Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tico is signed up for an 8-week puppy class, and the oriantation was yesterday. The instructor said to bring three varieties of new meaty style treats, not the typical biscuits the puppies have been getting. And approx. 30 pieces would be needed for the next class!!!

Here's my concerns...

-- 30 treats in an hour! omg! even if they are tiny, that's more than he would eat of his puppy food for dinner!
-- I bought a carton of liver treats (would need to be cut up), and was thinking of cooked bacon pieces and maybe cheese ???
-- Since I've had him, he's only eaten his puppy food, puppy biscuits, puppy rice-based dental bone and adult biscuits when visiting the vet. Are there specific "meaty" treats that are easy on their system? He's not had any adverse reactions to foods yet, but he's also not had many different foods either.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello!

If I were you I wouldn't treat with cheese! My vet told me never to feed them cheese (even though they love it! :( ) because one tiny piece of cheese contains as much and a third of their whole daily fat allowance and its very unhealthy! :shock:

I cut up lots of tiny, and I mean tiny (like half the size of a nail clipping!) dried crispy bacon strips for puppies which are low in fat and have no bad things in. Lola goes crazy for them! :D You should be able to find a very natural treat in your pet stores and if they are big pieces just cut them in tiny tiny crumb size pieces. Lola also only eats dried food and her special treats/biscuits/bones so I will not give her any human food and risk turning her into a fussy human food eater!!

Good Luck with your classes! Let us know how you get on :D

Love Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Have never heard that cheese is bad for your pets. Jasmine loves cheese, and I specifically asked my vet about giving it to her. She said as long as it was in moderation, it was fine. I know others on here also give their chis cheese as well.

Anyone else ever heard it was bad for them?

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
chimom said:
Have never heard that cheese is bad for your pets. Jasmine loves cheese, and I specifically asked my vet about giving it to her. She said as long as it was in moderation, it was fine. I know others on here also give their chis cheese as well.

Anyone else ever heard it was bad for them?
I thought that a moderate amount of cheese would be okay too. My one concern is the sodium content so I do go easy on it. But Lily's reward for letting me brush her teeth is always a piece of cheese.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
When I took Cooper to puppy/manners classes, our trainer suggested the same thing about bringing treats to class. I told the her that I preferred to "treat" Cooper with praise instead of treats and she was fine with that. I did take a few along to keep him interested and for every 10 "good boys", I gave him one small piece of treat ... especially since he'd see the other dogs getting yummies.

Good luck with your class! I hope you get trained to your pup's specifications! :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
Taco likes the meaty type treats, but they are all so big that I can't give him many because it's like a meal. What I do is take them and cut up the whole bag into very small pieces and put them in his treat jar. Then they are always ready for a little snack.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
A hotdog is a great treat too. Cook it and then cut it up in tiny peices.

Also ther are soft treats you can buy at the petstore....you never want to give your chi too many so all you do is break the treats up into tiny peices and give him one piece at a time as a reward...they dont need a lot to be rewarded. I remember only going through 2 to 3 treats a class because I broke them up into tiny peices.

Too much of any food is not good for your chi. A piece of cheese certainly wont harm your chi, neither will one hotdog. Just remember....tiny peaces...you can get about 30 peices out of just one hotdog :wink:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Angel5218 said:
A hotdog is a great treat too. Cook it and then cut it up in tiny peices.

Also ther are soft treats you can buy at the petstore....you never want to give your chi too many so all you do is break the treats up into tiny peices and give him one piece at a time as a reward...they dont need a lot to be rewarded. I remember only going through 2 to 3 treats a class because I broke them up into tiny peices.

Too much of any food is not good for your chi. A piece of cheese certainly wont harm your chi, neither will one hotdog. Just remember....tiny peaces...you can get about 30 peices out of just one hotdog :wink:
Lily would kill for hot dogs. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
275 Posts
i don't think a little bit of cheese is bad for them, in fact many chi breeders use cheese as treats in the ring at shows. obviously a lot would be bad for them as its fatty, but anything containing sugar is much worse as it gives them diabetes i've been told by breeders of ch's.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Jasmine loves, loves, loves hot dogs too, Rach. I think that is the ultimate treat for her! I always keep some in the freezer, and if she has days where she refuses to eat anything, even boiled chicken, I cook one in the microwave. She will always eat that unless she has a very upset tummy.

hmm....now that I think about it, do you suppose she could be "faking" it cause she knows she'll get a hot dog? :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
chimom said:
Jasmine loves, loves, loves hot dogs too, Rach. I think that is the ultimate treat for her! I always keep some in the freezer, and if she has days where she refuses to eat anything, even boiled chicken, I cook one in the microwave. She will always eat that unless she has a very upset tummy.

hmm....now that I think about it, do you suppose she could be "faking" it cause she knows she'll get a hot dog? :lol: :wink:
Sure she's faking it. These chi's are pretty smart lil cookies. :lol:

Unfortunately, I can't allow Lily to have hot dogs. Her tummy is ultra sensitive to anything fatty and she pays too high a price for a moment of pleasure. I remember sitting up with her, rubbing her tummy, several nights last year before we finally figured that out. When she just won't eat anything she gets rice cooked in homemade chicken broth (with all the fat skimmed off the top) or baby food.

There aren't many people I'd make chicken broth for, BTW. :lol:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I give Gadget cheese everyday... I asked my vet about cheese when he was younger and his vet said that cheese is good for them because of the calcium and other good things thaat are in it.. now you can way over do it... I know that Gadget loves it and he would eat it all day if I let him but he doesn't get to eat that much.. he loves it melted on his dinner..

I also give Gadget hotdogs... he loves them... he really loves my neighbors hotdogs when she bbqs them when we go to the bbqs here at the park...

He also likes those vienna sausages.... he actually got those for dinner last night because I had part of a can and I had to use them up... he loves them with cheese on them.. man he was in heaven....

I always cut up the treats we buy at the store... except his chicken jerky and his cet chews...

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
chimom said:
I hear ya'! I rarely cook for myself, but I will cook for Jasmine. But she's not spoiled.....no siree... :lol:
The thought never crossed my mind. Why, has someone accused you of spoiling Jasmine??? :D

Seriously... sometimes people sort of apologize for spoiling their dogs (nobody in this forum :lol: ) and I always say, "What's the point of having a dog if you're not going to spoil it?" To me, anything less than spoiling approaches neglect.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Seriously... sometimes people sort of apologize for spoiling their dogs (nobody in this forum :lol: ) and I always say, "What's the point of having a dog if you're not going to spoil it?" To me, anything less than spoiling approaches neglect.[/quote]

So, are you saying that by baking Cooper a birthday cake, having a big party with all his friends, having doggy activities where prizes where handed out and giving everypup their own personal doggy bags when they left (filled with homemade treats and toys) isn't wrong??

I REALLY need to forward this to my mom. She thinks I'm nuts. While I'm at it, I'll forward it to all my friends that ask me if it was weird giving birth to a dog.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
So, are you saying that by baking Cooper a birthday cake, having a big party with all his friends, having doggy activities where prizes where handed out and giving everypup their own personal doggy bags when they left (filled with homemade treats and toys) isn't wrong??
That's exactly what I'm saying. :D

Okay, here's my take on it. You wouldn't want to spoil a kid as much as we spoil our dogs because a child is expected to grow up and become a productive member of society. Nobody likes a selfish, spoiled human being. Basically, dogs get to remain juveniles their entire life. Who cares if they're spoiled? Makes them happy, makes us happy. :)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
OH MY GOD, I LOVE YOU PEOPLE! All my grown life, people have teased me for the way i treat my chi babies. FINALLY! Someone who understands!
Birthday parties, spoiling, presents! Yayyyyy! Where have you been all my life! :D :D Short, quick story: (well maybe not so short) I have been prone to become emotionally attached to my animals all my life. I take after my daddy, i just love animals. In 1983, i got Kelsey, a choc and white chi whom i loved very much. She was my precious little pet and sooo smart. She died at 4 yrs old of milk fever. That's another story in itself. The day after she died i was in such pain that i knew i had to have another chi to hold and love. It was 2 days before Christmas. I found Tiffany. Tif was 4 wks and 2 days old but i begged the breeder to let me take her home, promising to bring her back if she wouldn't eat. I spoon fed her for the next 8 weeks, puppy milk and rice cereal. (then her hair started to fall out and the vet made me wean her :) ) Anyway Tiffany was my baby, my other daughter,,, and we all spoiled her rotten, my husband included. Whatever Tiffany wanted, Tiffany got. When we went on vacation, i hired someone to come to our house twice a day to feed and play with her. When she died in 1999, i was devastated. I will never get over the loss of my baby. I miss her every day. Most people don't understand that. My sister kept telling me, "she's just a dog." No, she wasn't, she was my other child. You get a dog knowing you are probably going to out-live them. But the joy they bring far outweighs the pain, even tho it hurts so bad when you lose them. So i will continue to indulge my babies with treats and all the comforts of life that i can afford them! :)

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I love that story Jolie's mom.

I was just up at my aunts house a couple weeks ago.. I had gone up there to get my mom and we had lunch with my aunt and a friend of hers.

We are sitting there at the table... My mom, Amanda, Me with gadget in my arms, My aunts friend with her dog next to her on the floor, and my aunt with her dog next to her on the floor.

See, Gadget was afraid of the friends dog.. her head was bigger than he was. and pierrer always sits by my aunt when she eats... just a thing they do...

So we are eating and I give Gadget some meat.. then the friend looks at me and says... you are actually feeding him at the table.. I said yeah... he won't sit on the floor here like he does at home because he is afraid of your dog... well, I think that pi$$ed her off because she said nothing to me the rest of the time she sat at the table..

My aunt thought it was cute that he laid in my arm so nice and calm while I ate and he never offered to get into my plate...

So when I went back up there a couple weeks later to take my mom home. I stayed for a couple days...
We were eating dinner at my aunts house. this time it was just Amanda, mom, me, Gadget and my aunt and Pierrer.. So I pulled the extra chair up next to mine and put gadget on the chair... He still was trying to get to know pierrer and he didn't like being on the floor... So we sat there and ate.. Gadget laid on the chair next to me with his chin nicely laying on my leg... he was happy.. I gave him some chicken and no body said a word...

after dinner we played cards and gadget was sitting on mylap by this time and he kept creeping up into my arms.. pretty soon my aunt was talking to him and he got up and walked over to her across the table.. she never said a word... until he got up out of her arms and walked across the table again and decided to lay down right int he middle of the table of cards. hehehe we all got a big laugh at this... and of course the camera was in the car....

put it showed me that it was ok to spoil our dogs because they are part of the family...

and believe me Amanda is totalyye spoiled too.. she just knows she has responsibilities.. where Gadget's only responsibility is to love his mommy...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts