Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all chi peeps!

We will be travelling by plane this Easter week and taking Hershey and Nilla with us. It's a 5-hour flight. What should I prepare for the travel? I normally take Hershey on long car rides but this is the first time by plane.

Do I need to go to my vet to get a health certificate? I really don't want to go to the vet yet because they wanted to give Nilla rabies shots this early and she is only 4 months old.

Appreciate your inputs! :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Oh, I'm definitely staying posted on this thread! I plan on taking my Ote on a plane soon as well. I asked my vet and they said no rabies certificate is needed, just health. But other than that, I have no clue! I keep on wondering, how they do potty wise for that long? Does the airport have a place to take them to the bathroom? LOL "doggie restrooms"

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I would suggest using a pee pad rolled up in the bottom of the carrier, so that IF the pups have to go, they won't sit in their urine. I have flown with my chi's and they held it until I got to the motel!!! 8 hours! I took them out on leashes at the oasis's but they both 'held' it until we got where we were going. Sue

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I traveled with my Pom only within Canada and the vaccination record was
always a must. As for potty breaks, I took her right outside of the airport, then
in the ladies room on a pipi pad(secretly), and during each flight she held it, but
I had a pipi pad placed inside her carrier under her blanket just in case. I had
extra pipi pads with me just in case, treats, chew toys, water and lots of positive
reinforcement for her being a good quiet girl. Every time I was allowed to take
her out of the carrier for a while because she was so good and calm, but I know
that is not always an option for all, so just make sure they are comfy and you keep
them hydrated. Food is not necessary as it may make them sick, a treat or two
will suffice. And most importantly triple check that your carriers are approved for
inside the cabin, they are very picky about that.

ps: make sure they have a good meal at least 2 hours before your flight and take them for a good long walk.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll make a checklist...

1. Health certificate. Might as well be ready.
2. Long walk before going to the airport.
3. Pee pad
4. Chew toys
5. Treats
6. Water (will buy as soon as I cross the security)
7. Ladies room or family room before boarding

I'm sure I won't have a problem with Hershey, she's pretty quiet. I'm worried about Nilla, she's whiny.

BTW, nice siggy LS! :)

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Aww thanks. :oops:
I was inspired by hubby...a wilderness loving redhead, lol.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks! I'll make a checklist...

1. Health certificate. Might as well be ready.
2. Long walk before going to the airport.
3. Pee pad
4. Chew toys
5. Treats
6. Water (will buy as soon as I cross the security)
7. Ladies room or family room before boarding

I'm sure I won't have a problem with Hershey, she's pretty quiet. I'm worried about Nilla, she's whiny.

BTW, nice siggy LS! :)
Make sure you let us know how it goes! I'm kind of nervous about traveling with my girl. I'm gonna use your checklist if you don't mind, LOL! My girl can be whiny after a while if she isn't in my arms. Wish holding them was allowed on the plane, but it's not :( Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I would stop by the vet and pick up some puppy sleeping pills. Just in case. Hopefully you won't have to use them, but if Nilla stresses out to high heavens it just might be better that she sleeps through it, it's just not worth her freaking out especially since she isn't going to be flying often.

Also If I remember correctly planes are only allowed two dogs in the cabin at one time, so check in early as you can because it's a first come first serve and if they can't fly because there is another dog on the plan you will have to wait.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure you let us know how it goes! I'm kind of nervous about traveling with my girl. I'm gonna use your checklist if you don't mind, LOL! My girl can be whiny after a while if she isn't in my arms. Wish holding them was allowed on the plane, but it's not :( Best of luck to you!
Don't mind at all, LOL. I'll post an update of how it went.

I would stop by the vet and pick up some puppy sleeping pills. Just in case. Hopefully you won't have to use them, but if Nilla stresses out to high heavens it just might be better that she sleeps through it, it's just not worth her freaking out especially since she isn't going to be flying often.

Also If I remember correctly planes are only allowed two dogs in the cabin at one time, so check in early as you can because it's a first come first serve and if they can't fly because there is another dog on the plan you will have to wait.
Oh, I didn't know puppy sleeping pills exist!! :p Will ask the vet. Thanks!

I hope there are no other dogs in the flight if they have a 2 dog limit. :-(

·
Registered
801 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa How about you take one and I will take the other ;p I call dibbs on Hersey lol
psh! I was planning on saying Hershey mysteriously disappeared
while here!

LOVE me some Hershey :love7: :love7:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL! You guys are funny!! :-D

mooberry - I'd dogsit Bijoux if you ever pass by Georgia!

Christabelle - would looove to see Mimi and Jax!! When we are in FL, we could probably meet up.

Finn - that was sweet... Hershey misses everyone in her too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.