Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months I've been rounding up the dogs (2 boys only), and growling "Nooooo Barking" at them because every time someone walks down the street (even without a dog) they rush out & bark - with a dog, omg, it was bedlam.

I've never had a decent spray bottle, but had to get one of those silent, pump pressure ones to spray my AG Parrot with daily. After a full-on day of barking, I grabbed it & was after the boys, spraying & saying, "Noooooooo Barking" as I went, and it worked a treat!!!

Two days of doing that consistently and now they'll just let out 1 little bark before they remember that mum & that big 'ol bottle of water will be after us if we keep it up.

Before the bottle, I was using treats to stop them by saying "Nooooooooo Barking" and saying "Come! Come!" but that was no-where near as effective as the bottle, they'd generally only come after a few decent warning barks had been given.

I thoroughly recommend this to anyone, it has not at all changed the way they come to me for cuddles etc. or made them afraid of me in any way whatsoever, it's simply taught them barking is a big no-no!

I'm hopeful they'll simply stand & watch quietly within a week. There's been several occasions where they've actually done that already which is immensely pleasing.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Great idea! Now that I moved my living room around Bailey can look out the window. She likes to let me know every time someone walks by lol.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Thats exactly what we started doing with our rescue mojo! He would bark his head off at the park and embarrass me to no end, so finally I tried using a spray bottle and it was a MIRACLE! If he hears it squirts, he immediately stops what he's doing and ducks, lol!! I'm glad it worked for you Dee!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes it does work, i just about gave up on charchi untill i used the spray bottle, he stops barking straight away, i have been using it for a few weeks now, and sometimes i only have to say to him, i,ll get the bottle, and he stops immediatley, also it hasen,t made him scared to come in the shower with me or take a bath either, so horay for the spray bottle i say.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Same here! I've been using it on Angel for quite some time. All I have to do is pick up the bottle and sometimes he stops! But, he is not afraid of it. I think he just doesn't like the water being sprayed. It always feels cold when it is sprayed no matter how warm it is!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would add 2 things though - it's got to be one of those bottles with the pump action (big stick on top that you pump up & down to build up pressure) for optimum "reach" - I sit up in bed & squirt the thing straight out the open French doors onto the deck, mwahahah, AND you must accompany tje drenching with the words "Nooooooooo Barking" so they associate the consequence with their action.

If you can't find the water bottle, use the kid's huge great big water gun, now that really impresses the neighbours that you'll go to any length to give them peace & quite lmao - or they think you're fit to be commited.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm going to try this straightaway. Our rescue Chi Frida is wearing us down with the barking- we're seeing very slow progress by stopping and holding her on a short leash if she barks, but honestly, she doesn't usually seem to mind having her walk interrupted.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
So far I have not needed this tactic, but I see you have become the expert in two days. So I am now content that I am armed with the info if and when the time comes that I will need it!

I can just imagine you all armed up like a drill sargeant ordering "Noooooo barking"!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts