Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone traveled with their dog on Amtrak yet? I seen they been expanding the pet program! I have an Amtrak station near me but it's not be friendly yet. But I wanted to see what others think about the program.

It says on the website the pet needs to be unattended in the carrier. Which I always give my Vida water whenever I take her on road trips by car. I might not be able to do that on the train. It says you can ride up to 7 hours with a pet, though I think they do allow for a few 10-15 min breaks so maybe that would be pet friendly breaks to? Though those stations platforms look pretty long to walk all the way to the end for a potty break and a water drink might not be enough time..

Maybe it's better to stick with the rental car, but it be nice to just take a train on vacation with my little Vida. That sure would make my vacation so much... more VACATION like if I can bring her with!

I'm sure I'm a few years out, but I just got really excited when I heard about it today.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We came from living in another country and it was fantastic for our pets travelling. They have the regular trains (pretty similar to the Amtraks in design for the newer ones) and actually they were really pet friendly. To be honest, everywhere was pet friendly (stores, restaurants, travel, etc) and my chi was raised going on trips or waiting at the trains for my husband to get back from work some days with me. They not only allowed it but she always got lots of positive attention for years. We've been back her now over a year-the plane flight was fine but we can't find many places that are pet friendly (though we live on bringfido.com). We don't go out much other then the dog parks and downtown but look for special events that can be happening for pet owners. Recently we had to go to over 10 hotels when our ac broke just to find one that would accept them (a 2 lb and 5 lb chihuahua for crying out loud). When we found one we paid an extra $200 in pet fees and deposits for the two nights it took to fix the ac. Really had so much fun on the trains with Lolli and the family going places-it would be awesome if Amtrak offered excursions allowing small pets. We had to have a passport and chip for her in Europe to go on the trains but they were really very easy and nice giving her permission-never even needed an extra ticket with our yearly ones after asking. Very disappointed now that we can't do those things anymore here (this is Fl-could be better in other states for the pet allowances). I really understand-she is our baby too. If we have to go anywhere away for some hours, she stays with our pet sitter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts