Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miya has been doing very well with her cornish hens. This past week, she's been eating only ZP because of her recovering from the spay, but today I fed her her hens along with ZP. I want to introduce her to beef next, is that right? I bought some ground beef and plan on making some little meatballs tomorrow to go with her meal that will be majority chicken. ok?

When I do introduce organs? What organs are best to lead with?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Beef is fine as your next protein. Since you already have the ground beef, you can go ahead and use it, but maybe get a roast or some other cut next time. Ground beef has a lot of surface area, so it can carry a higher bacterial load. NOT a problem for the average dog, but just mentioning it as a caution. Ground meats also don't give any dental benefits where a chunk of meat gives some good tooth scrubbing action as they eat.

Start off with just a tiny bit of the ground beef along with the familiar hen part. Just one bite at first, then go to two bites and so on.

After she's acclimated to beef, then you can do pork. Same thing, just one bite at a time.

After she's had chicken, beef, and pork and tolerating all of them well, you can add in organs. Liver is one kidney and then another choice would be kidney. You will always use liver and then one other organ. You can rotate through pancreas, thymus, spleen, brain, etc. Kidney is easiest to find though. When you start organs, you will start with just a fingernail sized sliver. Gradually increase.

If you are feeding ZP along with raw, it's really not necessary to even add organs. They are only 10% of the diet and ZP will fill in the blanks just fine.

If you want, you can add in a little bit of fish oil for the omega 3's.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tracy. I have ground beef and also beef ribs so I can try the beef ribs instead of the ground, and then just use the ground to make burgers lol?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thanks Tracy. I have ground beef and also beef ribs so I can try the beef ribs instead of the ground, and then just use the ground to make burgers lol?
:) Sounds good!

Seriously, you can use the burger if you want. There are a lot of people who grind their raw into burger and their dogs are fine. I just prefer whole pieces, but to each his own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts