Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bella getting her nebulizer treatment...as a preventative to pneumonia she gets regular normal saline treatments...if I suspect she may have aspirated she then gets albuterol/ns treatment and of course whisked off to the DVM for treatment if necessary...she is quite good about the tx...sometimes she is bothered by the vapour but for the most part she is ok.......( oh dear, I just noticed she has a bit of mashed potato from her puree on her ear :D )

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
oh my goodness. What a sweet baby. She is so brave to put up with all of that and you are taking such good care of her. :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh my goodness. What a sweet baby. She is so brave to put up with all of that and you are taking such good care of her. :)
Thanks Tracy...she really is a little angel about all the treatments, meds and chest physio ....I am forever thankful she is not a mastiff or wolfhound or any breed bigger then she is ...some of the members of my support group do have the giants and they are more of a challenge then Bella could ever think of being....those owners really deal with daily problems...with Me aspiration pneumonia can kill the dog over night...it is shocking how fast it hits them...almost every week we lose a member of the support group...

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this a treatment she will have to continue through out her life time, or will it eventually clear up?

she will require all of the treatments for life...she still is taking her puree by mouth and maintaining her weight ( she did have an exacerbation last month and we almost lost her ) she may need a PEG ( feeding tube ) in the future....she is a happy joyful little girl and as long as she has the strength to carry on, so do I....
It is my mission to show that a ME dog can live a full life...most DVM recommend euthanasia as they ( the DVM's ) are horribly under educated in the care and treatment of ME dogs

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a good girl you have there! And you are wonderful too for being such a dedicated Chi mommy ;) bravo to you both :cheers:
Thanks...but it's Bella that is my hero in this little life situation....
last month she had esophagitis so bad she could not swallow her puree...the ozs were droping off her...you could see her ribs and hip bones protruding and she was so gaunt..just as the decision was being made to have the PEG put in, she started to take mashed potatoes ( at the suggestion of one of the support group moms, it saved her dogs life ) ...and she ate nothing but mashed potatoes for days...they saved her life....she is on a high carb, low protein diet but that was a bit much :p

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You are truely dedicated to her, and it so heart warmer to know how special she is to you. It takes a lot of patience and care but i'm sure she is well worth it all! She is a brave little girl and i wish her only the best!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Bella, what an awesome little girl you are..
I, too, have a nebulizer and do albuterol treatments as needed, so I understand just how wonderfully you are behaving for your mom. Mine is for COPD and asthma.
Kathleen, you, Bella, Zari, and Izzy are my heros! :thumbup:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh, she is a little soldier! It's good to
know there are treatments out there for
dogs with this condition. All the best to you
and your chi baby!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Aww bless her, she's so good about it all (and about putting up with her sisters).

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You know, we ALL say "I'd do ANYTHING for my dog". It is hard for many of us to really even know what that means and what that would take. You really mean it and put that feeling into loving action.
Inspirational. Both her AND you.

·
Registered
801 Posts
she will require all of the treatments for life...she still is taking her puree by mouth and maintaining her weight ( she did have an exacerbation last month and we almost lost her ) she may need a PEG ( feeding tube ) in the future....she is a happy joyful little girl and as long as she has the strength to carry on, so do I....
It is my mission to show that a ME dog can live a full life...most DVM recommend euthanasia as they ( the DVM's ) are horribly under educated in the care and treatment of ME dogs

I think it's so great that you and Bella have a support group.
You have an incredible heart and do so much for your babies.
I love that you are fighting for Bella, her story breaks my heart
and inspires me all at the same time.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Deb...I am sorry to hear of your respiratory difficulties....Bella sends you a big hug..

Thanks for all your kind responses....as I have said I am on a mission to show a ME dog can live a " fairly normal " life...some of the members dogs even do agility ...albeit in a more controlled manner .....If only one dog is diagnosed and someone can say to the owner who will be devastated and overwhelmed." I know of a ME dog that is doing very well and of a site to go to for support " I will feel my words have been effective....
Having said all of that, I also do understand the owner who chooses to euthanize....and if the decision is an educated one, I would support them . The care of a ME dog is very time consuming and the worry and expense can be more then someone may be able to deal with...education is the key word...

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
WOW Nabi I had no idea that Bella had to go through this daily on top of everything else she has had to endure. God Bless you and her. What a wonderful family Bella has. It is obvious how much she is loved and care for. Thank God she has you. XXX OOO to Bella. She is such a sweet and very strong little girl.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What a dear little girl! Do you mind my asking what is wrong that she requires the treatments?

I don't mind at all....I am always available to answer questions about ME

MegaEsophagus is a condition in which the esophagus ( the tube that propels the food into the stomach ) is enlarged..there can be thickening of the valves also...the condition can be acquired which means there is another disease in place such Myasenthia Gravis, Addisons, thyroid problems, PRAA etc or Idiopathic meaning no know reason...ME can also happen after anesthesia, this usually will resolve in time..
no matter what the cause is...they must have pureed food...wear a procollar to help prevent aspiration....and eat in a Bailey chair and remain there for 20-45 minutes post eating to allow gravity to help get the food into the stomach, they can't have fluids...most of us incorporate the daily fluid requirements into the puree or give knox blocs ( gelatin made with broth ) ..frequent small feedings, medications, throat massage, nebulizer treatments, coupage ( chest physio ) are all part of the daily routine...many of the dogs have had aspiration pneumonia and they require 6 week course of 2 antibiotics...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts