Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allo everyone,

Sera has a stuffed frog that squeeks, a weird colourful ball that she can naw on, and a little dog attacted to some rope for her to chew on... I was just wondering, i know she can't have big dog treats like those bones... Do you guys recommend any type of toy for a 6 week old? I've seen those plastic bones, think she'd like those? Or any type of play toy maybe chi's seem to enjoy. I got her a greenie, she licks it but of course cant chomp down on it, i only let her try once.. as im too scared it wil hurt her little tummy. Theres also Dog treats, i got her some chewy soft ones so i can break a tiny peice of and give it to her when she goes potty in the right places. Do you guys think that would hurt her?

~Thnx

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I dont reccomend any type of rawhide bone because they can choke on the pieces they bite off. It happened to my dog. I was at a friends house and Ginger found a rawhide bone that belonged to my friends pomeranian. All of the sudden I hear her gasping. I ran to her and she was trying to cough up a piece of the bone. She coughed it up pretty good and I was able to get it out of her mouth. I never liked them before but after that I was dead set against them.

I find that my dogs just LOVE the chew ropes, like Budah ropes. I also find that my dogs love balls and stuffed animals. The greenies will be great for her. You can also buy these bones that you can wet down and put in the freezer. When they are frozen you can take them out and your pup now has a teething toy. I love them!

Do me this one favor please!! When you go to pick up your dog look in her mouth. Check to see if all of her teeth have grown in. PLEASE PLEASE do this! That way you can decide what type of food she needs, wet or dry. If her teeth are not all the way in I would not feed her anything else but wet food until 8 weeks, then start mixing in dry with the wet. I had to do this with Ginger.

Gosh I forgot...do you have her yet?? I havent been able to come on as often and might have missed a post about it.

Best of luck!!!!
-Jessica

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do have her, and no, i didnt mean rawhide , im totallty against that stuff, i meant just the plastic/rubber bones ive seen in stores. I just looked at her teeth, and it seems to be they have a little bit more growing to ddo.. and yes im feeding her soft food, and will wein her off to the kibble once she can handle the hard stuff:)

Thankies for the ideas

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I like those really soft rubber squeeky toys. Puppies seem to like the noise it makes and some of them are very easy to squeek. Those are the type Bosco liked/likes. Of course one of Bosco's favorite toys is the cap off of a water bottle too so maybe he isn't picky when it comes to toys! :roll: LOL

·
Registered
450 Posts
Wendy,

My dogs are pretty picky, they will have nothing to do with those rubber squeaky toys, just the plush animal kinds, but every dog is different. The Nylabones are great, the see through kind, I think they call them "flexible" are good for Chi's, the harder ones that won't bend aren't because they are too tough. Greenies are good, Chiquita will eat one of the petite size ones in 3 minutes flat!!! Jose is a little slower, but they are good for Sera to learn to chew and will help bring her teeth in. You will need good things for her to chew on once she gets a bit older, as she will be looking for ANYthing to chew on... socks, shoes, toilet paper, doors, blankets, whatever. She might not have too much of an interest in the bones right now, but hang in there, she's still a wee wittle baby :)

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
my dogs hate the nylabones and plastic toys and prefer soft toys their favourite is a beanie chihuahua that I got from new york they carry it everywhere in their mouth - they also love the soft furry sqeaky bone things :wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts