Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've been back at my mom's for about six days, Chip has since become INFESTED with fleas. She's renting the place, and there's not carpet, and the entire house is covered. She bombed it and it didn't even touch the flea population, apparently.

Anyway, Chip's itching got so bad that when I looked him over, he had scratched himself raw (he looks like a leper ;-;) on his belly, his neck, his shoulder, and the backs of his legs. He chewed spots on his back and tail. They're scabbing over now, but he looks awful and I know he's miserable. Today I went to the vet and spoke with them about what to do- I got a Vectra treatment (flea topical), Clavamox, and Prednisone. The fleas have been falling off dead and there was less scratching within about 45 minutes...my big question is, does anyone know anything about any of these medicines that would make them dangerous to small dogs? The Clavamox made my cat very sick when he had to take it last summer, but I've never had to put Chip on a medicine before so I'm not sure how he'll react.

Something else that has been bugging me is that, since I got him, Chip has been pawing at his face/muzzle. He does have terrible allergies- his eyes are always watering- but I'm worried it has to do with his teeth. He's missing some teeth on the bottom left side, and he had that retained canine that I pulled, so I don't know. I thought it would end after I got that canine out. Is it possible it's his allergies? The vet didn't comment on any tooth but that extra deciduous one at his initial visit. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
As for fleas, the flea bomb can be dangerous for him. You will have to get rid of the infestation in the house and yard before you can completely free him of fleas. Treat your yard with something that is safe for dogs like "Diatomaceous Earth".
Get something from your vet to treat your home, the key is to vacuum first and under everything, then treat the floors, drapes, etc... after treatment vacuum again in about an hour. Also wait about 15 days and do the same thing over again to kill what has hatched. You can treat him with a frontline plus or something as such or you can google to find something less harmful online to treat him with. But stay away from the over the counter spot on's, shampoo's, dips, etc... that are sold at Walmart and Pet stores as they can be deadly.

The scratching at the face sounds like an allergy, what are you feeding? It could also be a tooth but you said that the vet didnt mention teeth issues right?
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNGTh5rJw4WaW8ijKfx4wXZ20wfz7Q&cad=rja

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, she bombed it months ago. I would LOVE to bomb the house again- I helped a friend do her apartment and know the "procedures" for it, LOL- but my mom doesn't want to bother and I can't do it without her permission, simply because it is HER house. I will hopefully be in my own place sometime in the next month, and at that point I'm hoping I can finally get him to feeling much better. At that point, I would prefer to not use any topical/pill at all. I know there are much better things than topicals, but Advantage did not work for him and the fleas are literally falling off dead on the floor as I run my hands through his fur.

I am feeding him raw. I think the allergies are environmental...he is fine when he wakes up until he goes outside, and that's when the eye watering starts. I'm just worried that he's pawing at his mouth because of another tooth issue, one that isn't visible to the eye without an x-ray.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Poor little guy, all that itching sounds terrible. I can't imagine having bugs carwling all over me biting me.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
i'm not going to lie, if I were in that case I wouldn't be personally staying there i'd be moving out I think that's unsanitary -i'm also afraid of fleas tho..- and your poor furbaby...of course I know that isn't an option for you I just feel horrible that your stuck in such a situation and poor love bug!

I would keep trying to get her to let you because the issue isn't going to go away totally and poor baby..maybe if possible letting him stay with a friend simply because it sounds like such a bad situation until you are able to move out like you said.

Here's hoping it will change for you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts