Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know Trigger is a beagle, not a chi, but I desperately need some support/help.

We bought some bagged bug poison to kill off the infestation of fleas/ticks/etc and we put it in the front yard and brought the bag in, Mom sat it down, and it fell over and spilled into Trigger's crate. He was in it because it had been storming recently. I wasn't there ATM, but mom called me and I ran into the kitchen and she said he had been sniffing it and I pulled him out of his crate. He licked a tiny little piece of it off the floor as I did that, and I am super worried.

Mom says no matter what we can't take him to the vet, and she isn't willing to sell ANYTHING (especially her jewelry :foxes15:) to pay the vet- I only have like $30 and offered her that if he gets sick and she said it won't do anything. He may have eaten a few while he was in his crate.

Is this going to kill him!? Or is it too little to do actual damage? :(

I really hope he's going to be OK. He has eaten plastic, paper, etc before but never anything like this!!

Prayers are truly needed for Trigger right now...

-Savannah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,480 Posts
If you are POSITIVE that he ingested some, then you need to induce vomitting.

I did write something else but deleted it - your mum's attitude makes me feel many different emotions, none of them good!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are POSITIVE that he ingested some, then you need to induce vomitting.

I did write something else but deleted it - your mum's attitude makes me feel many different emotions, none of them good!
I'm not 100% positive, but I told mom and she said we weren't going to make him vomit because "even if he did it was only like one or two little pellets". :foxes15:
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
1,949 Posts
I'm sorry but no matter what, your dog needs to go to the vet if he ingested poison. You may be able to induce vomiting, but by now it is probably already in his system. I know you are young and I am sorry you are stuck in this situation, but there is nothing anybody over the Internet can do for your dog except urge you to at least call a veterinarian.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,776 Posts
I agree with Missy and Dee. Trigger needs to go to a vet if he ingested any of the poison. That is something that you really shouldn't mess with. I don't run to the vet for every little thing, but some things are best treated by a professional.

But, you are a kid. You aren't able to make those kinds of decisions. I don't know how to help you because the one time this happened with my childhood beagle, we rushed him to the vet. I am sorry that your mom seems not to share your perspective when it comes to taking care of the dogs.

Hopefully SOMEONE will have an idea to help you out.


Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
I hate to say it but I agree with the others. =( I feel awful as I know there's only so much you can do in your situation. I realize your mom might be upset but is there a family member or anyone you can explain the situation to, who may react with a more appropriate urgency than your mom is? Best wishes for you and Trigger; poison in any amount is serious stuff. =(
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
It depends what the poison is. Have a look at the packet it came in, note the name of the chemicals and see if there is a helpline to phone. If there is do that first.
I had a pet Mara (very large rodent the size of a small dog) who ate some rat poison. I was in a panic thinking she was going to die, but the helpline people asked me how much she weighed and explained that she would have had to have eaten about a kilo of the poison before it would start to have any effect on her. She didn't need a vet and was totally fine.
So check what it is and see what quantities would cause a problem in a dog of his size first.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,610 Posts
Calling a vet office is free. Call and explain your situation, your dogs weight, how much you think they ate and list off the ingredients of the package. Ask them their advice, and explain your financial situation. Would your mom be open to a payment plan if he does end up needing emergency care? Of course every situation is different, but even ingesting a small amount of some poison is enough to kill a dog and sometimes by the time they're showing visible signs of distress it's too late.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,610 Posts
I was also going to mention that it's handy to have an unopened bottle of hydrogen peroxide (or some people use salt) on hand to induce vomiting, in case one of your dogs ingests something it's not supposed to in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,206 Posts
Savannah, how is Trigger today? Keep us posted.

Your Mom's attitude about the well-being of her animals makes me sad. I'd pay with a kidney if I had to for Gemma. I can tell you are the kind of person who would do the same. I have no doubt you will be a much more responsible pet owner than your Mom when you're an adult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankfully Trigger is showing no sign of illness or not feeling well. Usually when he eats something he isn't supposed to, he throws up. But he hasn't done that either. I kept close watch on him last night and checked on him as soon as I got up this morning (he comes in the house at night).

I talked to mom about at least getting pet insurance and she said "pet insurance nowadays only covers one thing like if they get sick, normal checkups, or something like that but not all" and I tried to explain there were some that covered more than that (I think VPI does? My vet recs that insurance) and she said "But they are too expensive"

Thank you everyone for your support, I will continue to keep y'all posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is the bug poison he ate by the way. If the link doesn't work it's Bayer Advanced Complete Insect Killer.

He is roughly 30lbs and he only ate one or two, maybe three, little pellets (which by the way are a little bigger than a grain of sand, quite a bit smaller than a little rock or pebble) so I'm not really sure if it would actually hurt him...

Shop BAYER ADVANCED 20 Lbs. Complete Insect Killer at Lowes.com
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
0 Posts
I'm thrilled to hear he's ok :)

Pet insurance is great for big claims, like if they need surgery or whatever - it doesn't usually cover spaying/neutering, teeth problems, vaccination costs - in fact most of the costs we have! It is brilliant though for the big cost items - surgery etc.

I have seen some people here say that they put away the cost of insurance every month - say $50 or whatever it might be - they save that amount and it builds up to a nest egg to be used for surgery or whatever if it's needed. If it's not needed they have a nice nest egg :)

I have split my odds - I have one dog covered and the other two aren't.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
1,949 Posts
Pet insurance is great, but you do have to pay the bill up front. The insurance company then reimburses you after you have made a claim, which can take a few weeks. I wouldn't consider it a substitute for having an emergency fund, but it can be a good thing to have. I am glad Trigger is okay!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
I have been using CareCredit to extend payments. You can use it for veterinary and medical expenses. But if you don't pay on time (they have different payment plans), you WILL pay interest. I am really good with credit cards so I use Care Credit just to extend the payments out further.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
Did you call the drug company or the vet to check what effect those chemicals (imidacloprid and beta-cyfluthrin) have on dogs when ingested in small amounts? I'm glad he is ok for now, but I would want to know there will be no long term damage if it were my dog.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
I just googled those active ingredients and it looks as though they won't cause any damage in such small quantities. So that is good news.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you call the drug company or the vet to check what effect those chemicals (imidacloprid and beta-cyfluthrin) have on dogs when ingested in small amounts? I'm glad he is ok for now, but I would want to know there will be no long term damage if it were my dog.
I just googled those active ingredients and it looks as though they won't cause any damage in such small quantities. So that is good news.
Sadly mom wouldn't call because he was 'fine'.

But it IS good news it shouldn't do any damage! :)
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top