Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1 - Godric has been acting wild lately. A lot of tail chasing, the occasional bum drag and even this morning licking his bottom, just weird. He's 9 months old now, could his gland perhaps need expressed? I don't notice any smell, and other than that he's his normal cry-baby self. The reason I ask is because I was a wee bit late giving them their worm medicine this month (it's been so hectic and I just completely spaced it) but i've been watching for worms, or eggs, and nothing so far. I only worry because he eats literally anything he comes in contact with outside before I can even get it from him he swallows.

Vet worthy trip perhaps.

#2 - Gretel is a chronic poo-eater. I cannot stand it. The problem is that it happens in the blink of an eye - I can turn my back, he can go to the potty pad and in an instant she's on it before I even have a second to register what happened - but she doesn't try it outside, only on G's or her own if she has an accident.

I'm usually pretty good at catching her, but lately she's upped her game and she's driving me crazy. We've changed her diet, added vitamins etc. because I hear they do that when they're deficient but she's ALWAYS done this to the point I think it's a habit or something, not trying to sound gross and go into detail but it's not even like she eats it she just chomps it up and leaves me a mess.

Any suggestions? We tried pineapple juice at the suggestion of our groomer but that didn't really help other than making it smell horrific.

Also, Godric doesn't have this problem at all so I don't understand it.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I think Godric definitely needs his glands expressed. He is showing you all the signs that it needs to be done.

You could try a product called Forbid for Gretel. I'm not sure if it works though, but worth a try. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think Godric definitely needs his glands expressed. He is showing you all the signs that it needs to be done.

You could try a product called Forbid for Gretel. I'm not sure if it works though, but worth a try. :)
Thanks Lisa, Gretel doesn't show signs I just "know" when she needs hers done and this is the first time G has shown anything.

I'll look into Forbid reviews and such :]

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
It does sound like glands. Yoshi showed no signs of his glands needing expressed and his were a mess.

I would continue with the Pineapple juice. You may need to put more in it?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$47 dollars later.

I called the salon to setup an appointment for my two this weekend so I could kill two birds with one stone and get their glands and nails done - Gretels rabies were out of date so they told me I couldn't. Alright sure so I call the vet.

Gretel got her yearly and took it like a champ. Godric got his glands expressed however, he said they weren't full at all soo...who knows. I'm just going to watch him, he said it might be a skin allergy because I haven't had any flea problems, and "blues" are usually prone so skin irritation. Godric also managed to get a knot on his head somehow today but he wasn't worried.

I am going to buy more juice and keep trying, I don't really want to use any pills/chemicals etc. i'd rather chance the sugar rush she might get off the juice.

On that note, I need to quit referring people to my vet, I sat in the waiting room forever today! Usually we're in and out 15 minutes or less and today it was 45 minutes later!

The lady ahead of me had a VERY obese pommeranian that was wheezing literally like a pig the entire time (LOUD) and all I heard was something about fluid in the lungs, congestive heart failure, and he will die etc. and the lady kept denying and denying he had anything wrong other than "something stuck in his throat" Oi!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Leo's a poo eater too :( I havent tried it, but Heather (cprcheetah) suggested sprinkling meat tenderizer seasoning on their food. She said that worked for her when pineapple juice failed. Might be worth a try. Just when I think/hope maybe Leos "outgrown" it, I catch him at it again, so I should probably give it a try too.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Don't have any suggestions on Godric. Honestly, I don't ever give my dogs' anal glands even one thought! They NEVER show ANY signs of having issues, needing them expressed, being uncomfortable etc., so I don't ever think about it.

I get it on the poop eating thing. Unfortunately Tango occasionally does that, too. He doesn't actually eat it, and most of the time leaves his poop entirely alone. But occasionally he decides it's time to "investigate" it, is the way I think about it. He'll paw at it, pick it up and put it down again, and move it. He doesn't actually try to ingest it. A couple times I've seen him shaking his paw like cats do, y'know? Because he's got poop stuck to it lol! And he only ever messes with his poop, not Jazz's. I've not tried very hard to change the behavior, as it only happens occasionally, so I don't really have any suggestions for that, either I'm afraid.

I'm thankful I don't have cats! My poor daughter rescued a very fearful, sick little mutt a year ago, who's turned into the most wonderful little rascal, with the exception that he just LOVES to crunch on the litter box poop of her cats. GROSS!!!! It's like she thinks they're little appetizers or something. Ugh!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts