Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on a two day road trip here in a couple of weeks and I have never traveled with a dog before. My previous dogs were all large breeds and couldn't fit in our car on road trips and there were never any "large dog" friendly hotels in the areas we were traveling to so this is all new to me. We will be staying with family, and they are all very excited to have molly come and visit.

I am looking for a good crate to travel/bag to travel with. She is crate trained but we dont use it anymore now that she is 100% potty trained. Does anyone know of any good bags/travel crates?

Also, what else as far as "travel" supplies would you recommend?

Thanks for you help!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I bought one of those pop up fabric crates meijers sells them. I was very lucky found new one at goodwill for $9.00 only. Amberleah loves it. depending on size about $20.00. I wish my husbands family would let me bring her. not dogs lovers even cute one like Amberleah. So the next trip I will be staying home.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I had a 24 inch wire crate, and stuck it in the back of my van. Had two chi's in it, with water, pee pads, and both of their little ferret carriers. Worked like a charm. You can bring it in, or just leave it in the car, and use the little carriers, inside. They hade some chew toys too, but mostly slept. Sue Davis who traveled from Joliet IL to Stowe VT.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would go with an airlined-approved crate plastic - safest in a car accident and easy to clean if she gets urpy. Copies of all her shot records, in case her rabies tag gets lost, is a good idea too. You might want to go on the web in advance and get the names/phone numbers/hours of operation/GoogleMaps for vets in each town you will be staying in. I've never had to use this but it's great peace of mind. Good luck and have a greaat time!

·
Registered
477 Posts
All good advice ... traveling with a dog is like traveling with a baby! I have lookout car seats for mine to ride in while they're in the car. My dogs love them. You need their food, water they're used to drinking (I use distilled water to prevent bladder/kidney stones), collars or harnesses and leashes, ID and rabies tags, toys, treats, beds, blankets, combs, brushes, any medication or supplements, toothbrush and toothpaste if you use those, food and water bowls, a crate if you will need it at your destination, potty pads if you use them, all the things you use for them every day. The phone number and location of a local vet is a good idea, too. Yep, it's just like traveling with a baby!

Jeanette

1 - 7 of 7 Posts