Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of treats do you give your Chis? I'm having a hard time finding some small enough. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
6-star canned dog food, and also canned pumpkin; in an ice cube tray and frozen.

Chicken feet (disgusting but they're really cheap and they love em.)

Hooves.

Once in a while we'll give them a rawhide; but I take them away once they get small. And only the rawhide chips that are big, and flat. None of the twists or bones.

For the most part I prefer giving them chews that are big; so as long as I know they can't crunch off any pieces they can't choke on it. And always supervised.... hooveds are the only things I leave around since all my dogs have trouble actually breaking it apart (which is what I want), cant fit it all in their mouth to choke; but still keeps them busy for a long time lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just asked this question and got great answers...best was a link to a site:

Dog Chews and Dog Treats – Chews for Dogs – Best Bully Sticks

I'm going to end up purchasing their Himalayan chews, duck feet, and probably some tripe chews, too. Today, I fed Chip bison trachea chews for the first time and he LOVED them.

Training-treat-wise (very small treats), I buy Zuke's Minis and cut them into quarters- it takes a few minutes (probably 15 minutes), but it makes them last forever. I also bought the whitefish and chicken PureBites treats and cut those up, and he loves them. Recently I purchased a box of "Cloud Star Itty Bitty Buddy Biscuits"...they're cute little gingerbread man-shaped treats and they come in a few flavors. I break them apart and they work really well :D

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I also buy chicken and duck feet... My dogs love them. I feed ZiwiPeak treats which are a sort of jerky so you can break them apart.

They also get Bully sticks, and Himalayan chews- it is a sort of hard cheese that takes months for them to wear down!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
We do not feed grains and Hope cannot have processed foods or treats so treats are pretty simple here.

Ziwipeak treats (broken up as missy suggests), Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Kisses (JUST freeze dried, single ingredient treats) and also S&C Carnivore Crunch. We just do chicken in both of those and I break up the pieces. None of these contain added colorings, artificial flavoring, hormones, artificial preservatives, antibiotics, sugar, salt, fillers or grains.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wet Noses Little Stars - Pablo likes the peanut butter and the sweet potato. They're super tiny and they don't break apart in the box so there's almost no waste. The first box lasted a month, and I was probably over-treating when I first got Pabs for bonding.

Here's the Wet Noses website but you can get them at PetCo, too, and avoid the shipping:

Wet Noses - Little Stars Training Treats - Peanut Butter 9oz.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Treats at our house are raw baby carrots, small pieces of cauliflower, apple, raw green beans, maybe all-natural chicken strips now and then. No rawhide. Plain Cheerios just for fun, chicken strips for being a good dog, and little bites of chicken hot dogs or baby food chicken sticks for extra special good dog. These are good, better, and best treats mostly for training. Any treats are small pieces and I always watch them with treats. They like most vegetables, but baby carrots are the favorite. They like strawberries, bananas, pears, but don't get them real often. They like watermelon, too, and that's a great warm weather treat.

Jeanette

·
Registered
126 Posts
For training, Rudy gets Zeke's Minis. They come in three flavours and are teeny teeny tiny. They smell terrible but that's just the product - they are grain free, low cal, and perfect for tiny mouths. He's also chewing on a bully stick as we speak. I also do him a frozen kong everyday - just his hard dog food mixed with soft dog food, put into the kong and frozen over night - freezing it makes him work harder to get it out, plus it's nice and cool for the summer months.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
When Lincoln was a puppy he got Zukes, they are meant for training and stink to high heaven but he loved them. They are cut small too so I'm pretty sure those and some antlers are what Bijoux will be getting.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Treats at our house are raw baby carrots, small pieces of cauliflower, apple, raw green beans, maybe all-natural chicken strips now and then. No rawhide. Plain Cheerios just for fun, chicken strips for being a good dog, and little bites of chicken hot dogs or baby food chicken sticks for extra special good dog. These are good, better, and best treats mostly for training. Any treats are small pieces and I always watch them with treats. They like most vegetables, but baby carrots are the favorite. They like strawberries, bananas, pears, but don't get them real often. They like watermelon, too, and that's a great warm weather treat.

Jeanette
That's so cute they like watermelon, LadyJ. Rudy loooves pineapple!

·
Registered
946 Posts
For training, Rudy gets Zeke's Minis. They come in three flavours and are teeny teeny tiny. They smell terrible but that's just the product - they are grain free, low cal, and perfect for tiny mouths. He's also chewing on a bully stick as we speak. I also do him a frozen kong everyday - just his hard dog food mixed with soft dog food, put into the kong and frozen over night - freezing it makes him work harder to get it out, plus it's nice and cool for the summer months.
I love the Zukes and the bully sticks...have always wanted to try the kong, but always thought they would be super messy (I raw feed and won't use kibble). Do they make a mess?:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Chihuahuas love the plain old Beggin Strips (the ones that look like bacon) But we have to break them up into smaller pieces for them...but you just say the word bacon and they will almost do anything...depending on the mood they are on LOL :)
They also love Pig Ears...my Vet told me NOT to give them rawhide, so we stick to pig ears.

We are going to have to find these Bully sticks, everyone seems to talk about them alot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sparky just absolutely loves pig ears, he first tried one after he stole one off a friends dog. They are disgusting, but they keep him happy for hours. They are quite big and he eats the whole thing. He growls if we try to take it away!!. He also loves rabbit poo - which is disgusting and its so small you cant see it when we fo on walks - he sniffs it out and swoops down on it as we go along, he can now do it at a run!. His system seems OK thankfully. He looks so sweet too! - then off course he loves to kiss me after a this!. Sparky is our first dog always been a cat person, and I am quite shocked that dogs will eat anything.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico loves anything to do with food..lol !! His fav treats are baby carrots, green beans, a bit of apple, bones like a shin bone, dried meats like chicken or venison, tracea, blue berries. From the packet things he likes..chicken littles which are dried chicken but in a small piece--they are nice and portable ( and won't make your pocket smell bad later ;). He also gets Fruitables sometimes and Sam's yams--which are a sweet potato treat.

He never did very well with grains , once in a great while he gets a bit of yogurt.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
My guys get green beans, baby carrots, plain cheerios, apple bits and melon in season. On the rare occasion that I am able to find someone locally who makes the sweet potato chews they can have those too. They love them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts