·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do i do when i have used a command/word
too many times, and it has become meaningless to
my pup? change words?...or is that trick gone 4ever

<3update<3

yay! it wasnt lost!! i was persistant (sp?) and it worked!
now bobo lays down on one command! im so proud
i use "lay down". anyhow he's great at following through
with "lay down" now! i dont know what to work on next!...
what can help me in the long run?

this is bobo doing "lay down" for his empty toilet paper roll

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
The key eventually is that you do NOT have to repeat yourself 10 X's.....that is a dog not listening.

I do repeat myself just cause I am determined to win. Technically any trainer will tell you that is not acceptable :lol:
Bindi is way better than Kemo if I can get her attention (Doggy ADD here :D )....Kemo is a very stubborn dog. I can tell him to sit and sit and sit and he looks at me...........then when he realizes he isnt getting the treat or whatever he half sits ready to spring up at any sec.....
but not always to be fair to him :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
you should only have to say your command once and only once..if you are repeating yourself you aren't actually wanting the dog to listen to you. By repeating yourself over and over you are telling the dog that he can decided when to do it. You are the boss..say the command once and then enforce it. Make him lay down if he doesn't after the first time you tell him to. Hold him there..tell him he's a good boy and give him a treat and kept doing this over and over and over until he gets it.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
its not lost forever, just give up on the trick for a little while a week or so and try again.
the trick to training is keep all training sessions short, fun and easy!

also try not to force behaviours...you want the entire experience to be positive so he WANTS to do it. by forcing him down and holding him there hes gonna think he did something wrong...
instead use the treat to lure him into the position you want.

use a treat hold it to his nose then move it down towards the floor slowly saying down as you do so. as soon as he makes it remotly close to the floor say good and give treat. at first dont make him wait for the treat, rember, dogs dont do anythign unless they want to...so give him a reason to want to.

also skip the "lay down" and just use "down" the 2 words becomes confusing at first 1 word per action usually works much better for understanding purposes.

in the meantime while your waiting for puppy dd to take over, try to catch him doing the behaviour...whenever you see him lay down just say down, followed imediatly by good, this works basically as a sort of subliminal message.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
foxywench said:
its not lost forever, just give up on the trick for a little while a week or so and try again.
the trick to training is keep all training sessions short, fun and easy!

also try not to force behaviours...you want the entire experience to be positive so he WANTS to do it. by forcing him down and holding him there hes gonna think he did something wrong...
instead use the treat to lure him into the position you want.

use a treat hold it to his nose then move it down towards the floor slowly saying down as you do so. as soon as he makes it remotly close to the floor say good and give treat. at first dont make him wait for the treat, rember, dogs dont do anythign unless they want to...so give him a reason to want to.

also skip the "lay down" and just use "down" the 2 words becomes confusing at first 1 word per action usually works much better for understanding purposes.

in the meantime while your waiting for puppy dd to take over, try to catch him doing the behaviour...whenever you see him lay down just say down, followed imediatly by good, this works basically as a sort of subliminal message.

but i already use "down" for him to get down from things? like the couch and car seat?.....so will it work for "lay down"?

·
Registered
403 Posts
if your trying to teach him to lay down do you tell him to sit then put a treat to his nose and lower the treat while saying lay down? thats how i taught my chi's. and then eventually when you point your figure down they'll do it automatically...i use lay down for them to lay down and down for them to get off of things..hope that helped somewhat..it takes time

·
Registered
151 Posts
try teaching off..as in off of the couch..off of the blanket. Down should only be used when you want them to lay down.

I have labs along with my chis and we use the off command for getting off of something..bed, couch, me :) and down is for laying down.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
don't go changing things up now. if you use down to get him off things then use it for that. to lay down try something like sleep or even try "down" in another language. if he already knows down as one thing it would be too confusing to change the command to another meaning. and then if you say lay down he hears his down command and is like wait i'm not on anything....

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
if your using down as an off comand then using laydown will only confuse him cause as was said hell hear down rather than lay and wonder what he did wrong...

so for laying down pick another word completly.
you could even use LAY/Lie as your word or sleep or something to represent laying down, but if your using down for something else that MIGHT be the problem. puppy is just confused.

and do not change the meaning of down now cause that will also confuse him..if down means get off then leave down as that and pick a new word for laying down.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I was also told during training some dogs find down or laying down as being told to do so as a submissive state and refuse.I had one dog like that. i had to attach the lead to the collar put my foot on the lead with very little slack and say down as i was saying down i had to pull on the lead to force her down pull once she hit the floor she got her praise and treat. 15-30 minutes a day is all a dog should be trained. JMO and when done training remove lead and say out or ok. this way the dog knows the session is over

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Try adding hand signals to your training - I found that very helpful when training Cooper. Now, he responds to words, hand signals and both of them combined. I think the visual helped him put everything together in his brain.

And just make up the hand signals - whatever you think you will remember when you're using them. LOL (I always forget so sometimes, I tell Cooper to sit while giving him the hand signal for "call 911"... he just stares at me and waits for me to make up my mind.)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Here are the commands that I find are most helpful with Cooper: Sit, Down (lay down), Drop it - I use this one constantly and Come. I also have him trained on Stop and Wait which are used in conjunction with each other. Stop is both a verbal and hand signal command. When we're walking, the hand signal tells him to stop when I do - when he's out running around, the verbal command stops him in his tracks. Wait is a verbal command that I use after Stop so he waits for traffic to pass when crossing the street or he waits for me to catch up to him so I can yell at him for whatever he's done wrong. LOL

Congrats to Bobo for figuring out the down command! That one is hard ... especially to get them to stay there! Keep up the good work :D

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you!

how did you train cooper to do "drop it"? did you put something in his mouth, or wait till he had something in his mouth?.....how did you get him to understand to drop it?.....did you pull it out?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I would wait for him to pick up something he didn't need to have, then I'd say "hey" to get his attention, then "drop it". He's really submissive, so he would but during those times where he just didn't want to, I'd catch him, make him open his mouth and, as it fell out, I'd say "drop it".

I never touched the item or pulled it out - I made him drop it so he'd know what he was doing.

I also have a noise I make, similar to the one everyone's mother makes, that sounds like "naayyaaahhh". That doubles as "drop it", "stop" and "youbetterrunbecauseImabouttowhipyourbutt". :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
For the drop it command i usually teach my chis when we play ball they fetch it and bring it to me and i say drop it.it has worked well with my older chi since she loves to play ball.i have done also to get her to drop anything she has in her mouth say a toothpick,paper,leaves,etc..it really has worked for her.my younger one is a little stubborn she already knows how to sit and stay but we are working more on it cause she loves to run out the door the good thing we have a fenced yard but even then its importsant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts