Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only saw a bit on the news wondered if anyone else had seen, it seems another attack by dogs have taken a life of a young baby, here is the link if you wish to read...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7876508.stm

Personally, I dont believe dogs attack for no reason, although Iv not experienced a dog attack ever, but thats just my opinion..

Theres not much info on that link to say if its the dogs or not? but the dogs have been taken away to be put to sleep anyway. These kind of stories make me so mad because they get blown totally out of proportion, next all jack russels will be killers..

Its a horrid story though, and I feel for the family who must be in such pain.

xx

I

·
0 Posts
I heard it this evening too, it is such a tragedy.

I dont see how a 3 and half month old could have provoked these dogs though? Seems at this point, no clear reason they attacked.

I feel for the poor parents, cant imagine what they must be going through.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
About 20 years ago, my ex-father-in-law had gone to the grocery store and was heading inside when he heard a baby crying. Not normal crying, really screaming. He went looking around the parking lot to see what was going on, when he saw this large dog standing in a car where it seemed the screaming was coming from. The young mother had left the baby strapped in its seat, (only about 3 months old) in the car with the dog to go inside and see the father who was a bagboy in the store. The dog had been eating the baby's nose. My father in law broke the car window and kept the dog occupied while he yelled for help. I don't know what ever became of the baby, or the dog, my father in law told me about it several years after it had happened.

I dont see how the baby could have provoked that. I think with some dogs, no provocation is needed. Maybe they are lacking in sense. maybe they are devious, or jealous, or just plain evil. I don't see that as a reason to condemn an entire breed. But, I dont see how an infant could provoke an animal. especially not one strapped in a car seat.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
No... not evil...dogs don't work that way, only people do.

The one was bred to hunt small animals, the other to do much the same. What probably happened was the squirming baby triggered the prey drive in one or the other dog, and a pack mentality caused the other dog to join in... if both were involved.

Very very sad though. Poor people and poor dogs.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Well, I suppose you could argue that animals don't work that way, but have you ever seen the movie 'The Ghost and the Darkness?' It is based on a true story. Not loosely based, based. They could not find any reason for their torturing the humans, and yet they did. Things happen that are beyond our understanding. I am not saying that the two who mauled that baby or the one who mauled the other ARE evil, but I think anything is possible. We know that dogs feel jealousy of one another, maybe they do of babies too.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
No... not evil...dogs don't work that way, only people do.

The one was bred to hunt small animals, the other to do much the same. What probably happened was the squirming baby triggered the prey drive in one or the other dog, and a pack mentality caused the other dog to join in... if both were involved.

Very very sad though. Poor people and poor dogs.
I was just thinking that. Dogs don't attack for no reason. They were most likely trained to hunt small animals and a baby doesn't look much different than another small animal.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I had to wiki it. Looks like a good movie, although the wiki did say it was loosely based on facts, IE it had the nationality of the hunter guy wrong.

As for why they may have tortured the humans... haven't you ever seen a cat with a mouse? They'll bite a foot off then happily maul it for hours. Cats are like that, they play with their food. And apperently those two lions are from a subspecies of lion known to be much more aggressive then regular lions, they were maneless lions.

I will agree that it seems possible for a dog to be jealous of a baby. I've seen dogs being jealous of kids and such, but they didn't bite... just pushed the kid away.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
i read this on another dog forum...its such a sad story..i feel for the parents..dogs dont generally attack for no reason..when i was about 10 my neighbours son use to fight the dog, she was a bulldog and about a year old, and when i went down to stroke her one day she bit my bottom lip, as i pulled away she grabbed my trainer..the owner might have played with him in a way like push their jaw away with their hand so the dog comes back and the child might have moved their hand close to the dogs face so the dog reacted..who knows?

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I'm torn with this story because of what they said

""I know people can't prove anything but at this moment in time it does suggest that it was the dog."

I also feel that dogs do still have that pack mind in them becasue i know when i was fostering the dachshund he did soemthing that made me think he shouldn't be around kids or small things.

He'd pick up his toys and shake them then i had a friend come over with her puppy(8wk) he picked the puppy up by the neck and shook him like a toy!

So anything could happen

·
Registered
6 Posts
My guess is A. the adults are idiots and B. if the baby was provoking the dog it was pulling ears/tails/fur.
Most kids/babies do it to dogs, not out of nastiness but because they are normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm torn with this story because of what they said

""I know people can't prove anything but at this moment in time it does suggest that it was the dog."

I also feel that dogs do still have that pack mind in them becasue i know when i was fostering the dachshund he did soemthing that made me think he shouldn't be around kids or small things.

He'd pick up his toys and shake them then i had a friend come over with her puppy(8wk) he picked the puppy up by the neck and shook him like a toy!

So anything could happen
Dachshunds where bred to hunt hare and stoat. Anything small that moves (that includes if a human is moving it) will get picked up and "killed" (shaken up). ;) Dachshund gotta do what a Dachshund was bred to Lol.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I don't know what all the circumstances were surrounding this, but until people get it through their thick heads that you can NOT take your eyes off a baby when there is a dog around, not even for a split second, these things are going to continue to happen.

I agree that there are some dogs that are just plain evil, but more times than not, it's the owners fault. For God's sake.

We like to think of our dogs as our babies, but the reality is that they are animals first, our babies second. I do not believe that it's possible to breed the animal instinct out of them. They can be trained to behave in certain ways, but they always need to be watched.

I love my fur family, and all four have different temperaments, but I won't leave the immediate area when the little ones are here.

·
Registered
621 Posts
sad...but like lin said, an animal is an animal, wether we think its our baby or not.... no animal is truely humanised i guess you would say. they still ahve their natural instincts, and still need to be watched 100% around children. poor family... my heart goes out to them.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I think it is very weird and possibly fishy. I hate that the dogs were put down without even getting to the bottom of what happened? Who know's the lady that was keeping the child maybe threw him to the dogs...sound horrible but you really never know.

Maybe the child had some food on it and wasnt being supervised? and it went from innocent licking and the dogs got food aggressive between the two and it went really bad from there? Good have been the same thing with the story given earlier about the nose being eaten off? You dont really know what is really going through there mind as they do not think like we do.

So many scenarious in my mind? I hope we will get an updated post to find out what the lady claims.

It is so tragic and my heart goes out to this babies family.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Staffie and young child...sorry but that's just WRONG. There's a staffie near my folks that the owner itself describes as "it will kill another dog, don't let your dog near my dog" I'm not saying every staffie is a killer but it has to be the breed far and away the most common to be involved in these awful incidents :( maybe not in the US but it certainly is here.
It's humans that are at fault for breeding certain breeds for many years to fight, even after the fighting is banned the bred in instinct we humans put there lives on, so humans have to deal with the result. I have young kids I wouldn't have a staffie in a million years. You can't trust any dog because well it's a dog! But at least go with a breed that doesn't come up time and time again in attacks like this. That's just playing with odds. Like crossing a motorway at 1/2 a mph and praying you don't get hit, rather than running across!
However this happened it shouldn't have happened and dogs that get a taste for human blood/other dogs blood shouldn't live on. They do it once, they will do it again. I adore dogs but us humans made this problem and we have to deal with it.
Saying a dog that attacks and or kills deserves another chance is like saying a human that attacks and kills another human in the most horrific way deserves another chance. Silence of the lambs?! Both dogs after that event would see humans as meat and both fully realise they had the power to kill. I remember a story not that long ago (nother staffie) where the police dog handlers couldn't even get near the dog that killed a child after the attack. they had to shoot it on spot. It turned into a loonatic trying to kill them all. Basically with a taste of blood and the power of a kill its age old wolf like instinct with added fighting dog bred in kicked in.
As for the Jack Russell I'd bet the Staffie did the deed and the Jack Russell did what any dog would have done after, saw it as a kill and joined in. That dog if left to live would see it as accepted behaviour to see children as meat.
Incidents like these you have to step out the box, put your love of dogs aside and as awful as it sounds work through it scientifically and logically.
Those dogs no longer had a place in this world

Poor child and it's poor family :(

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
No matter what the breed they do not need to unattended with small children and no matter what the breed it IS the owner that should raise the dog properly and keep it in line but there is also a possibility of an imbalance in the dog that causes problems just like in humans. And being bred properly as aggression can be passed down in lines as well.

The Staffordshire Terrier nor the Pit Bull as a breed are dangerous it is people and certain breeding that makes them so, other than the instinct of the breed themselves ;-)

I know plenty of the sweetest bully breeds in the world that just adore their younger members of the families but at the same time they are not left unattended with them either.

The bully breeds you here about that in these fighting rings.. are intact, abused, starved, and they throw defenseless animals in there with them to gain a blood thirst so it really isnt their nature to do what they do, they are tortured and trained to do so. The breed's are bred for strength and to be able to physically perform this way but not to kill...that is trained into them...Bless them:-(

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Sorry -off topic reply

dachshunds where bred to hunt hare and stoat. Anything small that moves (that includes if a human is moving it) will get picked up and "killed" (shaken up). ;) dachshund gotta do what a dachshund was bred to lol.

yea your right , i don't fault him besides that he was a super dog! I'm glad we was about to find him a great home.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Staffie and young child...sorry but that's just WRONG. There's a staffie near my folks that the owner itself describes as "it will kill another dog, don't let your dog near my dog" I'm not saying every staffie is a killer but it has to be the breed far and away the most common to be involved in these awful incidents :( maybe not in the US but it certainly is here.
It's humans that are at fault for breeding certain breeds for many years to fight, even after the fighting is banned the bred in instinct we humans put there lives on, so humans have to deal with the result. I have young kids I wouldn't have a staffie in a million years. You can't trust any dog because well it's a dog! But at least go with a breed that doesn't come up time and time again in attacks like this. That's just playing with odds. Like crossing a motorway at 1/2 a mph and praying you don't get hit, rather than running across!
However this happened it shouldn't have happened and dogs that get a taste for human blood/other dogs blood shouldn't live on. They do it once, they will do it again. I adore dogs but us humans made this problem and we have to deal with it.
Saying a dog that attacks and or kills deserves another chance is like saying a human that attacks and kills another human in the most horrific way deserves another chance. Silence of the lambs?! Both dogs after that event would see humans as meat and both fully realise they had the power to kill. I remember a story not that long ago (nother staffie) where the police dog handlers couldn't even get near the dog that killed a child after the attack. they had to shoot it on spot. It turned into a loonatic trying to kill them all. Basically with a taste of blood and the power of a kill its age old wolf like instinct with added fighting dog bred in kicked in.
As for the Jack Russell I'd bet the Staffie did the deed and the Jack Russell did what any dog would have done after, saw it as a kill and joined in. That dog if left to live would see it as accepted behaviour to see children as meat.
Incidents like these you have to step out the box, put your love of dogs aside and as awful as it sounds work through it scientifically and logically.
Those dogs no longer had a place in this world

Poor child and it's poor family :(
And here in the States we call Am-Staffs 'nanny dogs', as they are just that gentle with children. A well bred one has no human aggression, because they were bred to be handled in the pit by humans as they fought. Any dog that snapped at his/her handler was put down as mean.

I had a dog like that, hated dogs. He was a 100 pound Malamute. He'd kill any small creature he could catch, he'd fight any dog (he tolerated our other dogs barely)... but like most other Husky breeds he was extremely people friendly. he might have licked people to death though. We also had a Cockapoo. He was maybe 15-20 pounds of fuzzy white cuteness. But, he would bite. Wasn't friendly at all.

And yet it was assumed that the big wolf-looking dog was not friendly. People would cross the street to stay away from the tail wagging 'mute.. but would stick their dumb faces right into the little snappy-growly cockapoo's face. Please take no offense (it isn't targeted at you at all), but this seems to be a common assumption with people who do not have bigger dogs. Bully breeds are not naturally human aggressive. They are recommended for households with children because they do not have human aggressive tendencies... unless you, say beat them, or train them or breed them to be that way.

Having known many pits and a few Jacks... if the dogs did it, I'd have to say it was the other way around. Jacks aren't that well mannered to begin with, they are very-terrier. They attack little wiggling things on sight, as they were bred to do.

I agree, poor people. They should have been watching the baby though. Everyone should know you don't leave children alone with dogs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts