Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried in the past to train Koda but it was soooo difficult. He was always shaky and scared to death!!! I just wanna train him to be okay on a leash and to sit and stay, but nothing seems to work. When I put him on a leash, he'll just squat down and shake like he's some prisoner! Does anyone have any useful hints or anything I could use to train him to walk with a leash on him and sit????

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
About the leash I got one that loves them (Mr. Peepers) and one that hates them, Buster. I tend to carry Buster when we go places, other than walks or to the park. Mr. Peepers loves to walk but sometimes he gets too carried away. I don't have too much advice on that except to get him used to the leash first, put it on him around the house, under your supervision ofcourse :wink: . And then slowly introduce the walking. Maybe he'll eventually like it.

Mr. Peepers knows a couple tricks. He can sit and stay and he can do a twirl around dance for some treats. Also, he loves to jump on his hind legs while popping bubbles, very cute! To teach him, I used treats. Koda doesn't seem too interested in food right now, but if you find something he really likes try that with him. You just have to work with him over and over again and he'll get the hang of it. He seems like a very sensitive guy, so never yell or raise your voice at him while your training him and give him lots of praise and love. :) You want him to associate the training with something good, treats, love, etc. BTW, I didn't teach Mr. Peepers the bubble thing, that's just something he's always loved to do. :)

Someone will come along and give you some better advice. :wink: Angel5218 really knows her stuff and could give you some great advice. I think she's been really busy lately so she hasn't been on much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, when I first went shopping for puppy supplies I went to the only place on base besides the vet that would have collars and harnesses and I tried to find a harness that would fit him, but all of them were much too big. And they still are. But maybe the vet will have one in his size. Or I'll just go to a korean pet store and look. The only time Koda's worn a collar was when he was alot younger and we were just getting use to the little guy in our house so we got a little clip-on collar with a bell so we could hear him if he was near!!

By the way, whats the difference between the collar and harness besides the obvious physical appearance and how they fit on the dog? I didn't ever know if one was actually better over the other and why.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I don't know if they have them over there, but here in the US we can get ferret harnesses. They fit the smaller pups really well. I got one for Koke when I first got her and it worked really well.

Chis have a problem with their tracias. The collar will put extra strain on it if the dog pulls against the leash. The harness fits around the chest and doesn't put any pressure on the tracia.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts