Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well when Trig was a baby he was always scooting so I expressed his anal glands and the problem stopped. Since then I've always just done it at bath time, which is about once a month, because according to our vet, usually once you start, they continue to need to have it done . It really doesn't bug me, he's in the bath, it washes away immediately, then I soap and shampoo him up :) Anyway...like, a LOT comes out each time I do it. It is clear/healthy fluid from what I understand, but I swear probably like a teaspoon comes out...? Does anyone know if that's normal? He is such a little brat too hahaha he gets this super pleased look on his face after I've done it, like it was a huuuuge relief lol. No scooting whatsoever since we started doing it at bath time, either, so that's good.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
The only time I've had to do daisys is when she has a bad stomach

Kristi if he's having enough bone in his raw meals they should do it for him they have to really push but not strain to get their poo out so should inturn empty hus glands!!!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I just did Ninja's yesterday! he was licking his butt non stop his although did not have that much come out but I am sad that I just read in your post once you start you have to continue! I'm not grossed out by it at all but it's not my favorite pass time activity lol

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yeah, the only time I EVER have had to do Matilda's is when she had diarrhea from too much fish a few weeks ago. She was pretty stinky & was being clingy. She was so happy after I did it she did a little spin! hehe I got quite a bit out of her that day.

I'm quite sure Heather (Zoeysmom) said the "once you start you have to always do it" isn't true. I won't plan on doing Matilda again unless she needs it...

I would think having enough bone in his diet should help but I suppose more dogs are prone to needing emptying than others. I'm assuming he has nice hard stools since he's on such great foods so maybe it's just a Trigger thing?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was going to clean my pups anal glands every bath time to but when I was in with Kira for her last booster shot I asked my vet about it and she told me I should only express them when the pups are bothered otherwise it would cause scar tissue and then it would have to be done regularly.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trigger has biiig firm poos from plenty of bone/fiber. He just has always been on that has problems with it. So I started, and he seems to need it done about once a month or he scoots again. It just doesn't seem quite normal but since I've been able to deal w/ it without too much trouble I guess I've just dealt with it. But man, a TON comes out. He really isn't having even remotely soft poos, so I think it might just be he has an issue w/ it?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Pips need doing very occasionally and when they do, there is LOADS. Only had to do it twice since I got her, but its still gross! First time I asked the vet about it he just said she had large glands for the size of her, hence a lot of stuff coming out of them!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Sounds like Trigger may have an issue with it, yes, considering his poos are firm and his diet is good.

I'm quite sure Heather (Zoeysmom) said the "once you start you have to always do it" isn't true.
I agree that isn't true. I know first hand with Roo that was not the case. When I first got her and she was on kibble, she had to have them done monthly or they got really bad/stinky. I then put her on THK, and she hasn't needed to have them expressed since and it's been months now. So I don't believe once you start, you always have to. Has not been true in Roo's case at all.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Darla has only had it done once by the vet and once by me when she was scooting.
Dillon had soft poos at first, and so the vet did it for him cause he was having problems pooing at the time, as in he would go nuts at the softness, bless.
But he hasnt needed it again since, and his poos are good and firm now.

Have never had to do Daisy's since she has been with me.
They are all kibble fed. lol
I think it must be different for all dogs really.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Darla has only had it done once by the vet and once by me when she was scooting.
Dillon had soft poos at first, and so the vet did it for him cause he was having problems pooing at the time, as in he would go nuts at the softness, bless.
But he hasnt needed it again since, and his poos are good and firm now.

Have never had to do Daisy's since she has been with me.
They are all kibble fed. lol
I think it must be different for all dogs really.
Whoops, I just realized the way I wrote my post it seems to infer that Roo had problems due to the kibble, but I didn't mean it that way. I just meant the switch to THK has helped her anal gland issues, it might have a higher fiber content than the particular kibble I was feeding previously, I'm not sure. I agree, it really just depends on the dog. :) Some seem more prone to problems with this than others.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Aww no Paula, i didnt think you were being funny about kibble at all, no worries.
I just stated what i feed to show the differences, and cause others spoke of what they feed too.
I know you would never be nasty. xx

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've had Gretels expressed once at the salon by someone I trust but I know if it's not done right it can really hurt them so I never do it but i've only had hers done once, I have noticed before she gets stinky from time to time but I didn't think about it but since I had it expressed a few months back, July maybe, I haven't noticed any smell and absolutely rock hard poo since we switched to THK so lets hope it regulates itself!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aww no Paula, i didnt think you were being funny about kibble at all, no worries.
I just stated what i feed to show the differences, and cause others spoke of what they feed too.
I know you would never be nasty. xx
Ah ok, I'm glad you knew! I thought you knew I didn't mean it that way, but just felt the need to make sure people knew I wasn't knocking kibble. :) xx

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I haven't had to do Midgie since she's been eating a high fiber food. I never had to do her much before she started eating fiber-maybe twice a year.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I believe my guy has annual sac probs. as well.
I need to educate myself on how to do it properly
and then get the nerve to do it. lol...
and Yes I have also heard that if owner starts doing it, it will weaken
the annual muscles and therefore will not be able to express there
glands on there own as they should.
But when one has annual probs. I guess we have no choice.
Be blessed.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I believe my guy has annual sac probs. as well.
I need to educate myself on how to do it properly
and then get the nerve to do it. lol...
and Yes I have also heard that if owner starts doing it, it will weaken
the annual muscles and therefore will not be able to express there
glands on there own as they should.
But when one has annual probs. I guess we have no choice.
Be blessed.
I learned from youtube lol YES there are tons of videos on it lmao

I have to do Ninja's again right now!

how much fibre should be in their food? Ninja is on Evo red meat small bites I will have to check the fibre content

ETA: the evo is only 2.5% fibre I just got a bag of blue buffalo wilderness grain free salmon and the fibre is 6.5% maybe I should start mixing it in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I looked into a few vids. on youtube about expressing the annual sacs.
I gave it a go, but Nothing came out. I was so nervous, scared to pieces
I would hurt him, so may not have pressed firmly enough.:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts