Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got home from work and wanted to take Lion for a walk. I planned to carry Penny since she has only had one shot. I went outside with Lion on his leash, and it was a little chilly so I tucked Penny into my zip up sweatshirt. Well, her hair started to get caught in the zipper so I tried to unzip it..and then she started screaming. I looked down and a huge chunk of hair was caught in my zipper, and she was flailing trying to get free. I ran back upstairs to my apartment and frantically searched for my nail scissors, and then had to carefully take my sweatshirt off over my head with Penny still attached. I held her still and tried to cut the hair free, but every time she moved she screamed in pain. At that point, I was hysterical and luckily my boyfriend walked in the door right then. We tried for a few more minutes to free her, but we didn't want to hurt her and I couldn't stand listening to her in pain. Poor Lion was cowering under the couch.. He was so scared. We wrapped her up in the sweatshirt and rushed off to the after hours/emergency vet where we had to wait 45 minutes for our turn. (There were quite a few people in there putting their animals to sleep :( )
The vets ended up sedating her a little so they could cut apart my sweatshirt and free the zipper by undoing it backwards. They cut away a little chunk of her hair just to make sure her skin wasn't damaged.

Well, she is recovered from her sedation and perfectly fine now, just missing a little chunk of hair on her shoulder.I feel so horrible and I can't stop thinking about her screaming in pain. Lion was so worried when we got back, he kept watch over her sleeping in her bed for hours. Ugh. I am just glad she is okay.

Here are a few photos of her today, totally back to normal and playing in their "toy box".

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw I'm so sorry. I know how scary it is when things like that happen. I'm glad she is ok and all is well now. Those are adorable pics of her in her toy box. :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Oh Gee!!! Now besides the bill, you have no sweatshirt either!! What will our chi's think!! Some chi's are such drama queens, and others very stoic. I had one that ripped her dew claw which bled and bled. I never knew, until I noticed the blood on the carpet. This dog took the bandage that the vet tech put on, and took off the nail during the night, with no noise!! The other chi did the same, and oh my goodness she thought she was dying. She had to go to the vet, have sedation, and have it bandaged for 5 days!!! The first was a mill dog that I rescued at 7 years, and the other one I had since she was 9 weeks! Just like people!!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Poor baby.. I am so sorry she had to go thru this.. The pics are adorable.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
So sad you both had to go through this and also sorry so many animals were being put to sleep :-( Was it due to quality of life and sickness with the dogs being put to sleep or was it just irresponsible owners ? :-(

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
How frightening...thank god your baby is ok. I can only
imagine spine chilling it was to her her scream and cry so much.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So sad you both had to go through this and also sorry so many animals were being put to sleep :-( Was it due to quality of life and sickness with the dogs being put to sleep or was it just irresponsible owners ? :-(
There were a few very sick cats and a dog, and the owners seemed very upset when they left. I felt so horrible for them.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
That's terrible to have to put your pet down I had to put my Brandi and Sissy down. about 3 years ago Brandi and 3 months ago Sissy my Girls where everything to me. Brandi on Left and Sissy on right.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango is my drama "queen." :D My dogs are both pretty chill, but still, Tango's the one who's guaranteed to make a fuss if there's anything to scream about!

I have a gate propped in my hallway for when I have to gate Jazz in the bathroom (if I'm going to be for long enough that I'm not comfortable crating her.) Tango had a fit of the zoomies, and knocked into the gate, which fell down making a racket. It didn't hit Tango, just fell close enough to him that it scared him spitless and he shrieked and tore off down the hall to hide under the blankie in his bed. Oh please! :coolwink:

Same thing with the gate happened to Jazz, who jumped back a bit, obviously startled, but didn't make a sound, then sauntered over to the gate and just sniffed at it a bit.

I guarantee if it were Tango who had his fur caught in the zipper like your dog, he'd have reacted just the same way, full drama, ohmygodi'mgoingtodie!!!!! On the other hand, if it were Jazz, pretty sure I could have dealt with it alone without having to take a trip to the vet.

Dogs are weird. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts