Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this is going to be my puppy posting thread instead of having a new thread for each different set of pups I post.
PLEASE feel free to offer even harsh advice on the pups. Some of them I might post as not pups I would consider but just to see if as I go along I can point out "failings" of them as a breeder kinda thing, to see if I can't train my eye.
However the following pics are from a breeder and I sooooo love the pups. Anyway, here the info and pics for what we'll call SET 1 (lol)

Ok, first pic we have mom and babies, moms pre pg weight is 4.5 pounds. pups are 2 1/2 weeks old

Next is dad who is 3 pounds and from champion bloodlines, CKC registered and father's papers including his pedigree which shows his grandfather was the 2006 Canadian Kennel Club national (all of Canada) champion are available for me to see. She gave me his name to look up which I will do later

Next is 4 of the pups

Next is two full grown pups from the same parents

Please tell me good things about these guys! lol :p

·
Registered
898 Posts
The pups that you said are grown, how old are they? they don't look full grown to me, the first ones legs aren't done growing yet I don't believe. I think it was yoshi'smom that pointed out that bone in the leg before that when it's not noticable anymore they are pretty much done growing.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
NOW YOU'RE TALKIN'. :)

Ok Tracilea - you are a good student! These are MUCH MUCH better quality than what you had up for us before. I love the dad! Very pretty head and expression. Would love to see other pictures of the parents, but you are definitely on the right track.

Here's my impressions.... (for what it's worth! ha) Will be fun to hear everyone else's opinions as well.

Pic 1 - Mom, hard to tell from the picture but she looks OK. Not great, her head could be better. But kind of hard to tell from the little pic. Sheesh, that's a LARGE litter!! Not sure I exactly buy her pre pregnancy weight at 4.5. Especially carrying such a monster litter. I would put her closer to 6, but I could be wrong.

Pic 2 - I like the dad. Nice short muzzle, pretty expression. Nice ear placement. Front looks OK, I like his depth of chest. (Not thin through the chest). He's not stacked so he's kind of toeing out a little, but not terrible. Can't tell what his topline looks like. Rear looks OK, but again, hard to tell from the angle of the pic. He's up on his feet and not down in the pasterns so that's good. Nicely put together. Nothing stands out as "bad" about him. Very cute!

Pic 3 - Very nice little baby. Nice rounded head, short muzzle.

Pic 4 - This puppy doesn't have as nice a head when compared to the others, from the picture. Longer muzzle, thinner head.

Pic 5 - Pure cuteness! Obviously can't tell anything, but sure is darling. :)

Pic 6 - I LOVE this babies head! This would be my pick, just from the photos. Puppy looks very small and compact, nice big apple head.

Pic 7 - This is not an adult. See the growth plates on the front legs? Cute puppy though. Looks a tad bit long in the body. May grow into herself as she ages. Nice ears. Cute face. One thing to note... when you can see the whole bottom lip, like you can in this photo - check that the bite isn't undershot. That's pretty common. Not a huge deal, but you really don't want overshot or undershot bites.

Pic 8 - another "cutesie" shot. Can't tell much from the angle, but the features are very small and petite on this puppy. She looks like she is quite tiny.

I'm jumping for joy here Tracilea. You are definitely on the right track. :)

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Some of them I might post as not pups I would consider but just to see if as I go along I can point out "failings" of them as a breeder kinda thing, to see if I can't train my eye....
I get what you are trying to do. I recommend you start at the other end of the
spectrum, by looking at the very best of dogs. Train your eye to seek their qualities.
Read up on the breed standard and practice seeking those qualities in the Chi's you see.
Make it fun. Be curious, as curious as possible, about all things Chihuahua. Go
to shows. Well, that's where I would start "training my eye" for quality dogs. :)

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=48645&highlight=Westminster

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
These looks like an entirely different breed of dogs than the last lot...lol.

That father is very nice....many breeders use a larger 5 poundish size mother..that is probably why she looks long. She carried a litter of 6 after all.

The older pups in the picture.....just a question..how often is this pair bred ?? I am presuming that this set of pic-s is just an example of what the pups look like from past litters.

Be careful about a breeder who breeds a pair too frequently, you want o make sure they are taking care of the dam too.

I love those sable babies..especially the last two..way sweet.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am blinded!! lol I have fallen VERY hard for these pups. Tracy....the last pup is the one I want! lol Either him or the yawning one. I have my pick as both are availible (they are boys though! lol), I think the first 2 are female and the last 2 are male .
This is an actual breeder, not an internet ad BYB. I went right for the gusto lol I love the dad. She sent me some more pics of mom and dad which I am posting. I may go have a looksie at these pups tomorrow or sunday as well as take a look at her photo album of her previous litters, pup and current shots as she keeps in touch. Her parents (not that she lives with then now lol) breed chihuahua's as well and her grandparents used to brred and show. The dad (pup dad) who's name is peanut lol is son to her parents male who was 2006 Canadian Kennel Club national champion

ok, mom pre pg

and another of dad :) (who is doing a Brody pose lol)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol I know, I can't stop looking either!! lol Hubby is wanting a turn on the comp and telling me to get off! lol But I keep saying one more minute I can't stop looking! lol
I would guess mom looks smaller in the other pic cuz its pre pg. In the nursing pic she just had pups 2 1/2 weeks ago lol Surely she is still sporting some puppy weight ;-) lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Tracilea - I am so proud of you for doing your research and not just jumping at the first puppy you saw. See what you found?! I really like the mom in the new photo and of course the dad is adorable. He is really handsome!!

I think you will just DIE when you see them in person and you actually see IN PERSON the difference between randomly bred dogs and ones bred to the standard. I am soooooooooo excited for you.

So are you open to a boy?

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
Next is two full grown pups from the same parents

Please tell me good things about these guys! lol :p
Is there something going on with this one's tail? I see something like a sore and
missing hair... Could be happy tail or some other injury... She does have a lovely expression.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Mom is not Standard in size or looks. Possibly bordering 6 lbs. pre-pregnancy.

Dad is nice. Looks a bit leggy and thin. The angle of the pic is lower than his level so him looking leggy can be from that. Chest is a bit concaved. The chest should come forward. Could be 3 lbs., I’m gonna say more like 4/4.5 lbs. He has a nice head, nice ear placement, nice muzzle, and I can’t really comment on body conformation because of the way he’s standing.

Pup #1 is going to look like his Dad. Can’t tell anything much more than that at this young of an age. He does have a nice head.

Pup #2 has a wide muzzle. Beautiful coloring. Again, to young to tell much other than that.

Pup #3 is a beauty. Looks a lot like #1. I think will favor his Dad, outside of color. However, a lot of that black can fade out.

Pup #4 I think will favor Mom. Head is a bit rounded.

Young pup #5. Not done growing. Nice head. Body out of proportion. Rounded ear tips.

Pup #6. Can’t tell anything. Just a cute dainty face. :lol:

Again, Therese has given you great advice. :)

Oh, how old are the pups? I’m gonna guess 3 weeks? I would wait awhile to decide. You will want to see how they mature a bit.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
T I love that dog you just posted. Really good example!

Okay so for this litter you posted I agree with everyone MUCH MUCH better. What cute pups too! Tracilea I have to say I'm SO happy that you are soaking in all this info. I know I talked a lot on your previous threads (as its obviously an issue I feel strongly on) and I am SO glad you are taking advice. So many people don't and that fact that you have makes me jump for joy. Good for you!! You are really making an effort. If you keep up all this learning and network with a lot of breeders I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 or so years you breed a gorgeous litter (with a mentors help ;) )

Dad is nice. I like his head. Overall he's not AS "thick" as I believe is ideal but he's still a nice dog. I don't really like mom that much. She doesn't look too large to me necessarily, but I just don't like her head much. She's cute just not very type-y IMO.
Interesting to me that they chose to breed this pair. Probably trying to improve the mothers lines heads in this breeding. You should ask them WHY they paired these particular dogs. Its always a good question to ask. They should be able to tell you what they were looking to improve on etc.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Isn't she pretty! :) Fine example of the breed.

Tracilea, when choosing head shape, you want a more flat wide shape with a 90 degree stop. Hence the term "apple head." The more rounded head will be more lemon shaped, and it also usually gives ill ear placement. Just some pointers. :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Littlehead, the pic of the mom by herself is a pre pg pic so its possible in that pic she wasn't completely done growing.
Tracy, yes, I am open to a male as its that last little pup thats pulling on my heart strings the most.
T, these pups are 2 1/2 weeks :) So you are close heeheh
I don't like moms head as much, but I don't totally hate it either, I almsot think Willys head is more that shape, the deer type head I think.
Jerry;smom, I didn't notice the tail before. Not sure whats up with that. That pup is from a previous litter from the same parents.
I am going to go see the pups tomorrow. These pups look so different from the other ones I was seeing, its quite a difference. I can't wait to see them in person :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts