Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive just bought a chi from someone. He's 5 months old and she said she got him at 8 weeks old as a birthday present. When we picked him up, she said its because she works almost 60 hours a week so he's never around them and it isn't fair on him being in a crate all day, which is fair enough.

But we got him home and he's extremely boisterous, which i expected from a puppy anyway, but he's literally allover the place constantly. He's trying to chew ANYTHING he can find, he's constantly playbiting and doesn't know when to stop. He keeps jumping on my son and knocking him over too. Obviously he's still young so i didn't expect him to be fully trained, but i assumed he would know not to playbite and nip by now? I guess the lady didn't have time to show him these things, so its down to me to nip it in the bud asap.

Has anyone got any tips that will help me?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I'm not very good on the training thing but all I can say is he may grow out of some of the behaviour. My Rolo drove me mad with the play biting, I was really worried about it as I have two 21 month old grandsons who were both only 10 months old at the time. He doesn't do it anymore at all. I would say get him some bully sticks, chi's seem to totally love them and will chew on them for hours. He needs to be distracted and have something that he is allowed to chew. I'm sure others will jump in with suggestions! Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Also, if you don't have a crate/cage I would get one! Chi's also like their own space and they like to have a little den of their own. It doesn't have to be a huge one. I don't use mine as a punishment but my chi's get popped in there whenever I need them to be out of the way if the grandchildren. They have everything in there so they love it

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
A lot of people find that when they bite, making a high pitched noise like another puppy does the trick. Biting everything in sight is normal for a puppy, especially one who hasn't been around people a lot. He thinks it's okay. You could also invest in some bitter apple spray (meant for dogs) to use on objects he goes after most often and if you catch him in the act, tell him "no". I agree with confining him when you can't watch him. A playpen would work perfectly. You don't want him chewing through a cord and electrocuting himself.

Also make sure he's getting enough exercise. A tired puppy is a good puppy!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
A lot of people find that when they bite, making a high pitched noise like another puppy does the trick. Biting everything in sight is normal for a puppy, especially one who hasn't been around people a lot. He thinks it's okay. You could also invest in some bitter apple spray (meant for dogs) to use on objects he goes after most often and if you catch him in the act, tell him "no". I agree with confining him when you can't watch him. A playpen would work perfectly. You don't want him chewing through a cord and electrocuting himself.

Also make sure he's getting enough exercise. A tired puppy is a good puppy!

I'd forgotten about that! That is something we used to do. Shout "ow!" as loud as you can without frightening everyone else to death when he bites. Then pull a pained expression at him. Rolo did get the message after a while, he would look at me with his head cocked to one side as if to say "whats up mum? what did i do?" Its because he's only 5 months old and also probably teething. They do everything with their mouths at that age.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
When he bites, make a high pitched "yip" noise. It is similar to the noise a littermate would make to tell him it hurt. At 8 weeks he absolutely does NOT know not to bite. That's one reason why getting one so young can sometimes pose problems.

As far as the rest , make sure your house is 100% puppy proof. Nothing is unsecured or left laying around. Duct tape wires to the floor. Block behind couches and other furniture. Never let him out of your sight. If you can't fully supervise crate him or put him in a playpen.

Supervise all interactions with your son. When he acts inappropriately around him, say a stern "no" (do not yell, just let him know you are serious) get up and take your son away. Soon he will learn that certain behaviors mean that he can no longer play.

Most of the behavior you describe is typical 8 week old puppy behavior. He will most likely grow out of all of it. The tips above will help to manage it and teach him what behaviors won't be allowed.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Puplove168, her puppy isn't 8 weeks he is 5 months old. The previous owner got him when he was 8 weeks.
Oops. Sorry. But it's still pretty true for a 5 month old puppy. This puppy likely didn't learn bite inhibition and so it has to learn it now. And many of the behaviors described are typical of a 5 month old puppy too.

Sorry OP for the reading comprehension failure on my part.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies. I've been trying the high pitched 'oww' and he suddenly stos as if to say What's wrong?' so I think if I perservere then that may help in the long term!

Another thing that's now cropped up is he's very anxious when me or my partner leave the room/house. My dad has been up twice to see him and said the dog must of been starved of human contact because he's obsessed with love and affection!
I've got a small pen which the previous owner gave me, but he gets out of it easily as it has no roof on it. Both me and my partner need to go out tomorrow so it will be the first time he is left alone in the house. I really don't know what to do with him or where to leave him as I really don't want a ripped up carpet!

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I agree with the advice already given. It worked for Venus! I remember her biting our feet all the time when she was a puppy. It drove me mad!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum, it sounds as if you may have to invest in a proper crate for your pup as these come with lids/roofs so the pup can't climb out. As for tomorrow can you turn the one you've got upside down ? Just a thought. If not how about putting the pup in the bathroom with a bed, food, water, plenty of toys and a pee pad in. Only suggesting this as bathrooms tend to be smaller so pup won't feel so lost as in a big room, also there shouldn't be any cables to worry about either, make sure there's nothing dangerous around though like cleaners or bleach etc. good luck, these first few weeks are always a challenge as you get into a routine but it'll all be worth it.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Hi and welcome to chi people!

The sharp "ow" is very good! It takes a while for them to learn. You can also, immediately end playtime when he does that. They love to play, so ending it wouldn't be fun for him!

He needs close monitoring. Puppies get into everything! Probably more so with chis because they are small (hard to find sometimes - lol!) and FAST!

How old is your son?

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Hi and welcome to chi people!

The sharp "ow" is very good! It takes a while for them to learn. You can also, immediately end playtime when he does that. They love to play, so ending it wouldn't be fun for him!

He needs close monitoring. Puppies get into everything! Probably more so with chis because they are small (hard to find sometimes - lol!) and FAST!

How old is your son?

Have fun!
I really would invest in a proper small crate then you can go out and relax knowing that he isn't up to naughties. The only thing that stuck in my head is don't put a collar on him while he's in there. A lady in pets at home told me there have been cases of dogs hanging themselves with their collars on crates. Rare I expect but it stuck in my head! He will settle. He's still a baby, they change so much by the time they are adult and believe me it comes round quickly

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
A puppy being crated for the first 5 months of his life is going to have a bunch of pent up energy to exert. Give it a chance & lots of patience. Everything he's doing is totally normal puppy behavior. Does your bathroom have a lineoleum floor? You could leave him in the bathroom with his food, water & puppy pads. Make sure toilet seat is down & there's nothing in there he can get into.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I use sharp "shsh" It seems to work with every animal even my parrot if his plucking him self.

I think you should get a playpan or a crate for him and you could also leave the music on or TV so he can feel like there is someone there.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I agree with everyone, and like Rolo and Buttons said about the collar in the crate, "ditto." In fact, mine don't wear collars in the house. I've had several incidents where they caught on fabric as well, like handmade blankets, sweaters, etc. But a crate or carrier is a must. Angel is in his right now and the door is always left open. It is his safe place. I have 3 actually, a larger one for him to sleep in, one we use for the car which he just lies down in (short rides) and one in my kitchen to keep him out from under foot!

They do need to burn off their energy, though! It can be overwhelming now, but before you know it, he will no longer be that super energized puppy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts