Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Toby has had loose stools a couple of times in the last few days but only twice. Could it be from me over feeding the ZP since I have given him a couple pieces of food at lunch time on days when he has day care? The loose stools are the day after day care. Could there be another explanation for the timing?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I hate to say this, but could it be from day care? I would imagine that just like kids, they too, could pick up viruses, etc from day care!

My six year old grandson was fine all summer long. Then back to school and 3 days later, he was sick! I mean "bug" sick!

If it's happening after a day at day care, then maybe there's something there!

Hope it goes away and stays away!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wondered that too, but it goes away right away. It is not like he is sick or anything, just one bout of loose stools and then he is fine. He is eating, drinking, playing, etc. all normally. And I have heard that overfeeding can cause loose stools. If he caught something at day care, would it be normal for him to have normal stools, one loose stool, then normal stools with no other symptoms?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Maybe its a combination of the excitement of day care and a little overfeeding on the ZP? Maybe try cutting back a bit on the ZP and see if it helps. If the stool is just loose once or twice I tend to not worry over it.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, that's what I figured. Just mom paranoia. I'll just watch it and if I notice it continuing I'll worry about it. I am going to cut his breakfast in half on days he has daycare- half for breakfast half for lunch, that way he is not getting any extra food. Hopefully that will eliminate the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Or could he eat someone else at daycares food? Get a treat or something that has stuff we do not normally feed?
This is exactly what I thought and why we have to have in-home care when we travel and why we have had behaviorists and trainers come to our home rather than us go to a place. Two would be fine but Hope would have a colitis episode if she was eating other dog's food or treats that people insist that they want to give her.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just wanted to say hope that Toby is ok!! I haven't told you but when my hubby & I first were married we adopted a lab, his name was Toby. We lost him in 2007. He was the most wonderful dog & I miss him so much. So I just love Toby's name!!😉

·
Administrator
9,989 Posts
This is exactly what I thought and why we have to have in-home care when we travel and why we have had behaviorists and trainers come to our home rather than us go to a place. Two would be fine but Hope would have a colitis episode if she was eating other dog's food or treats that people insist that they want to give her.
That would be my Sonny and my Sadie! I swear they will eat anything! They do not know that a milk bone is not good for them they just see it as food. Piggy Piggy

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or could he eat someone else at daycares food? Get a treat or something that has stuff we do not normally feed?
When I looked into the day care, they said that absolutely no food is given except for anything I provide. For lunch they are all in separate "bedrooms" to enjoy their food and take a nap. No interaction with food- too many dogs are food resource guarders, they said. So I don't think that is it.

Like I said to Christie, I don't think this is the case in this situation. He eats separate from other dogs and they don't have ANY food in the group. Plus, I watch him on the webcam and I've never seen anything out of the ordinary.

Just wanted to say hope that Toby is ok!! I haven't told you but when my hubby & I first were married we adopted a lab, his name was Toby. We lost him in 2007. He was the most wonderful dog & I miss him so much. So I just love Toby's name!!😉
Aw thanks, I love the name Toby as well (obviously). His full name is Tobias.

That would be my Sonny and my Sadie! I swear they will eat anything! They do not know that a milk bone is not good for them they just see it as food. Piggy Piggy
Toby is not like that actually, other than human food and ZP he has never really shown any interest in food or treats. Strange little dog.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
My immediate thought too. Only once since we have had Lady did she have anything remotely close to runny poop and it was after she got into the cat food that my husband forgot to pick up!

Incidentally, Lady has been a good diet for my cats who needed it. We no longer leave food down all the time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts