Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if you had any training tips for me. When I try to get Neeko to sit he stands and dances or runs awayand won't come back. Seems like basic training is the hardest with them.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Try and find a place with few distractions, so no interesting noises or smells. Then use food treats, (ie bribes!) whatever he finds really yummy and irresistable. Dried liver is good, some people use cheese, mine will do anything for cooked chicken. (Remember to break it into teeny tiny scraps)
Don't let him have the reward until he has performed the required action. It sounds simple, but if you are asking him to sit, he gets nothing until his bum is on the floor! Make him work for it, and be consistent. Just use one word commands too, eg 'sit' not 'sit down' or 'please-sit-down-good-boy!'. Remember the dog is listening to your tone of voice, not the actual words, you could be speaking Swahili for all he knows.
Keep sessions short, and keep it fun for both of you. Chi's are very quick learners, so try and keep one step ahead of him. Good luck :)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I trained my 11 & 9 wo to sit for treats in about 30 mins all up, as in about 3 short sessions.

All I do is call out "Come! Come!" in a high pitched animated voice as I'm walking into another room. They rush to follow or find me wherever I am. I have a treat in each hand, tap the floor directly in front of me saying "Come!" just once.

Once they move forward I repeated the word "Sit" "Sit" over and over ... they were jumping all over each other trying to get to the treat which I wouldn't hand over until eventually they focussed on me, got very bored watching my eyes and plonked themselves down on their butts - instantly they received the treats. They got the hang of it in the very first session and received only about 3 treats, and I just do it several times a day now. It's only taking a few seconds, if that, for them to sit on command now.

Once they've got that down to perfection (instead of the initial jumping, dancing, climbing all over each other for a couple of seconds) they'll then be taken to the next level whereby they will not receive the treat until I say "Eat it" and they will then be permitted to gently and slowly take it from my hand. Ditto with feeding them meals, they will sit and eventually will not start until I tell them to "Eat it!"

Having said all that, it is sooooo much easier to train 2 simultaneously than it is one, you get the Monkey See, Monkey Do effect going on.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I lover clicker training and so do my dogs. Do a youtube search for Emily Larlham (kikopup). She has lots of free training videos with her little chi mix, Kiko. She has a great teaching style too. When i have issues teaching a trick, its usually something Im doing thats causing the problem! Keep us posted...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Train when they're hungry, so before a meal, because then they will see the treats as a great reward!! And ALWAYS stop training before they get bored and end on a high note. Keep sessions short, so 3 or 4 minutes a couple of times a day. I definitely recommend clicker training!

·
Registered
363 Posts
My littlest, Blitz, is a brat when it comes to training. I did the treats and short sessions, which worked great. I also used a leash, I found that since he was so easily distracted it really helped bring the focus back to me and our training session. Sometimes he would try an run for it lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts