Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Tula about 2 mos ago from the SPCA. She is now about 9 mos old. When I saw her in the cage, I knew I had to have her. She was skinny, full of fleas and very shy. I brought her home and gave her a bath and quickly noticed she has a fear of hands over her head. I can't go to pick her up like the other chis, she will run off. If I reach for her in any way she is gone. But I can pet her all over when we cuddly in bed or when she jumps up on the couch next to me. My guess is she was either hit, scared or was not socialized. I have another chi, Carlos, a chix, Sappo and a pit bull Bruja. All are rescues. She gets along great with all of them, is very sweet and funny. Just recently I have been able to touch her if she is sitting at my feet or if she trys to jump up on me. She is now healthy and a whopping 3lbs. I adore Tula and want to be able to pick her up any time I need to. I know it will take time but has anyone here had this problem?
Thank you
Cyn,
Tula
Carlos Santiago De La Cruz
Sappo
Bruja

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It looks like this is a very slow group or only a few respond to their friends. thanks for letting me in, but I'll be leaving now.

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
i hope you come back :) i think no one responded because you posted this in the Chihuahua Names forum and i'm not sure how many actually look in that forum.

i've moved your thread to chi questions :wave:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Boop doesn't like to be picked up, and I've had her since she was weaned, so I know she hasn't been mistreated. She also dodges a hand reaching down over her head.

When she wants to cuddle I reach under her chin with only one hand and pet her there, then use both hands to scratch behind her ears, then both hands around but not touching her body with a pause so she can skip away if she doesn't want up, and then I actually grasp her and lift her to my lap. I'm usually sitting during this in my computer chair.

If I need to pick her up for some other reason - put on a sweater, harness, etc. - she'll dance around for a bit but then stops and lets me lift her, thank goodness because she's too fast to catch her. I'm usually standing and speaking firmly, not angrily, to her at the time. Sometimes she'll jump up on the couch beside me. She's not fond of either sweaters or harnesses, but loves to go outside, so it's an internal conflict for her.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Rainbow is the same way. We got her when she was 3 months old and she was with her mother up to that date. I don't think she was abused, I just think that it is her way. She is friendly enough otherwise. I've heard that a hand ver their head is very intimating to them, and this is not unusual.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That's true, many dogs don't like hands reaching over their heads, my chi included. I taught Beau the word "Up," and he will stand on his hind legs to let me pick him up. Maybe you can try using treats to get her used to you approaching her and reaching for her, and then teach her a command for being picked up so that you can warn her in advance that you are about to pick her up (rather than just grabbing for her, which might startle or intimidate her). Hope this helps. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I never go to chihuahua names, and rarely come here for that matter. Hopefully you'll come back.

·
Registered
533 Posts
toby sometimes will dodge your hand if you are standing and lean down to pet him. It is almost like someone has hit him, but we have had him since he was 10 weeks old so I know that is not the case. I think some chi's and other dogs for that matter can just be jumpy at things coming at them. This is a great site I hope you come back.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Oh, I hope you come back. I just read this post...it's true, sometimes they aren't obvious.

I have read that the key is to pet under their chins. My aussie was rescued and had probably been abused (at the very least, neglected)...he was only 10 weeks old when we got him, and now we have had him 6 years...he STILL flinches when I go to pet him. Otherwise, he is so loving...jumps in my lap like a big ol baby, comes happily when we call, etc etc...

It's so hard to know with rescues what treatment will affect them for life. I'm SO glad you rescued her...she is lucky to be with someone who loves her. I hate all forms of animal abuse but I think there is a special place in hell for those who would hurt something as tiny as a chi.

Hope you come back!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your responces. I'm glad it was an over sight on my part. I have some sad news. Tula died on wensday. She must have been playing with my other dogs and somehow got her collar caught in her mouth, and stoped breathing. Thats how it looked when I go home and found her. She was only 10 mos old. i had no idea that a collar could do that, it wasn't on to tight or loose. I love her so much even if she was very shy. To think she was in pain and afraid and I wasn't here is more than I can stand. I have a room mate who works at our SPCA where all our pets came from, and she had her creamated for me. My RM/friend has a tiny chi and she was looking for another one. We talked to a breeder and I told her about Tula. Well she had a 2 & 1/2 year old female, white long hair, ( like Tula) who is also shy. She wasn't going to breed her because she is shy, a trait passed on from her father. She was looking for a special home for her. I went to meet her and couldn't believe how much she looks and acts like Tula. Lawna now lives with me. I've had her for 2 days and am concerned with her not eating ( much) I know she has lived her whole life with one person and will take time to adjust. I'm hoping some of you have gone through this before and can tell me it will be ok. My broken heart is still sore but Lawna is helping.
Cyn

·
Registered
919 Posts
That is so sad about Tula. I hope you and Lawna spend many happy years together.

I've read that collars and harnesses should come off when you crate your puppy. It seemed overprotective to me, but I removed them anyway. Now I see the reason. Still it's not a danger I would think of.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Welcome. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that you can feel better with Lawna and that you stay on this site. There's lots of friendly people and plenty of useful information.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Oh gosh I'm so sorry for your loss!
Carl doesn't wear a collar anymore because it was rubbing the skin on his neck and it was all sore and red :(
So he only wears one if we go outside.

I'm glad you got Lawna, I'm sure she'll help make some of the pain go away.
Once again, I'm sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ahhhh... how sad. I'm so sorry. I'm glad you were able to find Lawna.

Get some K-9 RESTART. It's an amazing supplement that will have any dog eating in no time at all. I'd sprinkle some on her food and also give her a bit on a teaspoon or your finger. It's the best appetite stimulant I've ever used. When I first got Chico he wasn't eating well and also the Poodles were jealous for the first few days and wouldn't eat. I gave K-9 RESTART to all of them and it put any eating problems into the past. Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
249 Posts
So sorry for your loss. It's nice that you found Lawna. When we first brought home our pup she wouldn't eat right away. We hand fed her every few hours for a couple of days. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So sorry to hear about Tula...how sad...I'm glad you found another and I wish you many happy years with her.

I think the others have given some good advice for getting her to eat. The only other thing I can think of is that you can try adding a little bit of warm water to her food (if you feed her kibble), and sometimes that makes it a little more appetizing. Or maybe try giving her some plain yogurt or cooked chicken or something else that she'll like, and mix it in with her food. It may just take a few days for her to adjust for her to start eating well, but in the meantime, make sure she's getting something, so her blood sugar doesn't fall too much. It might be good to keep some Nutri-cal on hand to give her if she's not eating, it's an energy supplement. You can find it at Petsmart if you have one nearby.

I had to hand feed Beau the first few days after I got him in order to get him to eat, maybe that will be all you need to do. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts