Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning.. I have a question that I know someone will be able to help me with. What do you do when you go on a short road trip and want to bring your paper pad trained baby with you ? We are going on a short road trip and sis wants to see our Tess. She is paper trained and only thirteen weeks. I really would like to bring her but ??? She does NOT go outside other than short rides. I thought about putting her one paper pad that is upstairs in the Jeep but not sure that would work either. Any suggestions ? Thank You

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I do but it is a two hour trip there and back. We are bringing a tv and will visit a while. It is a small one and she gets blankies to keep warm. In MI and cold right now. I am not sure what to do if she has to potty. Guess that is a down side of pad training :) I plan on training her outside too but not until the Spring. She does pretty good with going on her pads if she has one available. I wondered if one on the floor of the Jeep might work. Might be best if I don't take her today. Just don't like her home alone. She has a big enough kennel for her pad, blankie and food. Just would like to take her. Thank You

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
My girls are paper trained too and we have been on roadtrips that last for 3 days. I would lay the pad out in the back of the SUV and let them use it there, but most of the time I would put them on the lease and let them walk outside on a grassy area and they would ALWAYS go potty outside. It is usually a natural instinct for them. If they have to go bad enough, they will go outside. Plus they needed the exercise to move about. If they do not exercise and walk around they will have a hard time going potty.:(
Since it is a 2 hr. trip, potty pad might work, but try to see if your baby will go outside too...it's much easier:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You so much. You guys are awesome. Can't believe how fast people respond on here. I am not sure what I am going to do yet. Have a couple hours to decide. I highly doubt she will potty outside. She super "prissy" :) I might try it though. Can put the paper pad in the back of the Jeep or on the floor. I do have a plastic casing it fits in which makes it nice for no leaks. Still learning this breed. Like I have mentioned in my other posts I am familiar with the toy poodle. Love this breed too. Again, I thank you so much.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Mine are pad trained, but also outside trained. When we go on trips, I stop every few hours and let them potty outside.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
When Brody was a puppy, he was pad trained. We went to my parents all the time (3 hour drive one way) and he was fine. When we stopped, if he wouldn't go on the grass I just put a pee pad down and he'd go on it. At my mom's, I just put his pee pad down and showed it to him and he would go on it perfectly.

I would definitely take her with you! The drive and experience will be good for her. You want to socialize her to new situations as much as you can as a puppy so she will grow to be a stable adult.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
What about bringing her crate in the jeep you said it fits her pad and blankets etc. Or I agree with the others to stop and tAke her outside as soon as my female baby goes outside when there's snow she pees instantly she can't even hold it 1 second to get to the yard she pees in the drive way as the snow touches her pee per with being so little which makes her pee instantly

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know this is a little late and you needed answers that same day, but for future reference I would definitely take her with you! I am recording artist and I tour around singing and my 2 chis ALWAYS go with me!! I just got done an 8 week tour in SC and I drove it and my chis slept the entire 10 hour drive without pottying!!! When we stopped I did allow them time to sniff around on the ground to pee but they never did. Not 1 accident. Mine are both piddle pad trained only. I won't be training mine to go outside....I much rather prefer mine be piddle pad trained. When I stay in hotels it's so nice not to have to go in and out for potty breaks. Also, in cold weather I don't have to go outside. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico loves a road trip. When he has to go, he may go outside but when he was a baby he always used a piddle pad. Even now I put one down on the beach for him :rolleyes:

A baby chi would much rather go along than stay at home alone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts