Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year was awful here for fleas and we have decided that this year we want to treat our yard. Bug never really had fleas on him, but our poor cat did :( Hes never outdoors either! So im guessing Bug brought them in and passed them on to the cat or we did. We treated our whole house for 2 months to finally get rid of them all. Now that its starting to warm up again noticed the cat had about 10 fleas on him! Just bathed him today and used a flea comb to get them off. Since we have Cricket and hes so tiny (2.2lbs) I dont want to use any harsh chemicals to treat for fleas. We did find 3 fleas on him today so all three furbabies were bathed in dishsoap and combed. Someone that I work with said we should try Diatomaceous Earth in our yard. The food grade kind. He said it was safe for people and pets and works great at killing fleas. But I had never heard of this stuff or even any idea on where to buy it or apply it. Has anyone ever used this stuff and if so does it work?? Or is there something else that we could get for the yard

Thanks

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
DE works really well. But be aware that it kills ALL insects. Beneficial ones as well as bad ones. It also becomes ineffective after a rain. So it has to be reapplied with some frequency. But it really works according to those who have used it. Be sure and read all the warnings that come with it on the application (wear a mask, etc) but once it's down it is safe.

Here's some info on it ....

Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits

There's also a commercial product that I have heard great results from.

Flea Control Treatment Kills Dog Fleas and Cat Fleas - Fleabusters

I think it's good that you are getting a handle on it now before you get infested!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for those links!! Very helpful! They used to spray weekly around our town but stopped treating for fleas last year. Our vet said they had a ton of complaints about how badly fleas were last year and the city had talked about spraying again starting this year. But with not knowing for sure if they will or not, we plan to just treat our yard. I never did consider the fact that DE would kill even the good insects. Might not be so good with all the flowers we have around. I love seeing the bees and butterflies that come and visit. I will definetly do some more research into it for sure though, I dont want to have any flea issues this year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts