Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i havent even had ashley for a week yet so im not to overalry concerened about this but how about training how do i need to go about it? I have puppy pads but she doesnt get the idea of peeing on them what can i do, she'll just pick a spot on the floor and pee and that is going to ruin the carpet! any advice?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Keep her off the carpet until she can be trusted. Personally, I'd suggest crate training. Or buy some baby gates and keep the puppy, along with the pee pads, in the kitchen, where the accidents are easier to clean up. They don't automatically know to go on pee pads. You have to show them over and over, until they get the idea.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:eek: Crate training is a great idea..at least till she gets a hand on the pee pads...and you gotta keep an eye on her and learn her pre pee or poo movements...once you know she's about to go potty..move her right away to the pee pad and eventually she'll understand and get the point..BTW..it might not happen in a day so don't get too frustrated if she doesn't get it tomorrow! :wink:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I crate train and if he piddles on the floor and I catch him I clap my hands loudly say NO firmly and redirect him to his piddle pads....also use the word potty with him and show him the pads.

If he's tearing something apart it's the same thing clap, no, and then into his crate he goes with the lights off and no visitations for 5 minutes straight no matter how much he whines.

Works wonders so far....also my husband and I have a baby gate we bought at the baby store and we "lock" him in the kitchen sometimes instead of using the crate....but it's the same concept....you are there because you were bad so no visitations for 5 minutes.

My brother is the one who taught me this little trick as it works with his dog lucy......he also said use the word off instead of down when they jump on someone because the puppies seem to reconize it better.....seems to be true so far.

If I get anymore hints from him that work on my chi I'll pass them along to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts