Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an easy way of doing this?
Ozzys nails are getting long so i bought a pair of the guillotine style nail clippers.
The front paws are fine i managed to do them no problem...but the back paws!
how on earth do i manage that, without having someone else hold him?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Lie him on his back and gently stroke his toes, if he moves say "Agh" or "No", but dont take your hand off his paw, when he stops wriggling take your hand away.

Keep repeating this until he is happy to lie there then progress to holding his paw as though your gonna cut them but don't cut at this stage.

Again once you can handle his paw as you wish then try cutting the claws, by this stage he should be okay about it.

It should only take a few days at most if you release and reward at the right time.

I have never had a problem with Jake as I taught him to sit quiet after he'd only been with me a few days

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks deme i'll give that a go.
He sits quiet enough, and like i say,fine with front paws while hes sitting on my lap. its just the awkward-ness of him wanting to play with the clippers i think! =)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Not easy if your chi is not a back layer. Willow is the only one that lays on her back in comfort. Ivy and Fern aren't as comfortable, so I have to have my kids help me with them. Maybe try wrapping up in a blankie might help.

Lori

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bruiser hates it too. Sometimes I luck out and can do it by myself, but alot of times I have to get someone to help hold him (and use a towel to blindfold him). He hears the tiniest squeek coming out of the clippers and he goes off!! I have seen sides of him I never though existed while trying to cut his nails!
Elle on the other hand is fine with it. She doesn't even squirm! Her nails are so tiny my Mom can use regular (people) toe nail clippers and snip, snip, snip in no time!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
success!
I managed to do it last night, recruited my boyfriend to help, which turned out to be useless cause he "doesn't settle" when he holds him apparently and he didn't want to use the clippers either...so sat and watched!

but i bundled him up in a blanket and slightly layed him back, he was chewing the blanket so that was a distraction! He doesn't mind me touching his wee paws either so i just hope that continues!

:hello1:

·
Registered
105 Posts
i like claw cutting even though im so nervous about cutting to far. i have to get some one to hold her though because she wiggles. if your struggling get some one to hold for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts