Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to train my 9 week old to toilet in a tray, and so far not really getting anywhere.

I've had him for 5 days now, and at night he is left in a small puppy pen, with bed and bowl on one side, and the tray (with puppy pad) on the other. The rest of the pen is laid with newspaper. So far every morning his poop & wee have pretty much been all over the place (except for the bed).

I'm with him all the time during the day and i put him in the tray whenever he looks like he's going to go, and praise him whenever he does. But he keeps trying to poop over in the corner of my living room. I pick him up once he's in position and put him back on the tray, then praise him when he's finished, but he still heads back to the same spot in the living room the next time.

And he basically pees wherever he feels like it.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried training their chi to toilet in a tray? And whether i'm doing anything wrong! I live in an apartment on the 8th floor, so i don't really have much choice other than to use the tray..

:)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Can you move the tray to the spot where he has 'chosen'? Might make life easier. At this age, puppies 'go' when they get the urge. I wouldn't give him much 'free' time, except when he has just gone/done his business.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd suggest you use "bait" !

Blot up a small amount of it's Urine with a Paper Towel, also, you might roll up a small piece of Fecal Material in it too. Place the "bait" in the Tray, but be sure to clean the other areas of scenting well, where the " bait" is the only source of reference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts