Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend likes to play with Cha-Cha when he's home. Cha is 5 months. I have many, MANY toys for Cha-Cha to play with. My boyfriend likes to play tug-a-war with her and have her make that cute little taz growl. I'm not sure this is healthy for Cha. I know that she knows that it is play time when he plays with her like that. She is still submissive when ever I gently put her on her back. What do you think... should I have him stop playing with her in this fashion? Will she have some sort of bad habit in the future. I just want to steer her in the right direction while she's a pup.
Thank you for your responce :wave:

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I think its great that your boyfriend plays with your chi. I dont think this will hurt her in any way. Tader knows play time from cuddle time.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i heard tuggie tug (as we call it) is a no no.... but i've played with all my dog's like this. sometimes it is the only way they like to play. i think it's a dominance thing. i'm not sure. but i have always taught them to give up whatever is in their mouths when i say leave it or drop it. i'd love to hear more about this though,.,...

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
If you are going to play Tug of War, you should always win ... never let the dog win. Also, don't let it become too aggressive. A little playful growling is OK but if there is any snapping or snarling, you should stop immediately. Since she is so submissive, that shouldn't be an issue.

It's nice that your boyfriend plays with her. Tell him to have fun! :wave:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Charlie likes playing tug-o-war too, if he won't "drop it" when I say I take that toy away for a while but he usually doesn't have problems stopping. The behavior books I've read say it's a no-no but if you do play it always win. So I try do do that. I think you know your puppy and will know when to stop. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts