Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been very diligently working with my little guy to train him for some basics. Like sit, stay, leave it.... those types of things. Some of them he has mastered, like "leave it" if you can believe it! He is very good. However "sit" ... I think hes just being stubborn on that one! But the big problem he has is begging at the dinner table. I am trying to impliment positive reinforcement type of training with him. I am open to ideas about how to make him not jump like a jumping bean at the dinner table. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If he begs during dinner, personally I would crate him at that time. Pip used to beg all the time, but now shes figured out if she begs she's put in her crate, so she doesnt do it anymore :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
When I eat on the couch or something I wait and Wait ....and wait till she loses interest or sits, or just stops jumping, and then give her a little treat. This way she wants to sit patiently and wait till im done.

It bothers my partner though because she still watches you like a hawke hahaha

but she would do that from her crate anyways! haha

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I feed my chi THK & at supper time, she gets her 2nd helping, so she eats when we eat. She did finish before we did & would start begging. I said "No, you ate" & picked her up & put her in the living room & she tried one time after that to come back in & I said NO. So now when she finishes, she goes in the living room & doesn't beg. These little dogs are definitely not stupid, but boy can they be stubborn!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is THK?

So today I decided to put him into the living room, make him sit and gave him a treat. I did have to repeat this a few times but about half way through the dinner he was sitting nicely in the living room, just sitting there. Watching us of course LOL. Man, these dogs are stubborn! lol. I am going to continue trying this method. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
What is THK?

So today I decided to put him into the living room, make him sit and gave him a treat. I did have to repeat this a few times but about half way through the dinner he was sitting nicely in the living room, just sitting there. Watching us of course LOL. Man, these dogs are stubborn! lol. I am going to continue trying this method. Wish me luck!
THK-The Honest Kitchen-Homemade dehydrated food. Sounds like he's getting the point if he was sitting nicely in the living room half way through. You'll probably have to do it all over again tomorrow, but he'll get the point. Just be firm & stern with your commands like "STAY" "NO". Good luck! I know it will work out. I would hold off on the treats til your down with dinner, not every time you have to put in back in the living room, that might be confusing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts