Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that everyone has been doing well! I have missed reading all the posts here while I have been going through some medical issues.

How does someone train a chihuahua not to chew on things except for their toys. Recently Jaxx has been chewing on everything he can get his paws on. I try to keep everything out of his reach but I would also like to teach him not to chew on things. I have tried telling him "No" when I catch him but the next time he gets access to something he chews away.

Yesterday I accidentally left my cell phone at home when I went shopping. When we came home and did not see it on the couch where I left it I thought I had dropped it somewhere but when my boyfriend called my phone we found it in Jaxx's bed. Fortunately there is only a couple teeth marks on it and the screen protector was ruined but it really upset my boyfriend because he just bought me the phone for Valentines day.

I know it was my fault for leaving the phone on the couch and I explained that to Brock but I would like to train Jaxx not to chew on things.

Keeping items out of his reach works but I would like to teach him not to chew on our stuff so that if I leave something down by accident I don't have to worry it is going to be destroyed.

Jaxx is usually really good about behaving when we are not home so I do not really want to put him in his kennel while we are away. I figure he is in his kennel 6 to 8 hours every night so I do not want for him to have to go into it during the day. I usually walk around the living room, dining room, and kitchen before I leave the house to make sure there is not anything he can get into and close the other doors so he is limited to those three rooms.

Any tips for helping Jaxx understand not to chew on anything but toys would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He will be 8 months in a couple days. I figure it is a puppy stage and perhaps still teething but, I just don't want him to grow up thinking that is okay to chew on our stuff.

I have tried a couple of different sprays that are supposed to make dogs not want to chew but he chews on items anyway.

My boyfriend says it is just a stage and he will grow out of it but my head says that if he keeps doing it and we do not find a way to stop it then he thinks it is okay and will continue to do it. He is great about not chewing on furniture and I am thankful for that but chewing on clothes and items like phones is not much better.

I am with him most of the day so most of the time I can grab the item and tell him "no" but he doesn't seem to understand.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
It takes perseverance on your part, you must keep on taking away the item he
is not supposed to be chewing and replacing it with higher value chew toys. Lots
of praise and positive reinforcement every time you catch him chewing what he
is supposed to chew. If he is still teething he is in pain and a whole lot of
discomfort. Give him frozen beans to help sooth his sore gums, or soak a sock tie
a knot in it and freeze it, it makes a great teething toy. Also buy chew toys of
different textures and switch it up daily, so he does not lose interest. Good luck. :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I just saw your reply. He can also be chewing from stress or boredom.
Walk him well before leaving the house, play with him more throughout
the day, tire him out, he'll feel better mentally and physically, and will
leave your things alone.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We go for long walks about every two to three hours usually on a normal day. He seemed to have chewed less when I could mix up his walks and walk in different areas but they are building a retaining wall at our apartment complex around the lake right now so our walking areas is limited but we still walk a lot just in the same area. Hopefully the retaining wall will be done soon and we can mix up our walks again. Usually after our walks he comes in and goes to sleep. We play fetch and other games as well during the day, usually until he gets tired.

He has come out of his shell a lot in the past couple months and does not act like he is scared of his own shadow but perhaps it could be stress. I do not think he was treated very well before we got him and it has taken months for him not to run whenever he heard a noise. Lately he has even been running around wanting to have people who I talk to outside play with him. Our property manager even mentioned the other day that he was not shaking because for the first couple months we had him he shook anytime we took him around people other than my boyfriend and myself. We have worked with him getting him used to different environments and different people.

I guess I have been doing the correct thing because I do take away the item he should not be chewing on and give him one of his favorite chew toys instead.

I have also read that chihuahua's normally teeth between 5-6 months so he should be finished teething but his ears have been popping up and down like crazy lately so I wonder if he is just a late bloomer in teething.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I agree with what the others have said!

You are fortunate that he is chewing things that you can remove from him. My oldest had nearly chewed up baseboards and my deceased mother-in-law's antique furniture before I thought to ask here.

I was told, then, about the mysterious Chi chewing that can happen at 8-10 months even if they had never chewed before or chewed early and stopped.

Mine were 8 and 9 months.

So, I liberally sprayed everything with bitter apple (as was suggested to me) and kept everything up as if I was baby proofing my home and it stopped.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
At 8 months he can definitely still be in discomfort, his baby teeth have probably
fallen out by now, but his adult teeth are not all done protruding, which is also
painful. Keep doing what you are doing, it is all very good, and it will pay off.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have one that at 15 months STILL chews things when he is bored ( luckily he is one that is with my hubby during the week--lol). I keep telling hubby to make more chews available and to switch them up daily. When he does, my bored chewing Clapton is much better. We use bully sticks of various shapes & sizes, antlers, cow ears of different sizes, tripe sticks etc...
Have used the bitter apple spray, but it didn't help very much. Exercise & chew sticks are out best solutions.
Good luck :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.