Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going camping at an RV park for a week and we are taking Corky with us. He will be 10 weeks by the time we go. We plan on not letting him walk or roam where other dogs are or have been because of his bout with Giardia and Coccidia and he also isn't fully vaccinated yet. He will be with us in the car or 5th wheel and we have sort of a playpen thing for him to be in when we are outside cooking, etc so he can enjoy the sunshine and be with us but can't roam around where dogs have been. (I guess I should mention that he is pretty much potty pad trained in the house/5th wheel so he prefers to go potty inside or in his kennel.)

I am bringing bottled water for him and a diaper bag full of things like Nutrical, water, dishes, dog food, doggy first aid kit, needless syringes, Pedialyte, things like that.

Can anyone give me any tips or suggestions to make sure his first trip is pleasant? I am hoping he doesn't get carsick!

Thanks!

Heather

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It sounds like you've got just about everything a dog could want on the trip. My only suggestion would be to take lots of toys and find the number and address for a local vet or emergency clinic in the area you'll be staying in case you need it (let's hope you don't.) You may also want to take something like an umbrella, in case it gets hot and he needs protection from the sun.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
vet number near the campsite.. that is important.. lots of toys.. and his doggy bed if he has one to make him feel at home..

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds like you've got the necessities covered, but get a late night emergency vet number as well. I took my pup on a 2 week holiday/business trip when he was 12 weeks because I couldn't get out of it and didn't trust anyone to look after him for such a long time. I was really paranoid because he wasn't fully vaccinated so I just made sure not to let him on the ground outside. The first hotel we stayed in wasn't the best so he was only allowed to run around on the king size bed. The condo after that was brand new so I didn't mind him running around on the floor. Neither place allowed pets...shhh :wink:...so i took a playpen with me so there were no potty accidents. I took him absolutely all over town in his incognito carrying bag...restaurants, pubs, shopping, movies, and everything went great! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time and it will give your new pup invaluable social skills.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Heather, We live in a 5thwheel trailer.. Gadget did good when he was a baby.... I just carried him every where I went..

I don't think you need to worry about cold nights... Here in southern Oregon it is hot...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts