13 of 13 Posts