Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I feed a partial raw diet currently. I feed a mix of The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw mixed with raw meat. So far all I've ever given my dogs in raw meat has either not included bone or included bone that was cut up.

So I've decided to start feeding the dogs meat with bone in it without cutting it up for them so they have to work at it and get the teeth cleaning benefit. Glory and Dakota seem to get it but Faith just doesn't. Faith has a really tiny mouth and very tiny teeth (noticeably smaller than even Glory's mouth and teeth). I'm trying my hardest to get Faith to eat a raw chicken wing with the bone in but she refuses to even try chewing it with bone in and without being mixed in with her Honest Kitchen food. *sigh* I don't intend to stop feeding the Honest Kitchen because I want to keep them on an HK/raw mix diet but I think I might have to withhold HK and any other treats for a while to get her to eat the raw chicken wing with bone. I hate to do that but I really want her to start eating meats with bone in for some extra dental cleaning action every now and then.

Thoughts? I hate to do the tough love thing (if that's even what this would be considered) but I will withhold all other food if that would be the smart thing to do to get her to eat bone in meat every now and then.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think tough love might be the way to go. I was lucky in that mine have always done very well w/ a raw bone...once mine get going they are all about it.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Hmmm... maybe try her on a bone that has more marrow in it, like a leg. A cornish hen leg would be just the right size. Lola is tiny, only 3-3.5 pounds. She has a tiny mouth too, but she crunches those bones faster than the others. I would some how break the bone so the marrow is exposed and see if maybe that will get her to work on the bone. Maybe???

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I think tough love too both mine started raw 12 weeks and under and have managed to get through rmb no problem!! Lotus is 16 weeks and eating lamb ribs as I type!! I wouldn't giver her her thk till she eats it

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I agree with the others - tough love is going to be the way to get her to give her all at the bone. I'm sure once she gets the hang of it it won't be a problem but until then I'd hold out the HK. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
You are probably going to have to go the tough love route, hard as it may be. Cornish Hen bones might be easier for her to eat.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll withhold all Honest Kitchen and treats to see if that gets her to eat the chicken wing, if she finally decides to take a crack at it and has difficulty then I'll see about trying a cornish hen leg or something. Faith is a stubborn one so I anticipate this to be a battle of wills, hers versus mine. Fingers crossed she tries to eat at least a little bit tonight, it's so hard watching them go hungry and she really is the ultimate drama queen.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with the others. Good advice guys!

You could also branch out into other bones. Rib bones, cornish hen bones, even marrow bones (teeth breakers for vigorous chewers - be careful and forewarned) can be good for tentative chewers.

I know they aren't bones, but I think bully sticks do a good job as well. I hold it for Brody in my fist and he chews SO HARD on his back teeth when he gnaws one. He really goes after it if I hold it and it just scrubs and scrubs on those back molars. My hand gets tired holding it because he chews with such force. That is what works well on those teeth.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I hold both my bullies too they struggle opening their mouths that wide and just do the front if not... Also stops the growling at each other

Val let us know how it goes

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've tried holding it and she still won't touch it. I offered it last night and again this morning but she will only sniff it and walk away.

I've given her bully sticks in the past and she loves them but they give her diarrhea so those are not an option for her. I do give Dakota and Glory bully sticks though. I might have to look into some other kind of chew that makes her work and will help her teeth.

My husband cut the chicken wing into a slightly smaller piece for her last night in case it was the size of it that was too daunting for her. She still wouldn't touch it even when he tried to hold it for her (she's a daddy's girl for sure). He thinks I should try mixing a small amount of Honest Kitchen and coating the chicken wing with it to maybe help her get the idea. I can see his point but I'm afraid if I do that she'll just eat the Honest Kitchen and keep holding out. I don't know if I should at least try his idea... :confused:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think if you coated it w/ the tiniest bit it might work. You also might turn a skillet on super hot and slap it down for 3-5 seconds on either side to "sear" the outside being careful to in no way cook the bone or get heat through it. Sometimes dogs just don't "get" it til they smell it a bit, and chicken doesn't smell.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I found htat when I first even introduced raw chicken to Jake he sniffed it, licked it, sniffed it some more then walked away from it prefering to go hungry but he followed me with pityful eyes all day.

Then I offered raw chicken again for his second meal and again he sniffed and licked and walked away and by now I knew he was hungry.

Finally the next day he decided to have a taste and wow!! he loved it.. after teh intro period I introduced chicken breast ont he bone and he loved it, so much so he sstarted getting aggressive and showing his teeth.

Unfortunately after a few weeks after every meal he would be sick so I decided to take him off raw.

But yes tough love, don't eat it, pick it up and offer it later ..

It is harder for us as we just want our babies to eat and be healthy.

Deme x

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I like the searing idea too. Now I'm undecided what to do tonight...just try regular raw and stick to my guns, coat it with Honest Kitchen, or slightly sear the outside. I do think it's harder for us, she's looks so sad and she's already a very dainty little thing as it is. *sigh* We'll see how it goes once I decide what to do for her tonight. Maybe I'll try raw at normal feeding time and if she doesn't touch it then wait a few hours and try one of the other options (a little HK or slightly seared).

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I say slightly sear it. Be very careful to not cook the bone in any way, thus why...super hot skillet, slap, flip, you're done...sometimes dogs just don't know what to do with it at first.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I think with searing it even the slightest bit will really help make it smell appetizing. She LOVES plain boiled chicken without the bone in, she loves plain scrambled egg, she just loves chicken when it's cooked. lol Maybe that will be the trick to getting her at least started on it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
How's it going? If searing alone doesn't work, try rubbing a little parmesean or other 'stinky' cheese on it as well.

Lyra, my little 2.5lb munchkin really likes quail and the bones are super thin. You could give quail a go, though it sounds more like she's not sure what to do with raw rather than that the bones you're currently offering are too much.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts