Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am very impressed with his potty training (I am probably jinxing myself) but he seemed to pick it up after about two weeks! Now that the weather is turning decent, I would like for him to start using the outdoors. But even if I take him out when I know he needs to,he waits til he gets t:)o his pad!! Suggestions please.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
What I would do is actually move the pad outside. Obviously you'll need to pick it up when he's done so it doesnt blow away if you dont have a way to get it to stay down; but thats what I always heard was how to do the transition. Eventually you just make the pad smaller and smaller til its just a little patch and by then he should be used to the concept that the outside environment is where he's supposed to go. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I took him out first thing this morning. I thought maybe if he sees my golden doing her business, he might follow! I'll just keep trying, eventually hell get it!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
That could definitely help too! I'm sure if he smells another dogs urine that could also help him to identify the potty area.

Another thing that might be backtracking a little bit; but what I usually recommend when STARTING to potty train a puppy that eventually will be an outside-only-pottier; is bringing the outside INSIDE. Like, have a shallow tray or bin and either cut out a chunk of your own yard; or actually grow grass in the tray with some dirt. It sounds really tacky but it definitely helps the dog get accustomed to the texture of the outdoors... It's basically taking the Grass Potty Patch idea except you use ACTUAL sod/grass. Eventually you just remove the inside one once the dog is used to going outside.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just go lily and she is almost 9 weeks and never touched grass in her whole life. I took her outside and just waited for her to finally let loose. Then i just praised her over and over again and now she is doing excellent. I think it helps when they have been in puppy pads because you can really tell when they have to go because they are looking for the puppy pads.
Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts