Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wondering how you train your chi?

I started taking my little girl to puppy classes a couple of weeks ago. They teach the ‘positive reinforcement method’ there, which basically means – praise the good behaviour and ignore the bad. In other words, no punishment, which I really like. The trainer shows us how to train your puppy to sit, and lay down etc. but my girl doesn’t really do it that way. For example to get your puppy to sit, you hold a tasty treat and let her sniff it, then you move the treat over her body, naturally most dogs will lower their lower end and sit. Then when they sit, you say the word ‘sit’ and that’s how they learn. Unfortunately my little girl doesn’t lower her behind when I do that, so I started clicker-training 2 weeks ago. And she loves it!!! We both do! I get her attention so easily and she is very keen to please me and to get a click, which means a treat!! She now sits, jumps and stands on her back legs – all on command! She learned it so quickly and it is so much fun for the both of us! She loves it and comes running as soon as I get the clicker out! No matter what she is doing, when she sees the clicker, she comes running! :D

i'm just wondering how you guys train your babies?!

lena x

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I train my guys myself :) Glad to see she is catching on so quickly and you guys are having fun with it :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I use positive reinforcement training, often using a clicker or marker word. Clickers are a great training tool!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I train my own girls as well. I also don't use punishment at all or crating. That's just not my thing. I love training my girls! I have so much fun with it plus with the bonding! It's great. Shayley can Sit, Lay, Paw, Sit Pretty, High Five, Wave....Give kisses. That's what I can think of right now. Kizzie can Sit, Lay, Paw, Sit Pretty! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts