Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a year/half old pup. He wanted to lay on me all the time and when I went to pet him he'd lay flat on his back and spread his legs extra wide everytime! He licked his privates constantly hardly eatin anything but always lays placing his privates on me. I have minimized his laying on me to almost nought. It was too uncomfortable. He doesn't play like normal pups either. Turns out, previous owner mated him twice already :(! once at 8mos. again @ 14 mos. I was LIVID to find out. I need suggestions on how to turn his attention from his privates and being mated to him being a normal healthy puppy. Previous owner has two girls and only gave him away thinking I as a vulnerable adult wuld give him back wen the girls were in heat, I refuse to put those baby girls barely a year old through such a horror and won't with every ounce of my being give him back for her to make $50 a pup are her words. I am no puppy pimp! My baby is already damaged and those girls wuld need a c-section of $2000 just to have even 2 pups! But I can only help mine for now and desperately need to know if my baby can be saved from thinking everything relates to his groin? How else can I help him? Already tried rolling him around on the floor with stuffed animal toys but he just wants to lay on his back an spread his legs. HELP US PLEASE for "Bubba" 's sake. (his old name was romeo but i figured two syllable name better and he looks like a bubba.)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Hi welcome!
Umm I dont actually know what to say.... I have not experienced this problem you are having.
Maybe another member can help you, hope you get it sorted out.
Do you have any pics of your little guy??

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to pictures as well. I agree with the desexing of him. Are you sure him laying on his back is sexual? Or it is a sign of submitting to you? Also, if he lays in your lap on his stomach his privates are most likely going to touch you. Is he humping you or trying to? When he keeps licking himself gently nudge him and tell him no and try to get his attention off of his "junk" by perhaps throwing a ball or playing with him.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Lying on his back with his legs open does sound more submissive to me, my two often sleep this way..

If he just cleans himself I wouldn't worry but if he is humping everything in sight and marking I would consider neutering, especially if you have no intentions of breeding in the future or showing.

Deme x

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear about your little guy, I agree getting him fixed sounds like a good idea. Wish I could help more but I only have two girlies.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
First of all...a dog mating doesn't "ruin" them. All of my boys have "mated" (one was accidental **and a pg didn't take thank goodness** and 2 were neutered boys **yes it can & does happen!**) and they're still the same sweet boys. :) So them mating doesn't make a difference in personality.

It sounds to me like you are unfamiliar with Chi's...and dogs in general. When you approach a dog & it rolls on it's back it is showing it's submission to you. They are viewing YOU as pack leader & are telling you they are not a threat. Sometimes they will come in your lap & if you stat to pat them they will roll on their back. It can mean the same thing or it can mean "rub my belly mum!". ;) Maya does that ALL the time...

Unwanted signs of an unneutered dog of ANY breed are like what has been mentioned. Marking (in & out of the house), humping of other dogs or even people, toys, etc & sometimes aggression because of the access testosterone in their systems. Neutering can dramatically reduce these things! Sometimes with older dogs it takes a LOT of work (with neutering) to get rid of the marking because by then it's become more habit. But sometimes it stops it all together. The humping & aggression (and sometimes marking) should settle within a couple months of the neuter as it takes that long for the hormones to completely get out of their systems.

Your dog doesn't sound like he's being sexual with you though...it just sounds like he respects you & wants your attention/love. :) I'd book him for a neuter & he'll become even more loving to you. But please don't not allow him in your lap if he's showing his submission or wanting a belly rub. Poor boy is just acting like a Chi! :)

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
First of all...a dog mating doesn't "ruin" them. All of my boys have "mated" (one was accidental **and a pg didn't take thank goodness** and 2 were neutered boys **yes it can & does happen!**) and they're still the same sweet boys. :) So them mating doesn't make a difference in personality.

It sounds to me like you are unfamiliar with Chi's...and dogs in general. When you approach a dog & it rolls on it's back it is showing it's submission to you. They are viewing YOU as pack leader & are telling you they are not a threat. Sometimes they will come in your lap & if you stat to pat them they will roll on their back. It can mean the same thing or it can mean "rub my belly mum!". ;) Maya does that ALL the time...

Unwanted signs of an unneutered dog of ANY breed are like what has been mentioned. Marking (in & out of the house), humping of other dogs or even people, toys, etc & sometimes aggression because of the access testosterone in their systems. Neutering can dramatically reduce these things! Sometimes with older dogs it takes a LOT of work (with neutering) to get rid of the marking because by then it's become more habit. But sometimes it stops it all together. The humping & aggression (and sometimes marking) should settle within a couple months of the neuter as it takes that long for the hormones to completely get out of their systems.

Your dog doesn't sound like he's being sexual with you though...it just sounds like he respects you & wants your attention/love. :) I'd book him for a neuter & he'll become even more loving to you. But please don't not allow him in your lap if he's showing his submission or wanting a belly rub. Poor boy is just acting like a Chi! :)
Much better said then I did. And so true. He sounds like a sweet boy.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with Heather (MChis).

Just make an appointment to have him neutered. When he goes to lick himself, distract him with a toy or a brisk walk outside. Once he is neutered, his hormones will calm down. It's not a big deal.

He sounds like a sweet boy, just misunderstood!

·
Registered
265 Posts
In agreement with some post here,
sounds exactly like being "submissive".
Nothing to do with mating.
If he is always licking/paying too much attention
/etc.. to his groin area/private part it is a poss. that
he could have a bladder/kidney infection or etc...
If you can swing it, a vet check up would be a good idea.
If he is in good health, getting him neautered would
be a great and will not affect his persona, will still be
the same sweet/loving lil' guy he is now.
Don't give up on him just because you may be mis
understanding some things about him, educate your
self instead, he deserves that from you.
Educate yourself on him/Chi's; Love him, and I'm
sure before you know it, he will be the pet you desired
to have in the beginning. They are a Fantastic breed
to have the pleasure of owning and all heart.
God bless.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
If he is constantly licking himself, that isn't right, he could have an infection down there or something. I've had several intact dogs before, several that have been mated and none have ever acted like that. I would say a Vet visit is in order. Neutering would be a GREAT benefit to him and cut back on some of the attitude. Also rolling over on their back isn't a sign they 'want to be mated' my Sebastian did that all the time because he was cute & it's a submissive thing as well. I would strongly suggest a vet visit to check for blanaoposthitis (infeciton in the prepuce), protatitis or something else like that.

Here is my Sebastian being cute on his back, he was intact at this time, and this behavior was/IS not a sexual behavior.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I agree with mchis poor pup he's being submissive and tbh if his orevious owner bred her dogs shed prob make more than $50

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
If he is constantly licking himself, that isn't right, he could have an infection down there or something. I've had several intact dogs before, several that have been mated and none have ever acted like that. I would say a Vet visit is in order. Neutering would be a GREAT benefit to him and cut back on some of the attitude. Also rolling over on their back isn't a sign they 'want to be mated' my Sebastian did that all the time because he was cute & it's a submissive thing as well. I would strongly suggest a vet visit to check for blanaoposthitis (infeciton in the prepuce), protatitis or something else like that.

Here is my Sebastian being cute on his back, he was intact at this time, and this behavior was/IS not a sexual behavior.
Awe Sebastian looked so cute there. He was such a sweet baby!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Yeah definitely get him neutered; I'm kind of bewildered how that option didn't already come up by this point in his age? Surely if he's been seen by a vet at some point in his life they would have recommended it..? =/ I kept reading thinking I was going to find a reason or contract that he can't be neutered... it sounds like that must be the case? =S

If not, yeah, get him fixed. Gatsby was a humping maniac before we got his ballsies removed and now sex is the last thing on his mind... he's actually a happy well rounded little dog now lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks to all who replied. And to ms. Chi it is advised that mating shuld wait for a responsible owner till they're well over two human years and three is best for both sexes and to have the healthiest pups. If it was normal submission I wuldn'g be concerned and rollin him around with his toys is playing with him but he is not interested. He only wants to grind privates on human. I knew I wuld get sumone insensitive to respond when he first came to me his testicles were enlarged per a vet I was hoping chi breed experts wuld offer tips on successful games they play with their chi so Bubba and I may try them not neutering or common knowledge things like submission. If it was normal the vet wuldn't have suggested I look to other chi owner to acquire more games to play with Bubba. And mating too early does HURT your puppy just as teenage pregnancies hurt young girls. Thanks but no thanks this site is not for me.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Wow, I'm stunned at your reply Sarah, all I have read is helpful advice yet you seem annoyed by it all even though you started your post by saying thanks.

You say common knowledge of neutring and submission yet you seemed oblivious from your posts that Bubba was simply submissing to you.

The advice on here can only be given from what you say as without a video clip no one can actually fully imagine what Bubba is doing and to what extent.

It is sad that you have been rash in your thinking as I myself have gained a lot of good and useful advice from many people on here who have had Chi's for many many years and are experienced in looking after and caring for Chihuahua's.

Best of luck in sorting your dilemma's with Bubba

Deme

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh man I swear you better be a troll!!!

If you new anything about breeding you would know breeding a bitch on her second season is preferred so her bones are softer therefore making it easier to whelp

And seriously teenage pregnancy hurts young girls??? You really are unbelievably naieve I was a teenage mother and my body is not damaged, hurt or whatever other crap you want to come out with!!!! It's prob in better Condition than most :roll: jeez you seriously need to open your mind up we are living in the 21st century!!!!!

I suggest you do some research in dogs and dog ownership!!!!

I hope you are a troll... If not well um yeah

1 - 20 of 45 Posts