Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a hard time training my 2 year old chi, i'm just unsure of how to go about it correctly, I tried for an half hour yesterday to teach him sit and wait but he just stared at me like, "but mommy i don't understand" and started doing his signature move. (standing up on his hind legs and batting his front paws together)

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you haven't read this book:

It's definitely a good read! :book:It's a very well rounded book that takes into consideration our tiny chi's small size with positive reinforcement, but still understanding that they're dogs (just smaller!) and has a great array of tips to help through miscommunications, personality quirks, all with "shaping", "luring" and positive reinforcement! It helped me a lot in my training with Ponyo! I learned much from this book, even though I've been a groomer/trainer/handler for most of my life.

You can get it on Amazon for $.01 (shipping is $4). It's out of print so it most likely won't be at your local Barnes & Noble. I was so excited when it arrived at my house, and it was indispensable in my training of little miss Ponyo!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've been having a hard time training my 2 year old chi, i'm just unsure of how to go about it correctly, I tried for an half hour yesterday to teach him sit and wait but he just stared at me like, "but mommy i don't understand" and started doing his signature move. (standing up on his hind legs and batting his front paws together)
Omg Charlie does this! It's one of his tricks, I say clap and he stands on his back legs on claps lol!
Good luck with the training! You have to just keep trying and it will eventually click, it took me ages to get Bailey to do basic commands but once he got it he would do whatever you asked him. Charlie on the other hand is very clever, he picks up the tricks very quickly but has selective hearing! Unless the treat is a very smelly tasty one! X

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
If you have the patience, just wait until he sits by himself, then say Sit and treat him. They are very bright and soon associate the word with the action. It sounds like he is excited by the prospect of the treat, if you just keep holding it above him he will get bored (ignore the attention seeking behaviour) and sit down.
I am intrigued by that book, I have ordered myself a copy :)

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I have done a lot of training, including competitive obedience as a teenager, but have mostly worked with large breeds. (I have worked with GSDs a lot.) I am relatively new to Chihuahuas, having had them less than 3 years, so it is always nice to find different ways of approaching things with the tinies.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
That book is a good idea, I'll try and find it too. I'm similar to pixie, I've trained larger dogs but my chi is totally different. She obeys me well when she knows I have a treat but she ignores a lot of my commands when she knows I don't have one! Never seen dogs so savvy before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts