Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. A post a couple weeks ago got me thinking. It talked about feeding where your chi had an 'accident' to reset their thinking. Well, I've been training Mickey to use a potty pad at night (so mommy can sleep) and when he's home alone. He's got the idea. (It's coming in handy with this snow.) My quandary- I've been leaving a small treat next to the pad so he gets a treat when he visits the pad. Will that little treat confuse him? He's a stealth pooper and peer, so I can't catch him quick enough for an effective reward. Thoughts, please. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Think it's a good idea.Dottie has pee pads indoors(she uses ) but when i take her out in the garden or for a walk she always pees outside,so she does both.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I have used food to deter cats from toileting in the wrong place, I'm not sure dogs are as fussy. I feed mine on (clean) pee pads, they still know they are toilets when not being used as tablecloths. I couldn't leave any food laying around though, it would be eaten instantly. Is a food reward even going to work as reinforcement with a dog who isn't very food motivated?
For most dogs being allowed to pee indoors and not have to endure the nasty weather is reward in itself, which is why toilet training is so tricky in winter, indoor accidents are self-reinforcing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My tia is a stealth pooer she goes out and in but she snail trails inside lol then when bin she comes and tells us with a bark and little dance and doesn't stop until we go see what she has done and clean it up then she gets praised and so it becomes a game .... Wouldn't have it any other way.

Sent from Petguide.com App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts