Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back I changed the pups over to Wellness kibble from Eukanuba, Gretel has adjusted fine, significantly less poop less often and her coat looks great. She's on the small breed adult formula by the way, he's on the puppy formula.

Godric however is having severe tummy problems, it's like he constantly has the runs poor thing and I know it's bothering him, I mixed him 1/2 and 1/2 then 1/4 3/4 till I ran out of his old stuff but he's still having a hard time with it. Maybe he isn't getting something? I'm not sure, anyone have any ideas?

It's been at least 2-3 weeks, I forget when I bought it but it's been long enough I thought he'd have adjusted by now.

·
Registered
323 Posts
go to your local store and pick up a can of punkin filling its the pie kind you can give him that to help with his runny poop, their is also something you can give him for his tummy i will find it and post it....

but you also might re think that his tummy might not handle this food and you might have to buy two different kinds.

How long have you been feeding them this food? it normally takes about 2 weeks for them to get use to new foods if longer i would re think...

I would buy the other food so he can feel better. I am sure with his tummy upset and having running poop he is not feeling the greatest...

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Get you some Probiotics and sprinkle on his food. Maybe that will help. If it doesn't, maybe a blood panel is needed. Chance used to go through that too. Always had a bad tummy. I literally can't feed him anything other than his dog food. No kibble, nothing. Just canned. Even chewies bother his stomach. I hope you are able to get him sorted out. I know it's hard to see them ill. Chance's tummy would hurt so bad that he would arch his back, and also lay his head on the ground with back end in the air. It was terrible!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Benebac Mammal Pet

Bene-Bac Powder is a concentrated live culture of four common digestive bacteria found in the intestinal tracts of mammals. Recommended any time an animal experiences stress from changing nutritional or environmental conditions. Contains 20 million CFU per gram of viable lactic acid producing bacteria.

This product should be used on animals who are or have been on antibiotics or who have diarrhea. This product does not stop diarrhea but is intended to replace good bacteria in the digestive system that is lost during their illness.

I have used this and it works...Good luck

·
Registered
809 Posts
Don't get pumpkin pie filling! If you want to try pumpkin, which is great for diarrhea in that it just provides more fiber to firm up the stool but no calories, get the plain canned stuff. The pie filling has spices and such added in that could (and probably will) upset his tummy even more.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
After 2-3 weeks...I'm going to say that he just isn't going to tolerate this food & it's time to find something new for him. I know lots of people have recommended this & we also used it for a couple months this summer/fall but ZiwiPeak & Honestly Kitchen are EXTREAMELY easy on most dogs systems. The Embark & Thrive Honest Kitchen are great for puppies & adults. ZiwiPeak, though it doesn't say on the label, is okay for all ages as well. I personally love the wet ZiwiPeak because it has the added moisture in it & it DOES NOT cause diarrhea or soft poos like most wet food. (for the record I'd not feed regular wet food if my life depended on it but I LOVE the wet ZiwiPeak!) I believe that if you switched to one of these foods for him you would more than likely see very fast results.

Good luck & no matter what you decide I do hope his tummy settles soon. Poor things bum must be so sore. :(

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Did he have the runs before the switch? I would suggest trying either Slippery Elm Bark (get at health food store) or adding some PLAIN Pumpkin you DO NOT want the pie filling kind. I keep Pumpkin on hand at all times and keep what I don't use in the freezer in containers for future use.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
ZiwiPeak & Honestly Kitchen are EXTREAMELY easy on most dogs systems.
Ditto on this, I used to keep HK on hand for upset stomachs and diarrhea back when I used to feed kibble. ZP is even better but really expensive which is why I don't use it too frequently.

Plain canned pumpkin is good but it didn't really help my dogs much when they have diarrhea or soft stool. Yogurt and probiotics have not really worked for mine either so those three may be hit or miss for certain dogs.

Slippery elm which was already suggested is excellent, I highly recommend. I also like Perfect Form digestive aid which is made by The Honest Kitchen. I've tried so many products for sensitive stomachs but Perfect Form and THK have been the only products that have yielded major success for my dogs.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Canned food will not cause runny stool, or diarrhea. My guys stools are just the same as RAW fed guys, minus the white color change. Very small, no odor, and firm. There was a thread started on poo if you are interested. :lol: If you find that your pups tummy doesn’t do well with some of the foods mentioned, as mine didn’t, you can give the canned a try. It was suggested to me by Kelly (Muzby), she feeds RAW. It retains more nutrients than kibble, and far less processing. Ziwipeak canned would be one of the better ones. You could also try EVO grain free. I can’t remember which companies had all the outsourcing going on. You’d have to look into that. Mine are on a different type diet right now due to some ugly tummy stuff we went through. At some point I will be trying to make the change to Ziwipeak canned. You’ll want to use some good low fat chewies for their teeth, and some bones. You can look around the boards for the better choice in bones. I think a diet change would help you better than Pumpkin, or even the probiotics. Once you find what works for your guy, I think he will be A okay.

We tried the perfect form, it didn't work for us. It will be one of those things that you just have to play around with until you find what works.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the overwheming responses, I really appreciate it. I made the post in a rush off to work and just got in.

I haven't decided what i'm going to do just yet, there is so much information here i'm going to have to take notes and see what works, i'll be going to the store tomorrow.

I really really want to try Ziwi I do, but it's not in my budget right now :foxes15:, it's so expensive :( so I did the best I could in kibble and the Wellness was really eons better than what he was on. I really wish he would have adjusted because Gretel is doing so well on it, she's more active than ever and she looks great, she's even slimmed a bit.

I also have considered raw a lot but, I share the decision so :roll:

I also looked at THK but when I read wet food I assumed wet poo, i'm glad that was brought up. T you said you feed your guys HK? What kind?

Also, Godric's poo smells SO ATROCIOUS, it's terrible! My poor little man is in bad shape, I found the receipt it was 3 weeks ago I switched him.

Thanks so much again, what would I do without you.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
We fed HK (Force) for about a month. I really do think it's a great food--WORLDS better than a kibble from our experience. It's very gentle & is hydrated so they get the moisture needed when they process their food which makes it easy on their system alone. But it's also minimally processed (dehydrated in 120* temps to kill any pathogens in the food) & includes only dehydrated raw veggies, fruits, meat, vitamins & minerals. All but one of the formula's is ready to feed. One formula (Preference) you must add meat to it.

The Keen formula is the least expensive. It's main ingredients are Turkey & organic oats. This formula isn't labeled as being for puppies though. The least expensive that is ok for puppies is Thrive which main ingredients are chicken & quinoa. The other "all life stages" formula is the Embark.

I was extreamely pleased when we switched to Honest Kitchen. My pups had no tummy issues & we added in one meal a day w/o introducing suddenly. I haven't heard of a pup having tummy upset from switching to HK. Worst case was the poo was a tiny bit soft but still formed. It's definitely a gentle food if you're able to go that route!

Just to warn you...don't be shocked at the "sticker price". Just remember the HK needs to be rehydrated. ;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
As for his poos...it's because his tummy just isn't agreeing with the food & it's not processing properly. The poor thing. :(

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Heather, I see that Embark and Thrive are for adults and pups, about how long does the food last? Does it give directions on the amounts to feed etc?

I've been feeding my girl 1/4 twice a day, and my boy 1/2 twice a day and she's been doing well, but if this is really good stuff I'll have to consider a switch.

I may just order some sample packs as there isn't a retailer ANYWHERE near me and see if they like it first.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I know a few people who order this food online. I can't believe you don't have a supplier near by--did you check the site for carriers? Lots of speciality stores that sell premium kibbles also sell the HK. :)

Feeding primarily HK Force, a 10lb box (which cost us $74) would last 3 weeks for six Chi's. So theoretically a 10lbs box would last your 2 over 2 months. The Embark is more expensive (by a few dollars) than the Force formula while the Thrive is about $10 cheaper than the Force. So it would cost you approx. $66 every 9 weeks or so. It all depends where you are able to get it & whether you have to pay shipping. They do sell smaller boxes than the 10lb...but buying the 10lb box you get it at a better price per pound.

It definitely gives you an idea of a feeding schedule on the box. They go by weight--I think the lowest weigh is 10lbs but I always cut that in half for most of my crew. It also depends on energy level/metabolism. And you can also add in cooked/raw meat to it as well if you choose. I personally added a spoonful of wet ziwipeak to the HK meals because I felt it lacked meat. But you don't have to add anything to it...it's got all the nutrition you need in it. :)

Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Another thing...when Godric gets a bit older--the Keen is the least expensive as I think I already said. I believe it's approx $54 for a 10lb box--so $10 cheaper than the Thrive as I mentioned above. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
On the Westie forum I belong to they always reccomend canned pumpkin for any kind of tummy trouble. Not pie filling, but canned pumpkin.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I also looked at THK but when I read wet food I assumed wet poo, i'm glad that was brought up. T you said you feed your guys HK? What kind?

Also, Godric's poo smells SO ATROCIOUS, it's terrible! My poor little man is in bad shape, I found the receipt it was 3 weeks ago I switched him.
Nah, you shouldn't have loose stools if the food agrees with his tummy. My guys have very small poos (like rabbit turd size, lol), nice and firm, no smell. THK is wet, and would be similar as far as that goes to canned. I haven't tried THK because so far since my guys all being sick, nothing has worked but the Wellness Simple (allergy formulas) Lamb & Rice canned. I really don't like that is has rice in it, because I don't think dogs really need any of those things. Carbs, Veggies, etc. However, if Jade doesn't have some type of Carb, she has sugar lows. We have tried going different routes with her, and she loses weight, and has hypo spells. She def. doesn't need any of that. All of the processing and additives in kibble was just screwing my dogs up. None of them did well on it. We tried almost every single high premium kibble out there. Then I found out about Ziwipeak, started them on that, and for a bit did quite well on it. That's when I introduced it here on the boards. Many have used it, and still using it, and have great success. But my guys got HGE while on it, and even though we don't think it had anything to do with it, it's too high in protein and fat for their system since being so sick. If you can't afford to go with ZP, or THK, and can't try RAW, I really would suggest a high premium canned. It takes very little to feed them. I use 1 can of canned food a day for all 4 of mine. Wellness makes the allergy formula that may work really well for you, and they also make a 95% meat, canned. EVO makes a grain free canned that is good too. I think ZP's canned is by far the best, but runs about $4 a can. That's what we will be switching too soon. Anyway, just some suggestions. I hope everything gets better for you guys. No fun at all when your pups have tummy troubles. Let us know how things are going.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I agree with those that mentioned The Honest Kitchen. I have had great success with it and feed it almost exclusively now and both of mine have sensitive stomachs. I feed the Embark, Force, and the Zeal formula's.

One thing that surprised me was I went from kibble straight to The Honest Kitchen and didn't even need to add it in slowly, they had no issues adjusting to it right away, no diarrhea, nothing. With kibble, I always had to add it slowly to prevent problems. I'm not saying I recommend an immediate switch, but just mentioning that's how easy it has been on my little ones. I also used to have monthly anal gland issues with Roo, no more! Mine were hesitant to eat it at first, but they absolutely love it now. Most shops that sell it do have samples on hand as well, which is nice. I recommend it highly, their coats are also so much better since being on it. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks T :]

Godric had 2, sort of okay poops today. Still not good but I am going to order some snack size THK and see if he'll take to it because it sounds like something worth looking in to. I wish ZP wasn't so atrociously expensive because it sounds great but THK sounds much more reasonable and may even cost less than buying premium kibble at the petstore, I usually get a 5-6lb bag for $18 so Hk is actually a little cheaper per pound.

I just try to give them the best I can and I know with work being how it is everyone is feeling the crunch trying to save, quality of their food is the last thing I want to be affected by our budgeting so I just have to shop around a bit.

Thanks again everyone, Godric (and more importantly I) appreciate it, we're going to sort him out yet! He's at least happy and hyper even if his backside isn't that happy.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Most shops that sell it do have samples on hand as well, which is nice. I recommend it highly, their coats are also so much better since being on it. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)
There isn't a single shop ANYWHERE near me, i'm so mad! I have to order some, which is fine, but i'm going to ask the manager at our local petsmart if she could see about a small section.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts